PDA

View Full Version : 2015 road world championships in Richmond, VA

fiamme red
09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2015-road-world-championships-goes-to-richmond-virginia

harlond
09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
As a resident of Richmond, I'm thrilled about this.

David Kirk
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know what the course might be like? I know nothing about the roads in the area.

dave

Elefantino
09-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Road Trip.

retrofit
09-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Road Trip.
+1

ultraman6970
09-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Wow hope wifey let me go :P

:D

poguemahone
09-21-2011, 07:04 PM
This should be interesting. If only Richmond were more bike friendly, it might be a very nice fit. Oh well, they've got a couple of years to start correcting that. One can hope.

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2011, 07:16 PM
. . . was destroyed in the earthquake a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

BBD

poguemahone
09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
. . . was destroyed in the earthquake a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

BBD

Richmond can only be destroyed by Yankee earthquakes. That was a good ol' Southern one, done proper like.

rnhood
09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Like most bigger cities, you need to get out into the rural areas where traffic is low. The rural roads are mostly flat, in good shape and reasonably scenic. This past weekend's Ashland Bike Festival is a good example. Excellent routes and low traffic, at least for most of the route. The main thoroughfares can be nerve wrecking though. On Saturday my Garmin registered 2700' in 100 miles.

ultraman6970
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Remember 2012 is just here, probably richmond will be under the sea by then.

harlond
09-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Does anyone know what the course might be like? I know nothing about the roads in the area.

daveRichmond has some cobblestoned streets in the downtown and near west end, and I would guess that the incentive to use those will be strong. As Richmond was built on the fall line, there are many small hills in the vicinity. There's a very steep, one-block hill near downtown that was used in the Tour duPont, which short as it was sufficed to make a selection. You could have a hilly circuit, or you could have a pretty flat circuit. If they include the downtown and go east, it will be rolling. If they go west or north, it could be pretty flat. To go south, they have to cross the river, maybe twice, and I doubt they'll do that. So hard to say; someone else probably knows more.

Ryun
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Richmond has some cobblestoned streets in the downtown and near west end, and I would guess that the incentive to use those will be strong. As Richmond was built on the fall line, there are many small hills in the vicinity. There's a very steep, one-block hill near downtown that was used in the Tour duPont, which short as it was sufficed to make a selection. You could have a hilly circuit, or you could have a pretty flat circuit. If they include the downtown and go east, it will be rolling. If they go west or north, it could be pretty flat. To go south, they have to cross the river, maybe twice, and I doubt they'll do that. So hard to say; someone else probably knows more.
I would guess they would use that similar circuit at least for the finishing laps. That area is steep. I remember Andrea Peron and Lance crushing it in the tour dupont. I think it would at least break it up into a small finishing group

poguemahone
09-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Richmond has some cobblestoned streets in the downtown and near west end, and I would guess that the incentive to use those will be strong. As Richmond was built on the fall line, there are many small hills in the vicinity. There's a very steep, one-block hill near downtown that was used in the Tour duPont, which short as it was sufficed to make a selection. You could have a hilly circuit, or you could have a pretty flat circuit. If they include the downtown and go east, it will be rolling. If they go west or north, it could be pretty flat. To go south, they have to cross the river, maybe twice, and I doubt they'll do that. So hard to say; someone else probably knows more.

I imagine they'll be crossing the river more than once. It's the best scenery in RVA, in particular the hollywood rapids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TqAOouEyw4&feature=related) . Built for camera coverage. If I were on the route committee, I'd insist on it, possibly riverside by Pony pasture rapids as well. We'll see, but I bet RVA wants to put best foot forward. That means the James thru downtown, which should freak out just about every other urban area of the country, what with all their lame flatwater and such. Yeah,I'm looking at you, NYC.

Personally, I'd like a route through Bryant park. I could lie on the grass in the back forty and drink a forty, watching racers blow by ...

tiretrax
09-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Wow hope wifey let me go :P

:D
Ditto. I don't think there's much there to interest her in accompanying me.

retrofit
09-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Ditto. I don't think there's much there to interest her in accompanying me.

DC is just a hop, skip, and a jump away -- sell her on visiting all the national monuments, the Smithsonian, the White House, etc.

Or if she prefers something a little more gothic, the Edgar Allen Poe Museum.

At least that's my plan. :)

tiretrax
09-22-2011, 12:12 PM
DC is worn out for us - she spent months there building new stores. I lived there for 5 years and go back at least once a year for business. Maybe I can get her interested in the Civil War., but it only seems she's interested in french history - aka visiting chateaux!

poguemahone
09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
ah,the inevitable spouse problems.

Try:

The Virginia Museum
Maymont gardens
Lewis Ginter botanical gardens (turn of century 1800s/1900s was actually a bicycle club!)

Up the road 70 miles is Monticello, much more in easy driving distance...

There's some more. I can post more if you really need to work the con job...

Elefantino
09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
"Honey, the worlds are in Richmond in 2015."

"So?"

"We're going."

"OK."

Gotta love 30 years of marriage.

ultraman6970
09-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Well hope by then FC is not retired, finally gonna have the chance to shout AS... "WUSsSYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!"

If they use portions of 95 and 295 for this we have to get there like 1 week in advance because to drive the same day will be a nightmare.

ultraman6970
09-22-2011, 01:14 PM
DC is worn out for us - she spent months there building new stores. I lived there for 5 years and go back at least once a year for business. Maybe I can get her interested in the Civil War., but it only seems she's interested in french history - aka visiting chateaux!

Ask her if she up to staying with my wife in my place while we go man. My kids by them will have like 10 y/o so everything will be controllable :)