PDA

View Full Version : Ot: R.e.m - R.i.p

Cat3roadracer
09-21-2011, 09:23 PM
It's the End of the World as We Know it - and I don't feel fine.

R.E.M has been a mainstay for me and my wife for decades. I was very sad to see their departure from active participation today. I have been fortunate to see them live on several occasions. One particular show that stands out wad at Saratoga in 96, Electrolite tour. Seems like yesterday. Stipe played a acoustic version of Electrolite that was quite amazing.

For all that enjoy R.E.M, check out Live at the Olympia, their only live recording, recorded only a few years ago that spans their career.

Truly pioneers in my opinion.

Jason E
09-21-2011, 09:31 PM
If you're a fan, I appreciate that.

I thought they died after the late 80's.

Steve in SLO
09-21-2011, 09:36 PM
A great band and one of my wife's and my favorites.
They were always a thinking person's band, and it looks like it was a good time to call it a career.
Great memories and long, healthy life to all of them.

Cat3roadracer
09-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Steve, agreed.

My wife and I graduated from college in 93. We listened to REM, The Smiths, and Elvis Costello. The Smiths have been gone for a long time, REM, done now as well but out on a better note. Elvis keeps going.

Vientomas
09-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I saw REM back in June of 1984 in Boise, Idaho. I had no idea who they were before the show. However, the show made me a big fan. Nothing lasts forever, especially rock bands.

Kontact
09-21-2011, 10:00 PM
All isn't lost. Tears for Fears is still touring.

rustychisel
09-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Mixed feelings, because they were way past their best. Saw them here a few years ago, Stipe was wearing that absurd Adam Ant facepaint and using teleprompters for all his lyrics. They were godawful.

But, in 1990 the band I managed were invited to their Adelaide show - REM said they were huge fans - but unfortunately we were doing a gig at a local hotel in town so had to say sorry.
Last 2 songs of the second set... in wanders Berry and Buck to catch the end of the set, having ripped through their encore and having a car standing by so they could come and say hello. Nice guys.

dd74
09-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Lost track of REM when Stipe started getting political. Same with U2.

At least The Cure is still around. Yeah, and Tears For Fears.

Stan Lee
09-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Man- that is a bummer. I think the first time I saw them live was in 1990 but I started listening to them in highschool (late 80's). They are a great band- I would have to assume that they will get together again at some point in the future for some cause or event.

JD Smith
09-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Lost track of REM when Stipe started getting political. Same with U2.

So that would be around 1983 (War)? That's like losing track of Zeppelin before Stairway was ever recorded.

rustychisel
09-22-2011, 12:09 AM
So that would be around 1983 (War)? That's like losing track of Zeppelin before Stairway was ever recorded.

Ha!! Touche.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is a love song? (ahem).

oliver1850
09-22-2011, 12:34 AM
I still like their early records, but to me their albums from the late 80s on are hit and miss. It's hard to overstate their importance to other bands, and the club scenes in lots of US college towns. They were an example of what was possible for a generation of bands from obscure places, and I consider myself fortunate to have been around to see a lot of them.

dd74
09-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Yep, done after "War."

Thank God The Pixies rolled around a couple years later. Made do in the meantime with a lot of The Fixx, Simple Minds, Flock of Seagulls and Depeche Mode.

Hell, now I don't hardly listen to music. For example, I'm a Coldplay convert only about ten years after the fact, LOL.

By far, REM put on the best shows. The Smiths weren't bad, but everyone else I mentioned...ZZZzzz.

Loudest band, by far, was Gang of Four, who I saw at The Palace in Hollywood, CA. Great show though I couldn't hear for a couple days afterward.

BobC
09-22-2011, 06:32 AM
My favorite REM story

Fables of the Reconstruction tour & REM is opening up at my school, Bucknell. On the afternoon of the concert, I am in the pool at practice (water polo) and I can swear I hear the riff of “Pretty Persuasion.” One of my teammates says the same thing, so we clamber out of the pool and walk down the hall to the gym (next door) with rest of the team following behind. Sure enough, REM is starting their sound check. Next thing you know you have 20+ soaking wet water polo players in their swimsuits rocking out on the gym floor. Got waves & laughs from the band. Lasted about 15 minutes before Coach found us and chased back into the pool.

Best practice ever.

sc53
09-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Steve, agreed.

My wife and I graduated from college in 93. We listened to REM, The Smiths, and Elvis Costello. The Smiths have been gone for a long time, REM, done now as well but out on a better note. Elvis keeps going.
I graduated from college in 75 but still listened avidly to all these. REM's best days were long behind it, but they leave a legacy of great albums and live performances.

Norm Swift
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
I guess if Peter Buck gets bored, he can go on tour with the Decemberists.

johnnymossville
09-22-2011, 12:04 PM
What's the frequency for the AARP Kenneth?

Jeff N.
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Heck, I didn't even know they were still together! It's like telling me Culture Club broke up or something. :eek: Jeff N.

oliver1850
09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
"Collapse into Now", their last studio album, was released in March, 2011. It reached #5 on the album charts in the US and UK, #1 in Germany and Switzerland.

BobC
09-22-2011, 03:04 PM
"Collapse into Now", their last studio album, was released in March, 2011. It reached #5 on the album charts in the US and UK, #1 in Germany and Switzerland.

How do you explain that? Inertia?

bironi
09-22-2011, 03:33 PM
My favorite REM story

Fables of the Reconstruction tour & REM is opening up at my school, Bucknell. On the afternoon of the concert, I am in the pool at practice (water polo) and I can swear I hear the riff of “Pretty Persuasion.” One of my teammates says the same thing, so we clamber out of the pool and walk down the hall to the gym (next door) with rest of the team following behind. Sure enough, REM is starting their sound check. Next thing you know you have 20+ soaking wet water polo players in their swimsuits rocking out on the gym floor. Got waves & laughs from the band. Lasted about 15 minutes before Coach found us and chased back into the pool.

Best practice ever.

Good story, thanks for sharing. :beer:

Germany_chris
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
while I don't care much for R.E.M. and I really don't care for Michael Stipe. I appreciate his politics and the fact the he was quite vocal about it. In my opinion he just wasn't demanding? enough with it.

bozman
09-22-2011, 04:13 PM
one of my favorites. I saw them for the first time in 1987 at Purdue during their Work Tour. Natalie Merchant opened for them. My wife and I saw them again in 1998 in D.C. at the Tibetan Freedom concert. They had Thom Yorke from Radiohead join them for the Patti Smith part of E-Bow the Letter. That was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0O_QD-UZ8M

oliver1850
09-22-2011, 10:20 PM
How do you explain that? Inertia?

I don't know, haven't heard it. Maybe it's great. It's evidence that a certain number of people out there are still interested. I was aware of the album and heard a couple of tracks on NPR, but was kind of surprised at how high it charted.

GuyGadois
09-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Love REM. Seen them a bunch of time with the best being at the Santa Barbara Bowl (maybe the best place to see a concert that isn't a dive bar). I may be one of the few that love all their albums (some more then others). To me Murmur and Reckoning were classics.

Not many bands out there that have been around that long and still put out good albums.

GG