PDA

View Full Version : Drilling carbon to add a cage?

TomP
09-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking at a Giant TCX CX bike. It doesn't come with bottle cage bosses. My Giant TCR carbon road bike has them of course and I saw Lars Boom's Giant TCX CX bike has them. I've added bosses to aluminum bikes using a Rivnut and it was great. Seems like it should work on carbon also. Any thoughts / ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

birdo
09-20-2011, 09:57 PM
No. Just.... no. Don't.

tuxbailey
09-20-2011, 10:01 PM
How about just getting the ones for the saddle?

FlashUNC
09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
That's a big no.....

Fishbike
09-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a cage with a velcro strap on my cross frame. Hardly perfect but better methinks than the alternative you are proposing. . . :no:

rwsaunders
09-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice matching electrical tape ala ERichie will work.

TomP
09-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Ok...stupid idea :beer: but at least I asked before I did it. Guess I'll stay with my aluminum CX bike. Nothing wrong with it. It's the regular Giant TCX, in fact it's great. I was just looking for a reason I guess to get a different bike for this season.

Thanks everyone!

odin99
09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
NO SIR! :no:

bicycletricycle
09-21-2011, 12:30 AM
its not like most carbon frames have molded in bosses. I bet you could drill and rivnut it or maybe drill and epoxy in something. Maybe calfee could help with some advice.

pdmtong
09-21-2011, 12:46 AM
call calfee

Andrewlcox
09-21-2011, 12:58 AM
I bet you could drill and rivnut it or maybe drill and epoxy in something.

I have recently seen a Scott CR1 with riveted FD mounts on their frames. They might also be glued on but it appears they use rivets in the carbon so maybe it can be done.

Andy

TimmyB
09-21-2011, 12:59 AM
What about the magnet cages that strap on with rubber bands? Seem like the best option to me. Easy on, Easy off. No drilling.

wasfast
09-21-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm in a similar spot with an import carbon cross bike, my rain bike. The least invasive is the velcro type mentioned early on in the thread:

http://www.boomerdirect.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/1719067/1226162.htm

Back in the day, before there were braze-on's for steel frames, some used automotive type hose clamps with inner tubes for frame protection underneath. Not the most attractive but they at least stayed put.

I'd be somewhat concerned about using rivets given the amount of leverage on the cage when pulling the bottle out/putting it in. The stance (aspect ratio) of the cage side to side isn't very much and would put quite a load on the rivets.

Lifelover
09-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm not a frame builder but then again no one else that responed is.

2 small hole in the down tube or seat tube are not going to make ANY difference.

If anyone thinks thier frame is so weak that it would, they need to get the hell off it right now.

BillG
09-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not a frame builder but then again no one else that responed is.

2 small hole in the down tube or seat tube are not going to make ANY difference.

If anyone thinks thier frame is so weak that it would, they need to get the hell off it right now.

Couldn't it initiate a crack depending on how you drill it and the orientation of the carbon fibers? I don't know, but that's what I would fear.

Cinci Jim
09-21-2011, 09:43 AM
I'll qualify this by saying I don't know a lot about CF. But carbon steerers get cut all the time and for the most part no one worries about it (except for the people who worry about carbon in general). I believe carbon lugs are machined to some degree to get the correct specs...

If you drilled 2 small holes and epoxied something into the holes - would this be a lot different?

Just askin'

vjp
09-21-2011, 09:48 AM
If you drilled 2 small holes and epoxied something into the holes - would this be a lot different?

Just askin'

No, it wouldn't. Just have it done properly.

GuyGadois
09-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Depending on which side of the country you live on I would call Calfee or Parlee.

GG

Nags&Ducs
09-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I've thought about this too. I have a Colnago Ext C that doesn't have seattube bosses and I wondered how I can get a cage there. I called Calfee but they never got back to me. Instead of drilling holes, I thought about gluing or epoxying small round carbon mounds and drilling holes into them. Then use short M4 bolts. That way, only the epoxy interacts with the carbon. Another brainstorm idea was a carbon band similar to Parlee's carbon front derailleur clamp. Make a pair that tightens when screwing in the M4 bolts. Now if only Parlee or Calfee would make them for us.

dave thompson
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Here's Calfee's solution to not drilling holes in their tubes.

TomP
09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Here's Calfee's solution to not drilling holes in their tubes.

Now this is awesome and could easily be done. Maybe I'll still get that bike....