PDA

View Full Version : Meivici Pave

jpw
09-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Good idea this new Pave, a real bike at last :-)

What's the max tire size, and the fork axle to crown length?

rugbysecondrow
09-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Sounds like a cool option. Makes me want one.

Bikes built for how people actually ride them...it's about time.

saab2000
09-21-2011, 06:10 AM
I wonder if it will also have eyelets for fenders. Looking forward to seeing more about this bike.

Fixed
09-21-2011, 07:07 AM
http://www.serotta.com/news-events/65/Details/
sounds cool to me
cheers

Lionel
09-21-2011, 07:14 AM
I would be interested to get some details on the fork used...

SHOCK
09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I am also super excited about this project. I live about 40 miles from the factory and often commute home. I recently found a "new" way that involves a few roads that are rather rugged on my Meivici, but nice on my Ottrott Cross with 28c tires, although it does not handle quite as nicely on the road as the Meivici (due to head tube angle/fork rake and BB drop differences). We have quite a few dirt roads here in the Adirondacks to explore on as well as some races that are incorporating less than ideal road surfaces. This is where the Pave fits in perfectly! No more compromises...take any "road"!

It is designed to take up to 30 mm tires(actual measurement!)...on the newer wide rim profiles. So, the Parigi Roubaix or Ruffy Tuffy are perfect. You will need a medium reach brake (47-57 mm reach) and the fork will have an axle to crown measurement of 38.1 cm. There will be front and rear fender mounting points as well. All this and custom geometry and tube selections similiar to the Meivici.

Serotta Scott

Lionel
09-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Very cool project!

Will the fork be available separately and what rakes will be offered?

dave thompson
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Very cool project!

Will the fork be available separately and what rakes will be offered?
Serotta offers their forks individually: http://www.serotta.com/bikes/forks/ in a wide variety of combinations. I specified an S3 Touring fork for my Milholland build: 47 rake, space for 28MM tires and fenders, with fender eyelets. You can see it here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=990287&postcount=23

christian
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I am also super excited about this project.That sounds amazing. Way to step up with a true winter trainer bike. I would love one in HSG geometry. Stock 57, please.

Lionel
09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Serotta offers their forks individually: http://www.serotta.com/bikes/forks/ in a wide variety of combinations. I specified an S3 Touring fork for my Milholland build: 47 rake, space for 28MM tires and fenders, with fender eyelets. You can see it here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=990287&postcount=23
Dave, I had seen this page but it does not include the spec of this "touring fork". For instance can you get them whithout eyelets, spacing between the legs, etc... Oh yeah, pricing too.

Acotts
09-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I wonder if it will also have eyelets for fenders. Looking forward to seeing more about this bike.

I gotta imagine it does. It wouild be crazy not to.

...right?

CPP
09-21-2011, 01:47 PM
That sounds amazing. Way to step up with a true winter trainer bike. I would love one in HSG geometry. Stock 57, please.

Yeah but a $6000 winter training frame? Yikes!!!

johnnymossville
09-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I love it! Couldn't take my eyes off it when I noticed it on the site earlier. Maybe I'll even own one in another lifetime when I choose a more profitable career.

Nice bike Serotta.

dave thompson
09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Dave, I had seen this page but it does not include the spec of this "touring fork". For instance can you get them whithout eyelets, spacing between the legs, etc... Oh yeah, pricing too.
I don't know about the pricing, you should contact Serotta directly for that and other details. I would imagine they could pretty much do what you need as Serotta is the manufacturer.

The S3 fork is available with and without eyelets, built for 'short' reach and mid reach brakes. Spacing between the legs? I've got 31MM tires and fenders on mine.

Lionel
09-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't know about the pricing, you should contact Serotta directly for that and other details. I would imagine they could pretty much do what you need as Serotta is the manufacturer.

The S3 fork is available with and without eyelets, built for 'short' reach and mid reach brakes. Spacing between the legs? I've got 31MM tires and fenders on mine.
ok thanks

dave thompson
09-21-2011, 02:08 PM
ok thanks
The Serotta Concierge info@serotta.com would be your best bet.

christian
09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah but a $6000 winter training frame? Yikes!!!Well, for one, it could be an only bike, not just a winter bike. And not for me - oh no - but who am I to judge. There are worse ways to blow $6000. And if a 57 square HSG geometry one should happen to come up for sale in the classifieds in a few years...

dhoff
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
PUT ME IN THE CUE

I know every part I want on it too, right down to the cages.

Now all I have to worry about is paint. Damn, problems, problems.

-d

rugbysecondrow
09-21-2011, 03:36 PM

If you ride it, then it is worth it.

Jason E
09-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Great bit of customization. Look forward to some real info.

Still think they need a web/PR guy, that's a weak release. I'm always critical of the website here, but that is because I expect their website quality to match their bikes, and they never listen..

Mostly I'm just a prick.

David Kirk
09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
This is very cool news.

dave

Climb01742
09-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Still think they need a web/PR guy, that's a weak release. I'm always critical of the website here, but that is because I expect their website quality to match their bikes, and they never listen.

agree. if only their marketing was as strong as the bikes. have to wonder why it's never been the case. heaven knows, enough marketing folks love bikes. :rolleyes:

Len J
09-22-2011, 01:40 PM
agree. if only their marketing was as strong as the bikes. have to wonder why it's never been the case. heaven knows, enough marketing folks love bikes. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the price........then I'll comment on the bike.

Len

bicycletricycle
09-22-2011, 10:15 PM
thinking about one of these built up with record and some nice big 32s makes me smile. only problem is the brakes, stuck with shimano or tektro for the long reach. they work fine but they just dont look right on a fancy campy bike, IMHO

Lionel
09-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Paul racer M is the answer. Or at least it is mine for an upcoming build.

And BTW I had some exchange with Serotta on the fork it will only take a 30mm tire with 3mm clearance on each side.

jpw
09-23-2011, 07:54 AM

And BTW I had some exchange with Serotta on the fork it will only take a 30mm tire with 3mm clearance on each side.

Is the crown arch giving more than 3mm for the fender?

justinf
09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Back to the future: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10437&highlight=tournesol+carbon+leger

Lionel
09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
The fork is coming with eyelets that are machined into the side of the dropout but I did not ask about maximum tire size if fenders are used....

SHOCK
09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Here is a close-up of a Tektro R538 brake, 27 mm (actually measures 30.8 mm) Challenge Parigi-Roubaix on a Head Ardennes wheel.

Scott

RedRider
09-23-2011, 11:07 AM

I wouldn't look at the Pave as a winter bike. It's the cycling equivalent of an SUV a year round bike that delivers high performance whereever you want to ride. For the amount of time I ride during the winter, and it's a long winter here, I want a good bike. Winter conditions are really not much worse for a bike than summer except on wheels and tires. I'm still going to wipe it down after each ride and winter salt is no worse than salt air at the beach (or sweat in headsets). Look at the Pave as a Porsche Cayenne. Great performance all year round. Smooth on the highway, able to go offroad and handle any weather. The irony is that the better constructed bikes are able to survive the winter far better than the crap you buy on craigs list and deliver the performance you want.

Climb01742
09-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Can't wait to see the price........then I'll comment on the bike.

Len

i'm with you, len. the more i think about this bike, the more it_could_make a lot of sense, as a 12-month, every road, every condition bike that might not require any compromises. but the price is key. ironically, by offering an 'all-conditions' meivici, the cost of a meivici might (and it's a big might) be beginning to make sense. we'll see. don't know if i'd ever be able to pull the trigger, but at least this model nudges me a bit closer.

bicycletricycle
09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Paul racers would be nice, especially if they could put some custom "glue ins" fir direct mounting

dhoff
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
why is it that everyone seems to prefer the Racer's with the braze in mounts?

I have looked at the brakes and the pivot points seem to be in the same spot on both the center mounts and the braze on's and I cannot imagine that the braze on studs weigh much less than the 35g or so that is the difference in weight.

I went for the center mount's on my Brevet/light touring bike as I wanted to be able to replace the brake in an emergency far from home with something I could find locally. Now I am looking at the Racer Mediums on a Pave at some time in the near future and thinking I would go the same way, center mount.

Does anyone have a compelling reason why the Braze on mounts would be preferable?

I have hear before that there is less flex but unless I am misinterpreting the pictures, that cannot be possible.

-d

bicycletricycle
09-25-2011, 09:05 PM
The ability to have direct braze-ons for the paul brakes makes the carriage found on the back of the center mount versions an adapter that should only be used when one does not have the correct equipment because adapters suck.

dhoff
09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
The ability to have direct braze-ons for the paul brakes makes the carriage found on the back of the center mount versions an adapter that should only be used when one does not have the correct equipment because adapters suck.

What does that mean, adaptors suck? almost everything ever invented was an adaptation. Why is that an adaptor rather than simply an alternative approach? I think the Racer M was designed with both models. This is not a conversion.

I am asking what the difference in performance is. Is there one or are you just assuming?

Lionel
09-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Would be interested as well. Going for center mount on the recommendation of the builder of the frame/fork but I cannot remember why!

Gothard
09-26-2011, 06:34 AM
There is likely less play with the direct mount, and a stiffer setup, the only pivots being solidly anchored to the fork.

I have racers on my Kirk, and they are likely the best rim brakes I have. Modulation is excellent.

Having solid mounts moulded in the fork with removable studs would be the cream of the crop.

Fixed
10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
thanks for the peek at the nice bike you have dave
cheers