PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation? Disk brakes for 29er

DRZRM
09-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm about to order a custom steel 29er (I'll share the maker once my deposit is down) and while I've had a long love affair with Paul V-brakes, that means my first foray into disk brakes. Almost pulled the trigger on some 2011 Avid XX brakes from Bonktown yesterday, but I had a chance to read some reviews and they were brutal. Need bleeding every ride, lose all pressure and the lever travels to the bar, bad modulation, etc. Seems like SRAMs best should get better than 2.4 of 5 stars. Anyway...it will be a hardtail, likely with a 80 or 100 fork, I'll use in on fast New England single track. I like light and flashy, but really I want to be able to set them and forget them as much as possible, and given my "epic" stature (6'3", 220) I want to them them to last too. What do ya'll recommend?

Thanks

msl819
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
You and I are the same size fellas and I have had good luck with my Avid Elixir CR's. My experience with Hayes El Caminos were poor. I would do what you seem to be doing and reading up on the reviews on mtbr.com and other sites. I have never used 185 rotors but would like to try. Seems to me that the bigger rotors would be great for bigger dudes like ourselves. FWIW my Avid's are on a hardtail Cielo with a 100 mm Fox F29. I ride singletrack exclusively. I had a Moots f/s that had Avid Code 5's and they were great. They are spendy, but brakes are something that you want to work without a second thought.

DRZRM
09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Those Cielo's are hot!! It was looking at those that got me moving towards a HT steel frame, but I figured I'd go with a local builder I know. I was just reading reviews of Avid Elixers CRs. Fairly good deals to be had, I guess they are essentially at the X-9 level?

As for fork, I'm thinking about a White Brother's Loop, I have a WB Magic on my 26 inch Moots YBB and I really like the company.

Jack Brunk
09-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I've used the XX brakes and they work pretty well and fairly light. For a little more money I'd go with the Formula R1 brakes. Also what size rotors are you going with?

that guy
09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
I run Avid Elixrs and like them a lot, but the new Shimano XTR and XTs are said to be head and shoulders above anything else out there.

christian
09-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Rotor size. Explain this to me.

I don't ride an MTB, but have ridden motorcycles for a long time. Obviously 180mm rotors are a bigger heat sink than a 160mm, but does anyone actually boil the fluid on an XC mountain bike? Chapeau, if that's the case!

DogpawSlim
09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
As far as set-and-forget, BB7's are hard to beat, but they are neither light nor flashy.

As for rotor size, I had a 29er with a 203mm front and 185mm rear at one point. There was more braking power (I'm assuming due to leverage from the rotor size?), but significantly less modulation. I've heard that the spokes on 29" wheels wind up with disc brakes...I don't know if this is true, but it feels that way to me. And it makes sense that a larger rotor cause less wind up than a smaller rotor. My 185lb weight might have something to do with this also.

My current 29er is rim brake only, and the brakes feel stiffer than discs. I've convinced myself that this is because there is no spoke wind up and increased leverage due to the 700c "rotor."

Anyway, at 220lbs, I would recommend something larger than 160mm.

Jack Brunk
09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Rotor size will depend on the brakes you chose. I've used 180mm/160mm, 160mm/160mm combos and the 180's with the R1's were way too much brake for me. I've settled on 160/160 and that's more than adaquate for me. I think I could go down to a 140 rear and not have a issue at all. At 200 pounds a 180/160 with good brakes should be enough.

Kane
09-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Formula disc brakes are the best brakes on the planet. Strong, set and forget, superior modulation, extreme stopping power.
If you have $$, the R1's and the One's are best on the market.
Get a 180F & a 160R rotor combination.
Cheers,

Kane

Jack Brunk
09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Formula disc brakes are the best brakes on the planet. Strong, set and forget, superior modulation, extreme stopping power.
If you have $$, the R1's and the One's are best on the market.
Get a 180F & a 160R rotor combination.
Cheers,

Kane
+100

gdw
09-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Avid BB7's for cable and Formula for hydraulics. The Oro 18 and 24's are exceptional brakes and can be found new on Ebay if you want to save some cash.

crossjunkee
09-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Try the 2012 Shimano XT / XTR brakes before you decide. They are amazing.

I have Formula Oro 24's with kevlar cables, they're OK. They're a pain in the arse to bleed.

SpeedyChix
09-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Just because I like mineral fluid rather than DOT I've gone with Magura discs for years now. Love em. The only others I'd consider with their redesign are the new Shimano brakes. If you're cool with DOT then take a good look at Formulas.

DRZRM
09-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Hmm...thanks so much everyone. Well that limits my choices and takes Avids off the list.

The Formula's look great, outstanding reviews, though they are pretty dear. I had not thought much about roter size, as it is not on a downhill bike or anything, but I guess 180F & 160R sounds about right.

Any opinion on the Magura Marta SLs? Quite good reviews in general, and they are available at pretty good sales right now. Looks like the Formulas are selling pretty close to MSRP. I'll also try to ride a bike with the XTR M988s (trail) before I make up my mind, thanks guys.

Look out for my future questions on forks and wheels (finally I can buy some Chris King hubs).

Edit: SpeedyChix, what's the difference? Availability? Kindness to the planet? Magura calls it blood?

Acotts
09-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Whats the advantage of gong to 180's?

I have 160 front and rear on both my bikes and can lock up the wheels with my pinky. The modulation is great too.

I use Avid XX and some Avid BB7s. THe hydraulic are certainly nice, but not really needed.

tkbike
09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I agree with crossjunkie 100%
I have the 2012 XT's with 180 front and 160 rear disc's mounted on an Ibis Mojo Sl and they have more braking powere than I will ever need. You also can't beat the price, I picked mine up new from Performance with a coupon for less than $250 for the set.

SpeedyChix
09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Edit: SpeedyChix, what's the difference? Availability? Kindness to the planet? Magura calls it blood?

I use the Marta and Marta SLs (all with 160 rotors on both 26 and 29" wheels), although I have some of their new ones lined up to go on one of the mtbs.

Magura does indeed call their mineral-based fluid Blood. Only difference on the Marta and Marta SLs is the carbon lever blade (a bit lighter but more $$). Mineral fluid doesn't remove paint, is less inclined to gather moisture into the system as well and generally is kinder to work with.

btw, congrats on the new bike!

DRZRM
09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Whats the advantage of gong to 180's?

I have 160 front and rear on both my bikes and can lock up the wheels with my pinky. The modulation is great too.

I use Avid XX and some Avid BB7s. THe hydraulic are certainly nice, but not really needed.

Jack said it..."At 200 pounds a 180/160 with good brakes should be enough," that's good enough for me.

Seriously, I just figure with my weight the larger caliper up front makes sense, no?

markie
09-21-2011, 03:38 PM
You will be fine with 160mm on a xc bike. Coming from v-brakes you will gain a bunch of power and modulation.

old fat man
09-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Jack said it..."At 200 pounds a 180/160 with good brakes should be enough," that's good enough for me.

Seriously, I just figure with my weight the larger caliper up front makes sense, no?

listen to your builder (you and I both know he knows a thing or two about this ;) ), not the peanut gallery. also, get the XT brakes and potentially full XT build kit if you're using gears.

- peanut gallery

Jack Brunk
09-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Quality brakes makes a huge difference when trying to figure out what size rotor to use. I had 180's on my Moots with XX brakes and most of the time I wished for larger rotors because the brakes didn't want to slow me down. With the R1's the need for the 180 went away very quickly. Also I found that different rotors made a difference in stopping power as well. I really like the Ashima Airotor rotors. Super stopping power when compared to Avids. Also their really light which helps as well. I havne't played with the Shimano brakes but the guys at my shop say they work great.

HenryA
09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm in the Clydesdale category these days and my Shimano XTs stop like crazy. Great feel and great power, no problem. No real need for larger rotors either and smaller rotors weigh slightly less anyway. This from a couple of years experience riding them here at home in the southeast and several trips out west in big mountains. The 2012 version is supposed to be even better.

crossjunkee
09-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I know I said try the new Shimano, but for $99. you can order Formulas.

http://www.amazon.com/FORMULA-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-800mm/dp/B004MT4GUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316654164&sr=8-1

gdw
09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
The same seller, Crosslakesales, has K24's on Ebay with a Buy It Now price of $89.97 and the K18's for $69.97. They don't come with rotors but they're easy to find and inexpensive. Lot of bang for the buck.

DRZRM
09-21-2011, 09:13 PM
That's quite a deal, though the full XT build is pretty tempting too, looks like they have really upgraded for 2012 at a very fair price point. Reviewers say the Formula Oros are hard to bleed. I think I will talk to the builder. So many good choices.

gdw
09-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I normally like Shimano products but have known a number of people who had problems with the older model XT and XTR discs especially in cold weather. If you're planning to ride in the winter try to find someone who has actually used the newer brakes in cold weather and listen to what they have to say.

rice rocket
09-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Problems like binding/freezing? Or not stopping?

If it's the latter, it's probably poor pad choice.

Jack Brunk
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Comparing the different brakes mentioned in this thread is not compatible. Another suggestion is to try and demo as many of the different brakes as you can. Hopefully there's a shop close by that has a good selection of demo bike to try.
Carry on.

Don49
09-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Avid BB7's for cable and Formula for hydraulics. The Oro 18 and 24's are exceptional brakes and can be found new on Ebay if you want to save some cash.

+1 on the BB7's. I run them with Avid Ultimate levers on my 29er, 180/160mm f/r. I've had hydraulics but there isn't enough (if any) performance improvement to justify the increased maintenance and cost. After all this is a bicycle that we're stopping not a jet fighter.

Kane
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=DRZRM]

Look out for my future questions on forks and wheels (finally I can buy some Chris King hubs).

The Hadley Hub gives you lots of versatility on future upgrades for standard quick release or the vast array of new standards, (15mm, 20mm, 150mm etc).

The Hadley is at least as durable as the Chris King and the sound is a lot nicer to listen to if ever stop pedaling.

Both are excellent... But, my preference is Hadley hub, DT spokes and Stan's rims.

On the disc brakes, the Formula are imo the best, however the Shimano and the Magura are both excellent brakes. No bad choices.

jh_on_the_cape
09-22-2011, 01:59 PM
+1 on the BB7's. I run them with Avid Ultimate levers on my 29er, 180/160mm f/r. I've had hydraulics but there isn't enough (if any) performance improvement to justify the increased maintenance and cost. After all this is a bicycle that we're stopping not a jet fighter.

I have used BB7s for years. I have a set of XO Avids in a box waiting to be installed after I used some on a rental bike. Power is one thing, but they are just smoother. The mechs are great, but grabby. Hydros have come way down in cost. I am a little scared of any maintenance issues but everyone tells me it's no big deal.

Any of the brakes suggested will be fine. You can change rotor size no problem later, just rotor and adaptor. I find for Boston area stuff 160 is fine front and rear. I put a 180 on the front for a bit and could not even tell the diff. It's mostly to reduce heat build up on long decents, which we do not have. I spent a month in the alps this summer, and melted some pads due to heat built up on 1000m descents. There you need bigger rotors.

PM me what you are getting... I have a custom 29er from a local builder and can give you some feedback.

velosport
09-22-2011, 10:37 PM
The 2012 XTR's are so good most guys are stepping down one rotor size. Amazing brakes. The good news is Shimano finally makes the xtr rotors in 6 bolt.

sjbraun
09-23-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm just back from riding the Slickrock trail in Moab, (quite the experience for a roadie.)
The Niner I rented from Uranium Bikes (great shop,) were outstanding. I could crawl down the stupid steep descents at pretty much any speed that was comfortable to me without locking up the wheels.

I had a Formula brake on our tandem that was a piece of junk, but that bike is more than 10 years old. Seems like Formula has come a long way since then.

DRZRM
09-23-2011, 08:19 AM
So...what kind of brakes did it have on it?

I'm just back from riding the Slickrock trail in Moab, (quite the experience for a roadie.)
The Niner I rented from Uranium Bikes (great shop,) were outstanding. I could crawl down the stupid steep descents at pretty much any speed that was comfortable to me without locking up the wheels.

I had a Formula brake on our tandem that was a piece of junk, but that bike is more than 10 years old. Seems like Formula has come a long way since then.

dan_hudson
09-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Surprised no one mentioned Hope. They have a pretty great feel at the lever across their line. Nice fit/finish on the products as well. Last but not least, offer a few custom/special options to allow you to tweak the installation to fit in with the rest of your kit.

Sadly, like most disc brakes, there is a compromise. For Hope, the support stuff (bleeding et al) is not as polished as the brakes themselves.

Want to emphasize pretty much every hydro disc brake has an issue. For instance (imho) Avid has a great support system but their brake performance on trail is just so-so. Formula has a spotty track record (mentioned in an earlier post). Hydro disc brakes are still just not a product category that is there 100% of the time (aka fit & forget).

Have heard really good things about the latest iteration of Shimano brakes. I may have the opportunity/need to buy a new set and these are toward the top of my list (or a 2nd set of Hopes!).

Neves
09-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm a formula person too. I've been running them for a couple of years now and they have worked for me. Their customer service has been great as well. I'm currently running the K24's but would recomment stepping up the newer RX model at least. That way parts will be easy to come by should you need them.

Mikej
09-26-2011, 09:17 AM
The 2012 XTR's are so good most guys are stepping down one rotor size. Amazing brakes. The good news is Shimano finally makes the xtr rotors in 6 bolt.

Really? Can you direct me?

d_man16
09-26-2011, 09:31 AM
I don't think that you can find a floating xtr rotor in 6 bolt but you can get a traditional solid rotor in 6 bolt

xjoex
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Just throwing it out there, I am big fan of the Avid BB7 cable discs. They work well, are inexpensive and can be rebuilt in 10 minutes. Which you might need to do every 5 years...
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-avid-bb7-mechanical-disc-brakes.html

-Joe

ben_san
09-26-2011, 08:47 PM
The best deal in brakes right now:

http://store.formula-brake.com/items/brake-set-oro-bianco

Direct from Formula - Paypal only and they arrive in about a week. I have two sets and love them.