PDA

View Full Version : speedplay: what's the big deal?

giverdada
09-20-2011, 05:39 PM
final steps in completing the build include pedals and fancy pants (ish) wheels.

my lady loves her speedplays. many people riding speedplays win. i am completely intimidated by their many screws and points of adjustment. (everyone seems to lose screws some time, and i appreciate limits to adjustment on things like pedals - i'm a bit basic like that.)

i was planning on look keo max 2/carbons. looks have been great for me and i understand them.

what do you all say? thanks in advance for your input.

nick.

cp43
09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd say, stick with the looks. No point changing unless you don't like something about what you're currently using.

YMMV.

Chris

1centaur
09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Without getting into a Speedplay vs. Look debate, I think if Looks are working for you, stick with them. Speedplay Zeroes are more adjustable and have double-sided entry, but if those two features don't attract you, I don't think the weight differences are worth considering and if you need the extra little margin of error cornering then change your cornering technique. I ride Speedplays because I value the limits and the two sides; Looks always make my legs a little unhappy, but I wish I liked Looks or Times more because 3-hole cleats are universal and adapter plates are annoying.

rustychisel
09-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Without getting into a Speedplay vs. Look debate, I think if Looks are working for you, stick with them. Speedplay Zeroes are more adjustable and have double-sided entry, but if those two features don't attract you, I don't think the weight differences are worth considering and if you need the extra little margin of error cornering then change your cornering technique. I ride Speedplays because I value the limits and the two sides; Looks always make my legs a little unhappy, but I wish I liked Looks or Times more because 3-hole cleats are universal and adapter plates are annoying.

pretty much this. Don't change just for the sake of change, but if you are looking around, do some serious research into Keywin (current very informative thread on WW forum).

giverdada
09-20-2011, 06:08 PM
totally forgot to mention the double-sided entry. this has me very intrigued, as i spend much of my time trackstanding at lights to avoid the dreaded road pedal clip in. i'm just terrible at that. double sided sounds great.

rjfr
09-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I haven't tried any other pedals in the past 20 years, but I find the speedplays really a no brainer for entry.

On the other hand, the guys I ride with, who favor Shimano and Look, don't seem to have much of a problem either. A few struggle, but maybe they are mechanically challenged.

i have zero's and X's, no thought about aligning the pedal, just find the puck and push.

Elefantino
09-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I have ridden Speedplays for 13 years; before that, Looks. Bad knee necessitated the change and I'm glad I switched.

Screws: Once I mount SP cleats, there is no more adjustment, at least not for a couple of years or if I change shoes.

Entry: The double-sided entry is, to me, an overblown sales point. I never had a problem getting into Looks. YMMV.

So: If you like the Looks, stay with them. Good pedals.

AngryScientist
09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
pedals and saddles : if you dont have a problem with what you're using, stick with it.

DRZRM
09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I just picked up some four-holed shoes (Lake cx401s) which removes the need for adapter plates and lowered the stack height a bit. I've always liked my Speedplays, now I like them even more.

fogrider
09-20-2011, 10:34 PM
pedals are a very personal thing...ride what works for you. if you want to try them, find someone with an extra set or buy a used set. if you don't like them, sell them.

I like the large platforms of looks, other cleats give me hot spots after about 50 miles.

Peter B
09-20-2011, 10:43 PM
My biggest complaint with Speedplay was their susceptibility to mud/dirt fouling in the cleat springs.

sworcester
09-20-2011, 10:58 PM
My biggest complaint with Speedplay was their susceptibility to mud/dirt fouling in the cleat springs.

I'll go with that. Only have a problem when I have to do a dismount though a bothersome Texas torn up intersection. If I was doing cross or MTB, would be a different story.

Been using them for 15+ years and like them, but I agree, just to 'asperiment, if you have the discretionary income, sure. Good call. Light weight, good movement, easy entry, good cornering clearance. I don't fiddle with them other than occasional tightening of the cleats and some drops of oil on the cleat pivot points. But if you have no complaints with what you run, stick with it brother.

cmg
09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
been riding speedplay x's for the last 3 years, my knees love them. unlimited float is great. the double sided entry is a plus. still have one set Keos on a bike the locking in on a green light is a pain.

pdmtong
09-21-2011, 12:54 AM
SPD-SL....supremely walkable while others are ice skating across the concrete

oops, sorry. I see you like and are happy with looks. IMHO stick with them

dd74
09-21-2011, 02:53 AM
My LBS says Speedplays simply don't have the feel of wider platform pedals, which is what I want with a pedal. So I stuck with what I have - Shimano 7900.

Birddog
09-21-2011, 07:49 AM
My LBS says Speedplays simply don't have the feel of wider platform pedals, which is what I want with a pedal.

LBS BS IMO.

johnnymossville
09-21-2011, 08:41 AM
It'll be very difficult getting me to part with my Speedplay Zeroes.

AngryScientist
09-21-2011, 08:43 AM
LBS BS IMO.

yup

DRZRM
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
While a soft sole may let you feel a "hotspot", a carbon, or even stiff plastic sole, really makes it impossible to "feel" the size of your pedal. I really question this critique. Platform size doesn't really matter...atmo.

My LBS says Speedplays simply don't have the feel of wider platform pedals, which is what I want with a pedal. So I stuck with what I have - Shimano 7900.

oldpotatoe
09-21-2011, 08:48 AM

I guess a bike shop who has nobody that uses Speedplay. Do they sell 'em? Have any experience with them?

shimano and Look are fine pedals but Speedplay, with the plate that goes on the shoe first, 'feels' like any pedal. PLUS more adjustability than any pedal on the market, plus double sided. I recommend that bike shop get a EP pair of Zero Chrom-moly and actually try them rather than say the above.

RedRider
09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
IMHO, the big advantage that Speedplay offer is from a fitting perspective. The Zeros can be adjusted for both front and back float and spindle length (Q factoer) can be changed for the ideal fit for the rider. This is all done on the cleat itself not the pedal so if you own more than one bike, with Speedplays, you always have the same foot pedal relationship.
On another note, if you have self-prescribed Speedplays to solve knee issues just for increased float I suggest getting a new professional fitting. The knee is often a victim of the foot and/or hip. If you are having knee discomfort while cycling in many cases it is a saddle/hip or pedal/foot issue; size, height, alignment etc.

Keith A
09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
SPD-SL....supremely walkable while others are ice skating across the concreteGood point.

Several years ago I was in the process of figuring out which pedal system to choose between SpeedPlay Zeros and Shimano SPD-SL's. I bought a pair of each and rode each one for several months before settling on which one to use. I ended up going with SpeedPlay and liked them for a while, but the cleat/pedal interface developed an annoying side to side rocking that new cleats didn't solve. So I switched back to the Shimano SPD-SL's and couldn't be happier.

As I see it, here are the advantages for the Shimano SPD-SL's:
o Can walk on the cleats without putting on cleat covers.
o Just as easy to get into as the SpeedPlay double sided entry.
o Cleats last longer and are cheaper to replace.
o Handles debris in the cleat/pedal interface better.
o Has a more solid feel.
o Easier to setup and almost all shoes don't require any special adapters for the cleats.

SpeedPlay zeros do have some good points which are:
o Adjustable amount of rotation in the float.
o The float is less restrictive than the SPD-SL's.

DfCas
09-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I saw on Velonews that Sidi has announced some shoes with a 4 hole Speedplay sole/bolt pattern, so the stack height can be minimized.

Mike126
09-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I switched from Looks 8 years ago due to a kneee injury. I love my Speedplays. No adjustment to speak of just maintenance every few thousand miles with a squirt of grease in the injection port and I'm good to go.

But if you like Looks stay with Looks. They are a nice pedal also.

dd74
09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
While a soft sole may let you feel a "hotspot", a carbon, or even stiff plastic sole, really makes it impossible to "feel" the size of your pedal. I really question this critique. Platform size doesn't really matter...atmo.
Yes, that's what a sales rep for Speedplay told me.

dd74
09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I guess a bike shop who has nobody that uses Speedplay. Do they sell 'em? Have any experience with them?
Yeah, they sell them, and even as I was ready to drop the coin for some Ti Zeroes, they recommended I stick with my Shimanos.

shimano and Look are fine pedals but Speedplay, with the plate that goes on the shoe first, 'feels' like any pedal. PLUS more adjustability than any pedal on the market, plus double sided. I recommend that bike shop get a EP pair of Zero Chrom-moly and actually try them rather than say the above.
Yep, that's what the Speedplay sales rep told me.

I may still try them. I had the original models and hated them simply because of the float, which I know can now be adjusted.

WeakRider
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
I just picked up some four-holed shoes (Lake cx401s) which removes the need for adapter plates and lowered the stack height a bit. I've always liked my Speedplays, now I like them even more.

+1

I'd also like to agree with whoever said that Speedplay cleats do not play well in the mud/dirt. I love my Speedplays, and I wish I could've run them at D2R2--but I knew better.