PDA

View Full Version : The Do Everything Bike?

BobbyJones
09-22-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm looking for some opinions and suggestions on my latest dilemma- I want to get down to one "good" bike.

I have race bike I haven't ridden in a year and a winter "beater" I can't stay off of- a Soma Smoothie ES. So far this year its been loaded with racks and panniers for long weekend touring and with clips & straps its my go to bike when ever I don't have to lock up here in the City. A few go fast rides with friends were a bit tough- especially with heavy 32c's.

I'm thinking about going custom to have something a little more purpose built done. Titanium. Long reach brakes. Maybe cantis. Sporty geometry and tubing that can handle some touring and dirt road exploration without riding like a tank. I like the Soma, but it's a bit too soft for me under load.

Any one else do something like this as an only bike? Any ideas on mfg's? I'm thinking of talking to Strong or Independent but would love to hear thoughts / opinions.

So lets hear 'em.

roguedog
09-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Any good builder can build you what you ask for but to me... what you describe is.. a Hampsten. Ti Strada Bianca. Yum..

dd74
09-22-2011, 01:22 AM
I want to get down to one "good" bike.
Coeur d'Acier or Classique Ti, provided you stick with Serotta. Otherwise, I'd go for a more cyclocross type of bike to do everything.

uber
09-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Call Tom Kellogg

alexstar
09-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Call Tom Kellogg

Quoted for truth - this is actually a bike I will order, hopefully soon. Titanium Spectrum with couplers, etc.

My brother is awaiting delivery of a Hampsten Strada Bianca Ti with couplers. This sounds like it could also be the bike you're looking for.

6mt
09-22-2011, 01:58 AM
from the sound of it, i think Moots' Psychlo X might be what you're looking for. Ti, go fast geo, canti or disk brakes, options for fender & rack mounts.

here is a link to a write up from Bike rumor.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/09/03/moots-launches-mx-divide-full-suspension-29er-updates-mooto-x-frames-starts-making-psychlo-x-rsl/

fogrider
09-22-2011, 02:13 AM
can do it all. if I remember correctly, steelman built the stage racer as a road bike with lots of tire clearance, put some brakes with wide clearance and you're good to go. it pretty much looked and rode like a great race bike and you can hit some trails but don't expect it to be a touring or cross bike. I like stiff bikes and I notice when lightweight frames or parts flex. but I like the lightweight stuff and feel the need for 3 road bikes and a cross bike.

palincss
09-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Any good builder can build you what you ask for but to me... what you describe is.. a Hampsten. Ti Strada Bianca. Yum..

I'd be surprised if a Ti Strada Bianca would be so very good loaded down with racks and luggage.

I'd suggest the first thing BobbyJones should do is replace those heavy 32mm tires with something nice, like the Grand Bois Cypres 30mm. That will make his Soma a lot nicer at minimal expense, and let him consider his options at leisure.

I don't understand why folks are suggesting S&S couplers. There's nothing in BobbyJones' original post suggesting he needs a coupled bike.

R2D2
09-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Call Tom Kellogg
+1 if you have the jack.
If not you could use a Habanero Cross frame,etc..........

Fixed
09-22-2011, 06:10 AM
http://www.serotta.com/news-events/65/Details/
cheers

rugbysecondrow
09-22-2011, 06:17 AM
I love my Bedford sport toured (see below). I want to get a TI Bedford built for fatter tires but with a sporty geometry.

I would talk to Kelly to see what he could do for you. This is what he built for a friend of Smiley, certianly similar to what you are looking for.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=89137&page=1&pp=15&highlight=bedford

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6171/6171661949_f39dd5c082_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20633735@N07/6171661949/)
IMG_2778 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20633735@N07/6171661949/) by pherrickp (http://www.flickr.com/people/20633735@N07/), on Flickr

bicycletricycle
09-22-2011, 06:17 AM
i really like the looks of this bike-
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=87313

i think something like this could do the job.

its pretty similar to what you have now, but the long reach brakes sound like they are providing you enough clearance and in my experience long reach side pulls stop just as well as most cantis so unless even bigger tires are in the future i would stick with them. It sounds like you just need a smoothie with thicker/stiffer tubing for touring. I think that lots of builders could supply you with one of these. Are there any builders close to were you live?

if you did want more clearance i would get paul racers, i have them on my riv and they are fantastic.

if your new frame was ti would you get a steel or carbon fork?

palincss
09-22-2011, 06:56 AM
It sounds like you just need a smoothie with thicker/stiffer tubing for touring. I think that lots of builders could supply you with one of these.

The OP has some contradictory and almost mutually exclusive desires:

Sporty geometry and tubing that can handle some touring and dirt road exploration without riding like a tank. I like the Soma, but it's a bit too soft for me under load.

Stiffen up the frame enough to avoid feeling "soft under load" and very likely, there goes your sprightly unloaded ride, replaced by "riding like a tank". Unfortunately, the entire "Do Everything" bike is a lot like the "jack of all trades": master of none.

sg8357
09-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Ebisu All Purpose, with two sets of wheels.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/aboutframes_e.html

jr59
09-22-2011, 07:44 AM
The OP has some contradictory and almost mutually exclusive desires:

Stiffen up the frame enough to avoid feeling "soft under load" and very likely, there goes your sprightly unloaded ride, replaced by "riding like a tank". Unfortunately, the entire "Do Everything" bike is a lot like the "jack of all trades": master of none.

I too think that this is correct!
It's hard to make one bike a do everything well bike.
Will it ride better loaded or unloaded? Front load, or rear?
Long chain stays for heel clearance and a lower bottom bracket will smooth out the ride loaded, but how will it be off road? Or on a local fast club ride?
Much less a race.

Of the builders named and unnamed here, all could build you something close to what you seek. Yet there will be trade offs, as the OP said, "jack of all trades, and yet Master of none!

I guess it's what you can live with. :)

oldpotatoe
09-22-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm looking for some opinions and suggestions on my latest dilemma- I want to get down to one "good" bike.

I have race bike I haven't ridden in a year and a winter "beater" I can't stay off of- a Soma Smoothie ES. So far this year its been loaded with racks and panniers for long weekend touring and with clips & straps its my go to bike when ever I don't have to lock up here in the City. A few go fast rides with friends were a bit tough- especially with heavy 32c's.

I'm thinking about going custom to have something a little more purpose built done. Titanium. Long reach brakes. Maybe cantis. Sporty geometry and tubing that can handle some touring and dirt road exploration without riding like a tank. I like the Soma, but it's a bit too soft for me under load.

Any one else do something like this as an only bike? Any ideas on mfg's? I'm thinking of talking to Strong or Independent but would love to hear thoughts / opinions.

So lets hear 'em.

Custom Moots?

BobbyJones
09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Custom Moots?

It was my understanding that Moots wasn't really doing "custom" anymore but really just custom sizing. Maybe i'm completely off? I get the impression that Hampsten may be in that same boat as well. I haven't actually gotten the ball rolling yet- just surfing the web for ideas.

Spectrum and Bedford sound like a good direction as well.

And guys, i realize there's not going to be a silver bullet for this one. If there has to be a compromise for the 30 days a year it'll go touring, so be it. I'd like to think there's a builder out there who recognizes this and has experience in this area: that's who i'm looking for.

The Soma is pretty good for me- the geo and clearances are ok both loaded and unloaded. Just a bit too much flex in the BB area, especially with weight.

I've ridden Cannondales my entire adult life so maybe my idea of stiff may be a bit skewed.

Thanks

Aaron O
09-22-2011, 01:51 PM
What you're describing is my dream bike that I will build myself at some point, hopefully.

When that day comes I'm going to Spectrum. Mr. Kellogg represents the ultimate in a titanium frame to me - quality tubing from Merlin, quality build work by Seven and the finishing touches and fitwork by Mr. Kelogg.

My dream ti bike will have sports tourer'ish geometry (think Raleigh International with slightly longer stays and higher ST), disc brakes or mini v's (haven't decided), rolhoff IGH, couplers, rack braze ons, three sets of bottle bossesand titanium racks - either custom or designed to work with the new Tubus ti racks. Room for 32s with fenders or 35 without.

dd74
09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
So what is the best do-everything material? I would think either steel or Ti, and with a minimal amount of c/f.

Dave Kirk comes to mind for something do-everything like.

yetitotheheady
09-22-2011, 02:05 PM
http://www.speedhoundbikes.com/only-one/

I like bicycletricycle's suggestion and I don't think its possible to go wrong with Hampsten.

BobbyJones
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
So what is the best do-everything material? I would think either steel or Ti, and with a minimal amount of c/f.

Ahh... Kirk as well. I'm thinking ti. When I like 'em, I tend to keep a bike around for a LONG time, so I'm thinking titanium because I've never owned one. (I only recently sold my first C'dale from 1989 or so)

Alliance looks like a nice ride, but with all the props he gives Strong, I'd rather go direct to the master and pay for the experience- no offense to Erik.

I'm glad I asked this on the forum- I never even thought about Tom Kellogg..

Acotts
09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Here is my do-everything.

Note the Couplers, disk brakes, and horizontal dropouts (rockers?) Its gonna be hooked up to an IGH and a dynohub up front.

:beer:

BobbyJones
09-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Make sure you post when you get that tinker toy set put together!

I'm jonesin' for an IGH / rohloff myself, but it just doesn't fit the "swap the wheels" criteria!

Seriously looking at a dyno though.

Acotts
09-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Roger that!

The real do-all bike is a funny beast.

My CAAD 9 will be lighter, stifer and faster.
My Sach Team will be lighter and twitchier (tighter handling) have no watterbottle bosses, lol!
My MTBs will be longer, and better at tackling obsticles and hucking jumps.

That said, I think the Dornbox is gonna get the most saddle time. You know, for all the times where going max speed isn't the priority. Which these days is most of the time. Im so ready for it.

Bradford
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Stiffen up the frame enough to avoid feeling "soft under load" and very likely, there goes your sprightly unloaded ride, replaced by "riding like a tank".
Good touring bikes do not feel like tanks, the ride very nicely unloaded. I wouldn't be surprised if crappy touring bikes ride like tanks.

Good touring bikes are, however, heavier, so they are slower, especially up hill. Have two sets of wheels and you can get past some of that, but real touring bikes have heavier tubes and bits, so they are heavier.

I went years with just my touring bike and it was great. I ended up getting a Legend because I was doing a lot of long group rides and was working a little too hard pushing the big bike and keeping up. Now that I don't do any group rides I ride both of them and find them equally nice, just different.

I think the answer is a light tourer. Serotta Rapid Tour geometry, Indy Fab Club racer, Mootour...that kind of bike. Stout enough to tour, light enough to keep up, comfortable enough for both.

BobbyJones
09-22-2011, 03:31 PM
...My CAAD 9 will be lighter, stifer and faster.

The odd thing is I rode my CAAD9 plenty offroad (not talking singletrack) with Conti GP 4seasons 25c with no problem- probably 75 miles a week off pave all last season. And before that it was a CAAD5 with a seatpost mounted rack to carry an overnight bag.

Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction with this! :)

Good touring bikes do not feel like tanks, the ride very nicely unloaded.

I'd like to think this as as well. And I bought the Soma with the thought of it as a "poor man's Club Racer". I'm hooked.

tuscanyswe
09-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Here is my do-everything.

Note the Couplers, disk brakes, and horizontal dropouts (rockers?) Its gonna be hooked up to an IGH and a dynohub up front.

:beer:

That geo look funky you should get a proper fit and sell that junk to me ! :)
Sounds like a great bike! I want one of these too

veloduffer
09-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I had Jim Kish build a titanium all-rounder bike for me with eyelets for a rear rack (day touring). It is essentially a cyclocross bike with road geometry. I had looked at a custom Moots and others and Jim's work is outstanding and lower price too!

I use it for fast group rides, super hilly climbs (I put a triple on it) and fire roads. It handles everything with aplomb.

Here's the thread and pics: Kish All-Rounder (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=70149&highlight=kish)

palincss
09-22-2011, 04:07 PM
And guys, i realize there's not going to be a silver bullet for this one. If there has to be a compromise for the 30 days a year it'll go touring, so be it. I'd like to think there's a builder out there who recognizes this and has experience in this area: that's who i'm looking for.

The Soma is pretty good for me- the geo and clearances are ok both loaded and unloaded. Just a bit too much flex in the BB area, especially with weight.

One possible compromise might be to carry less weight when you're touring. Just how much of a load do you plan to carry, anyway?

Hardlyrob
09-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Exactly what I was thinking - my Kirk is a do everything road bike. Long reach brakes, finder mounts, set up to go fast, or do D2R2 - which it was spectacular on, slightly slacker geometry for an all day ride.

Dave totally gets the multi-use aspect of a great ride.

Give him a call!

Cheers!

Rob

BobbyJones
09-22-2011, 04:37 PM
One possible compromise might be to carry less weight when you're touring. Just how much of a load do you plan to carry, anyway?

Not alot by touring standards, but not exactly ultralight either. Last trip weighed in at 14kg (about 30 lbs) which included pannier weight (about 6lbs) but not rack weight.

I think by next year I'll be shaving off some more to hopefully come in at 25 lbs of cargo. It's a far cry from what I've seen some people carrying.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-22-2011, 04:37 PM
My Kirk Terraplane "all-rounder" with couplers is moving its way up JB's paint queue.

palincss
09-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Not alot by touring standards, but not exactly ultralight either. Last trip weighed in at 14kg (about 30 lbs) which included pannier weight (about 6lbs) but not rack weight.

I think by next year I'll be shaving off some more to hopefully come in at 25 lbs of cargo. It's a far cry from what I've seen some people carrying.

Indeed it is, and it's almost down to the level that would suit a "light touring bike" -- and that means your goal might actually be achievable.

bicycletricycle
09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
i dont really like it when my bike gets wobbly feeling during high speed descents while touring. 25 to 30 pound loads require a loaded touring type bike IMHO. Especially with load on the front. I think that their are a lot of competent builders who will be able to build you something that will suit your needs. The big question is what is more important, a good handling loaded bike or a smooth riding road bike. The stiffness required for touring will work against you the rest of the year as far as ride quality is concerned. If you plan on keeping 30mm + tires on year around than i think that this will be less on an issue.

Aaron O
09-22-2011, 05:55 PM
i dont really like it when my bike gets wobbly feeling during high speed descents while touring. 25 to 30 pound loads require a loaded touring type bike IMHO. Especially with load on the front. I think that their are a lot of competent builders who will be able to build you something that will suit your needs. The big question is what is more important, a good handling loaded bike or a smooth riding road bike. The stiffness required for touring will work against you the rest of the year as far as ride quality is concerned. If you plan on keeping 30mm + tires on year around than i think that this will be less on an issue.

I have ridden touring bikes that have done well loaded and unloaded. My Koga Miyata Traveler doesn't feel like a Surly LHT unloaded and it's nice and stable with 70 + lbs as well. My old Lotus Odyssey was the same way...nice riding bike unloaded, but still felt fine going camping. I think Surly's LHT has lowered the standards for full tourers.

I think this stuff gets worse on larger frames, and, as I recall, you're a larger guy.

The key to an all arounder, IMO, is not expecting it to do the extremes well. It's not going to be a great tool for full on loaded touring, but it can handle one rack worth of stuff with aplomb. It's not as quick as a crit bike and you can't use it for racing, but it still descends well and retains some pep. It's not a MTB for technical off road riding, but it'llget you over gravel, dirt, etc.

Acotts
09-23-2011, 08:01 AM

That was pretty much the deal I had to stike with Dornbach. He essentially said, if you want this thing to feel like a cross bike (fast and fun....a bit twitchy), then you cant put more than 30lbs on it touring. I thought it a fair trade off.

I plan on using mostly in-frame bags. I hear that helps out a lot.

What are folk's experiences: Re In-frame bags?

-A

oldpotatoe
09-23-2011, 08:16 AM
It was my understanding that Moots wasn't really doing "custom" anymore but really just custom sizing. Maybe i'm completely off? I get the impression that Hampsten may be in that same boat as well. I haven't actually gotten the ball rolling yet- just surfing the web for ideas.

Spectrum and Bedford sound like a good direction as well.

I've ridden Cannondales my entire adult life so maybe my idea of stiff may be a bit skewed.

Thanks
You mean like long reach brakes and such? Sure they will. I had them make me a Moots fixie, complete with rear facing track dropouts.

jbay
09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Long reach brakes, finder mounts[...]Sounds like a Holy Grail bike? :rolleyes:

-- John

Hardlyrob
09-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Put it this way - since it was delivered in August 2008, I've ridden my Serotta CSi that I love exactly twice

Rob

bicycletricycle
09-23-2011, 09:24 AM
The soma San Marcos that rivendell designed looks like it could be a candidate, grant says not for touring but he is conservative so the light weight stuff your doing might be fine. It's lugged :)

John H.
09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Look at Firefly- they have made a few long reach brake/fender type bikes of late. They are currently making one for a friend of mine. Long reach brakes, Serotta Fork for long reach and fenders/fender mounts on frame and fork.

Ken Robb
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I have 3 bikes that cover the range of do-it-all bikes. At the lightest end of the spectrum (pun intended) is my ti Strada Bianca w/YBB rear end that weighs little more than my now-sold Legend but takes at least 32mm tires. It has no braze-ons for fenders or racks but it handles ok with a BIG Hoss Saddlebag with 20 lbs in it.

Next up in weight is my Riv Rambouillet which can take 32mm tires but I have to deflate the tires to clear the brakes to remove/install a wheel. It has eyelets for racks/fenders and also does well with at least 20 lbs in a big saddle bag. The handling is "sport touring" to me. Stable but not truck-like.

My heaviest and most load-capable bike is my Rivendell Allrounder. It has plenty of eyelets, 45.5 chainstays, clearance for 52mm tires. I have had 30 lbs in a big saddle bag with and without a rear rack. It's a bit tricky to hold it up while I swing a leg over the saddle but I don't notice the weight once I'm under way. Riv says this bike, which is a made-in-USA version of the made-in-Japan Atlantis production frame, is fine for loaded touring with panniers, etc.

I suggest that you try something like a Rambouillet because it's pretty good at all the riding you described and should be available at a reasonable price. After you ride it for a while in different conditions you MAY decide what you might want to change while understanding that improving one aspect of performance will reduce performance in another category. Heck, there's a really good chance that you will be happy with a Rambo just as it is. Look at all the $$ you'll save.

So: for riding on any roads-paved or not-and easy single-track with up to 15 lbs. in a saddle bag I'd grab the Hampsten.

For riding any kind of road and really easy single-track with a pretty big saddle bag or tail rack, and fenders it's Rambo though it weighs a bit more.

For fully loaded touring on pavement or riding off road like I was on my rigid Bridgestone MB-3 it's the Allrounder/Atlantis with any combination of racks and fenders. You can ride it unladen on skinny tires but it won't feel as sprightly as the other two.

Ti Designs
09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
A few years back the Seven I was riding stopped working - yes, bikes do that sometimes. I wound up ordering a Serotta, the model was later called a La Corsa which is italian for "too cheap to stay in their line up". At the time there was some guy named Bedford at the drafting table at Serotta. I figured this would be easy as I simply wanted a [working] copy of my Seven's geometry. There were a number of phone calls, he was afraid my geometry and tubing selection was too steep and too stiff. Unrideable was the term he used... What they delivered was a bike that somehow handled better than my Seven did before it broke, cleared some 28c tires, climbed better than most bikes I've tried and sprinted better than just about anything.

OK, it's not a do everything bike, but it's damn close. It's not a tandem, but how many bikes are? It's really not a touring bike, but if I'm touring I have to take my girlfriend with me 'cause I have no sense of direction, and we already know it's not a tandem. It's not really a cyclocross bike, which makes a lot of local cross racers happy 'cause I tend to go the same speed on dirt as I do on the road. It's not a utility bike, but on one of my apple pie rides I did hook up the trailer and tow a few bags of apples and a pumpkin home. It is a good sprinter's bike, while towing the trailer I managed to win a town line. It's never complained about being cold, so it must be a good winter bike. It went up Mt Washington with me, so it climbs...

My real reason for calling it the do everything bike is that it's the closest bike to the door with air in the tires.

bfd
09-23-2011, 12:33 PM
I suggest that you try something like a Rambouillet because it's pretty good at all the riding you described and should be available at a reasonable price. After you ride it for a while in different conditions you MAY decide what you might want to change while understanding that improving one aspect of performance will reduce performance in another category. Heck, there's a really good chance that you will be happy with a Rambo just as it is. Look at all the $$ you'll save.

The problem here is that the Riv Rambo is no longer in production. I do agree that you may want to take a look at a Rivendell to see what else they may be offering. For example, you could get the San Marco that someone else recommended, but then you have to like double top tubes in a size 56 or larger (what's up with that?!) :bike: :crap: :confused:

In fact, what's up with Grant P/Riv these days? It seems like he has to come up with crazier stuff to differentiate his bikes from everyone else. I use to follow him and liked the Riv Reader. He use to make good sense like higher handlebars, using smaller big chainrings like 48 or less and making bikes more useful like using 650b on older "racing" style bikes. However, lately he's gotten more and more out there in search of being different and to the point that much of what he sells doesn't interest me. Further, he's on this carbon bashing thing, especially forks. Sorry, but there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of carbon forks out there and they are not collapsing and causing death and destruction. At this point, I find him becoming more and more irrelevant....Good Luck!

Ken Robb
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
The problem here is that the Riv Rambo is no longer in production. I do agree that you may want to take a look at a Rivendell to see what else they may be offering. For example, you could get the San Marco that someone else recommended, but then you have to like double top tubes in a size 56 or larger (what's up with that?!) :bike: :crap: :confused:

In fact, what's up with Grant P/Riv these days? It seems like he has to come up with crazier stuff to differentiate his bikes from everyone else. I use to follow him and liked the Riv Reader. He use to make good sense like higher handlebars, using smaller big chainrings like 48 or less and making bikes more useful like using 650b on older "racing" style bikes. However, lately he's gotten more and more out there in search of being different and to the point that much of what he sells doesn't interest me. Further, he's on this carbon bashing thing, especially forks. Sorry, but there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of carbon forks out there and they are not collapsing and causing death and destruction. At this point, I find him becoming more and more irrelevant....Good Luck!

I assume that the OP would consider used bikes as well as new and I think the A. Homer Hilson that Riv now sells is pretty close to a Rambouillet.

TimD
09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Salsa Vaya Ti.

Heresy, I know.

Whatever you get, do consider using disk brakes.

BobbyJones
09-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Whatever you get, do consider using disk brakes.

Simply asked- why?

TimD
09-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, it is kinda like "ride one, you'll see." Prior to using them first on a "road" bike I had not ridden them on a mountain bike - I'm not a mountain biker, at least not at the moment, and don't own an MTB. When I did ride them on the road, on my own version of a "do most" bike, I was really surprised how amazing they are.

To summarize, the braking performance is superior in all circumstances, end of story.

If this is truly a "do it all bike", then overall weight and wheel weight are not primary considerations. Riding downhill with 40 lbs load in any weather is part of the operating envelope. Maybe that's on gravel, as it would be on the D2R2, for example (although during that event the load would be less), or maybe it is on a 20-mile, 6% downhill (Adventure Cycling "Cycle the Gorge", descending out of Pinchot Wilderness).

Caliper brakes, V-brakes, and cantis can be very effective. I have caliper brakes on my "go fast" and "do centuries" bikes and I'm not changing. But the performance of rim brakes decreases, maybe drastically, in the rain. Sure, you can fit wet pads and clean your rims before every rain ride, but I'm not willing to do that. Sustained application of rim brakes risks overheating the rim, and that's not really something I like to think about while bombing downhill on loose gravel at 35 MPH (again, D2R2).

I haven't ridden the Alps or any large mountain range for that matter, but someone might on their "one bike", in which case they'll possibly find themselves going downhill at 50+ MPH (given sufficiently large attachments), or braking continuously to maintain a sane speed. Again, that's a situation where a disk is going to be superior and arguably safer than a rim brake.

ATMO.

Wilkinson4
09-23-2011, 10:53 PM
My dream do it all bike if I had the coin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moots-Mootour-Complete-Titanium-Bike-SIZE-56-Ultegra-Triple-/170701555792?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item27be9b0850#ht_745wt_1333

Do it all bikes are fairly difficult if you throw in touring. Rando bikes are about as close as you can get but I would much rather have a real touring rig. Like a Sakkit or maybe Ahearne building a cool camping bike.

mIKE

rounder
09-23-2011, 11:19 PM
A few years back the Seven I was riding stopped working - yes, bikes do that sometimes. I wound up ordering a Serotta, the model was later called a La Corsa which is italian for "too cheap to stay in their line up". At the time there was some guy named Bedford at the drafting table at Serotta. I figured this would be easy as I simply wanted a [working] copy of my Seven's geometry. There were a number of phone calls, he was afraid my geometry and tubing selection was too steep and too stiff. Unrideable was the term he used... What they delivered was a bike that somehow handled better than my Seven did before it broke, cleared some 28c tires, climbed better than most bikes I've tried and sprinted better than just about anything.

OK, it's not a do everything bike, but it's damn close. It's not a tandem, but how many bikes are? It's really not a touring bike, but if I'm touring I have to take my girlfriend with me 'cause I have no sense of direction, and we already know it's not a tandem. It's not really a cyclocross bike, which makes a lot of local cross racers happy 'cause I tend to go the same speed on dirt as I do on the road. It's not a utility bike, but on one of my apple pie rides I did hook up the trailer and tow a few bags of apples and a pumpkin home. It is a good sprinter's bike, while towing the trailer I managed to win a town line. It's never complained about being cold, so it must be a good winter bike. It went up Mt Washington with me, so it climbs...

My real reason for calling it the do everything bike is that it's the closest bike to the door with air in the tires.

Good story. That would make want to buy a bike like that.

BobbyJones
09-24-2011, 12:18 AM
!

I don't think a Riv is going to do much more for me than my Soma- and if you notice I ride about a 50cm. If they need to stiffen it up with an extra tube over 56....it makes me wonder. And it's definitely not titanium.

i dont really like it when my bike gets wobbly feeling during high speed descents while touring. 25 to 30 pound loads require a loaded touring type bike IMHO. Especially with load on the front.

It seems like you get it. However, on my existing Soma it's not wobbly at all speed- loaded or unloaded. Tracks pretty straight. If I only need to use two panniers, the bike is better with the weight on front than back.

It sounds like the touring part of my desires are being weighed too heavily in the equation. We're talking trips of 3-5 days at a time. My weight goes between 145-160 (+-) with another 30 lbs of cargo evenly distributed. Not exactly epic stuff we're talking about.

I appreciate all of the reposnses and there's definitely some builders brought up front that I didn't think about.

palincss
09-24-2011, 06:21 AM
It sounds like the touring part of my desires are being weighed too heavily in the equation. We're talking trips of 3-5 days at a time. My weight goes between 145-160 (+-) with another 30 lbs of cargo evenly distributed. Not exactly epic stuff we're talking about.

No, but it makes no difference, you need as much gear for the 3 day tour as you do for the three week tour and your 30 lb of cargo is right up at the line where a scantily-built randonneuring or "light touring" frame won't be entirely satisfactory (note your complaints about your existing frame).

Wilkinson4
09-24-2011, 08:45 AM
No, but it makes no difference, you need as much gear for the 3 day tour as you do for the three week tour.

+1 on that but you can probably go lighter. I toured with my Rambo. If you tour and it is a bed-n-breakfast kinda a tour or even a super 8, you can go light.

Even if you camp, you can probably be under 25lbs with a handlebar and saddle bag combo. So, Rando or lt touring bike is really perfect.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=83279&highlight=bilenky+rando

mIKE

dmurphey
09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I think the concept of an all-rounder is very valid. I like training rides, fast club rides, and gravel-back road rides. I have a custom Indy Fab 853 frame with Paul Racer M medium reach brakes and Campy Chorus 11 speed gruppo. I have one set of wheels- Joe Young durable training wheels, and switch between Conti 23's for the road and Small block 8 32's for gravel/mixed rides. With a Brooks saddle it is 20#. It rides wonderfully. It does it all. Call Firefly and tell them what you want.

JAWN
10-12-2011, 11:32 PM
I've been day dreaming about "the" bike I'd have built as my one-and-only. I keep trying to save the money up and then I spend it on something else. Oh well, one day I'll get it together. Until then, I think it will be...

Titanium CX frame with slight sloping TT
S&S Couplers
Fender & Rack mounts (hidden style if possible)
disc brakes (debatable and/or flexible)

If I ever see something like this pop up in my size (54—55-ish) used, I'll but it in a split second! Wink wink (PM if you have one!). The only other dilemma is deciding which Ti builder I would go with. Hmmmm.

BryanE
10-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Strong Personal Blend.
Love mine
Bryan
http://www.strongframes.com/frames_&_pricing/special/