PDA

View Full Version : More alleged Lance corruption (Ferrari)

djg21
09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
An Italian newspaper is reporting that Lance Armstrong made payments to controversial Italian doctor Michele Ferrari via a third party company in Switzerland.

The Corriere della Sera, based in Milan, cited an investigation by Swiss and Italian authorities that reportedly showed Armstrong directed funds to a company in the Neuchatel region called Health and Performance.

Read more at: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/09/news/italian-paper-reports-armstrong-paid-ferrari_193144

This just keeps getting worse and worse for Mr. Armstrong.

ultraman6970
09-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Probably ferrari needed money to pay the mortgage.

verticaldoug
09-22-2011, 09:53 AM
I just don't see how this is news anymore. Has there ever been a clean TdF winner?

But having said that, I still like Lance and hope he crushes it at Xterra this weekend.

JMerring
09-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Has there ever been a clean TdF winner?

cuddles. maybe sastre, but probably not. maybe lemond, but probably not (though less than with sastre).

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Yawn.

toaster
09-22-2011, 10:10 AM
They will never get Lance in a federal investigation. It's just wasted money. We can all speculate and there will always be rumors and it may be everyone's conclusion that Lance doped but he won 7 Tours with other dopers competing against him.

History will show he was a champion and may eventually have a footnote as to the tainted deeds but life goes on and ol' Lance just has to deal with the sh*t.

BumbleBeeDave
09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
. . . I'm not investing any angst whatsoever in any of it until the Grand Jury actually announces something--if they ever do. I know the wheels of justice grind slowly, bu this is getting ridiculous.

BBD

laupsi
09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
They will never get Lance in a federal investigation. It's just wasted money. We can all speculate and there will always be rumors and it may be everyone's conclusion that Lance doped but he won 7 Tours with other dopers competing against him.

History will show he was a champion and may eventually have a footnote as to the tainted deeds but life goes on and ol' Lance just has to deal with the sh*t.

a cheat is a cheat is a cheat. moral degradation is what it is, why the hell is he denying it if his "accomplishments" stand regardless? and no all do not dope.

wooly
09-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Has there ever been a clean TdF winner?

Bjarn Riis? oh wait...

Cat3roadracer
09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
I thought this thread was regarding a problem with one of Lance's Ferrari's.

Might be more interesting.

laupsi
09-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I thought this thread was regarding a problem with one of Lance's Ferrari's.

Might be more interesting.

yea I know it's old news and probably not worthy of the thread but the apathy seems to be misdirected

crossjunkee
09-22-2011, 11:19 AM
. . . I'm not investing any angst whatsoever in any of it until the Grand Jury actually announces something--if they ever do. I know the wheels of justice grind slowly, bu this is getting ridiculous.

BBD

Agreed, it's really exhausting.

CunegoFan
09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Agreed, it's really exhausting.
I find it entertaining watching the walls close in on Armstrong while his spokesman does an impression of Baghdad Bob.

ultraman6970
09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Guys remember that for the feds the issue is not the doping (per say), the issue is the use of federal funds to pay for them. So they have to follow the dopes trace and then that takes them to all the money stuff.

Why in the world ferrari had to keep receipts and stuff knowing he was doing bad? Was me I would just get the money and keep it under the mattress.

JMerring
09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Why in the world ferrari had to keep receipts and stuff knowing he was doing bad?

non-regular people play by different rules than regular people. in "The Non-Regular Person's Rulebook on Living," rule # 1 is "i am infallible"; rule # 2 is "i am invincible." problem is, the real world sometimes intrudes on the world on which The Non-Regular Person's Rulebook on Living is based. exhibit a: eldrick woods; exhibit b: anthoney weiner. we'd run out of pages in "The Book of Exhibits on Why The Non-Regular Person's Rulebook on Living is Wrong" were we to try to list them all. that said, the exhibits that exist should be more than sufficient to plant a seed of doubt in any non-regular person's mind, but alas it often isn't.

cmg
09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
so there's a record of the payments? bank deposits? checks being cashed? money trail of any kind? No? nothing to hang this allegation on.

seems appropiate.

"Someone’s got it in for me, they’re planting stories in the press
Whoever it is I wish they’d cut it out but when they will I can only guess
They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can’t help it if I’m lucky

People see me all the time and they just can’t remember how to act
Their minds are filled with big ideas, images and distorted facts
Even you, yesterday you had to ask me where it was at
I couldn’t believe after all these years, you didn’t know me better than that
Sweet lady

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads headin’ south
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot, babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe"

kayten
09-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Bjarn Riis? oh wait...

Bjarne is clean because he admitted he was on meds.... :rolleyes:

johnnymossville
09-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Next week they're gonna tie him to Solyndra.

William
09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
http://heatherjeansmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Mr.-T-1.jpg

William :)

ultraman6970
09-23-2011, 07:08 AM
He should have trade marked those words together with the , you fool! one.

ultraman6970
09-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Sure, they needed some magical formula from ferrari to make the products to perform better :P

T.J.
09-23-2011, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=CunegoFan]I find it entertaining watching the walls close in on Armstrong .[QUOTE]

That's pretty disturbing

93legendti
09-23-2011, 08:53 AM
You're going to get me blamed for being "partisan" :D

93legendti
09-23-2011, 09:35 AM
This just keeps getting worse and worse for Mr. Armstrong.
I am missing the "corruption". Controversial? Maybe.

How is it corrupt for an American to pay a Doctor who was cleared of criminal charges?

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:
corruption

Improper and usually unlawful conduct intended to secure a benefit for oneself or another. Its forms include bribery, extortion, and the misuse of inside information. It exists where there is community indifference or a lack of enforcement policies. In societies with a culture of ritualized gift giving, the line between acceptable and unacceptable gifts is often hard to draw. See also organized crime.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/corruption#ixzz1YmoiOOK0

An Italian newspaper reported Wednesday that Lance Armstrong made payments to controversial Italian doctor Michele Ferrari via a third party company in Switzerland.

The Corriere della Sera, based in Milan, cited an investigation by Swiss and Italian authorities that reportedly showed Armstrong directed funds to a company in the Neuchatel region called Health and Performance.

The paper said Ferrari, who is banned from working with cyclists in Italy, was behind the “anonymous company now in liquidation.”

Ferrari was cleared of criminal charges in 2006. Armstrong has said he has maintained some social contact with Ferrari but has not worked with him professionally since 2004. Armstrong denies doping or any improper relationship with Ferrari.

JMerring
09-23-2011, 09:58 AM
/\/\/\ totally. if the italian justic system works even half as well as ours, he has to be innocent, right?

93legendti
09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
/\/\/\ totally. if the italian justic system works even half as well as ours, he has to be innocent, right?
Sticking to reality, Armstrong's payments to the Dr. (of which we do not know the amount, year or purpose) prove that Armstrong violated which law(s)?

bicycletricycle
09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
how much circumstantial evidence does there have to be?

William
09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
how much circumstantial evidence does there have to be?

Where there is smoke... you know. Regardless of what anyone says on either side of the fence though, until someone comes out with something that sticks ....(refer back to Mr. T above /\ ).

William

laupsi
09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Where there is smoke... you know. Regardless of what anyone says on either side of the fence though, until someone comes out with something that sticks ....(refer back to Mr. T above /\ ).

William

oh yes and there is a Santa Claus

William
09-23-2011, 11:22 AM
oh yes and there is a Santa Claus

That's right, Jibber Jabbah.

William

1happygirl
09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Snip....
Why in the world ferrari had to keep receipts and stuff knowing he was doing bad? Was me I would just get the money and keep it under the mattress.

I'm reading a book right now, called, The R. Nixon Tape Labeling System and How It Can Work for You.

I have never understood this. I think people talking about how the Mighty view themselves as different and bulletproof may be on to something.

Cinellas
09-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Yawn.

This.

CunegoFan
09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I am missing the "corruption". Controversial? Maybe.

How is it corrupt for an American to pay a Doctor who was cleared of criminal charges?

He was not cleared. The Italian version of the statute of limitation caused his conviction to be thrown out. The judge made it clear that he was guilty of what he was convicted. That is why italian cyclists are forbidden to work with him.

Armstrong's issues are paying his dope doctor with millions of dollars of dirty money and breaking various laws about money laundering, bank reporting, and taxes in the process. The phone calls and electronic communication to set up and maintain the scheme are additional crimes. Word on the street is that he was using money paid as appearance fees that was not reported to the IRS.

When Floyd Landis joined Phonak, Jim Ochowicz offered to pay part of Landis' salary into a Swiss bank account so that he could evade U.S. taxes. Och worked for a while for Tom Weisel's financial company. Both of those two have a long history with Armstrong that goes back through teams Postal, Motorola, and Montgomery-Subaru. It is hard to believe that Och's first foray into hiding his employee's assets was an attempt to talk Landis into it in late 2004 or early 2005. A good bet is that for a long time he has been doing this for American cyclists as well as himself and other management figures. Armstrong does not seem like the type of guy who would think that he has to follow the same rules (or tax laws) as the rest of us.