PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Rival Rear Derailleur Skips

hairylegs
09-21-2011, 06:14 PM
So I like working on my bikes but a lot of the time I wish I knew more.

I replaced the rear derailleur cable on my Tri bike in prep for Kona and now it skips gears generally between 3-4. I've played with the trim to no end and also reset the limit screws. Something I'm missing here? I've got to ship this puppy out on Friday and was hoping to tune it up myself...Opps!

Could it be the chain?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Wages
09-21-2011, 06:22 PM
One thing that I've seen folks to is to route the cable from the barrel adjuster to the pinch bolt incorrectly, and this will cause the shifting to be "off".

With SRAM, the bare cable comes out of the barrel adjuster area and then makes a turn around a groove and then gets pinched on the opposite side of the pinch bolt from Shimano or Campy. If you're used to old school parts, it's an easy mistake to make.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dave

p.s. Good luck at Kona!

hairylegs
09-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Have I mentioned how much I love this forum? Nowhere else is there such a wealth of information and such a kind, supportive vibe.

Dave - it's settled. What you said was spot on and the shifting is now (near) perfect! Thanks again! I'll post my tracking info when I know it. So excited to get back on the road bike (my Serotta!) I have no choice as I ship my tri bike out on Friday!

Thanks again :)

mudhead
09-22-2011, 10:36 AM
if all else fails, check the rear der hanger alignment. it doesn't take much of a bend to upset the indexing

jamesutiopia
09-24-2011, 12:49 PM
The spline on the SRAM road derailleurs is important. Every click on the shifter is the same (about 3.1mm of cable pull) except the first one (which is more like 2mm).