PDA

View Full Version : That's a my-a boy!

Kevan
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, the cycling-related events of this week have been remarkably rewarding. A couple weeks ago a work colleague out in San Diego, who had lent me a bike when visiting out there, called me and asked if I'd like his bike, he wanted to find it a good home. Well, certainly I sprang on the offer, but asked why he was leaving the sport. He'd gone through hip replacement surgery a year ago and was concerned that even the simplest of falls might render him an invalid so he was going to concentrate on swimming from here on in, his Ironman triathlon days were over. He didn't want money, he just wanted his bike to get used and properly taken care of. I promised him both, but asked if he minded that instead of my using it I let my 14 year-old son, Tucker, have it. He was more than happy with the idea. So amidst a change in jobs, and looking for housing in a new city, he bundled the bike up in a plastic travel case and shipped it out to me.

Now my friend had several bikes and I thought I knew which one was coming our direction, but I was wrong, he sent us his pride and joy. A Quintana Roo - Private Reserve, a time-trial frame dressed as a road bike. I pulled back the foam and there it was... this two-tone blue beer can frame with carbon fork and carbon stays. The damn bike weights near to nothing, I think maybe its around 17lbs. My friend in his earnest had almost completely disassembled the bike, likely a lot more than what's usually needed for packing, but this gave me the time needed to check all the parts over as I put the bike back together. The bike's dressed with a mix of Ultegra and DuraAce.

Tucker and I went for a visit to the local shop, he picked out faux-carbon bar tape, we got him a butt-ugly stem that would allow him easier reach and some comfort while he got himself adjusted to this riding style and some new pedals. Because Tucker isn't quite ready to commit to a life of lycra, chamois creme, or clipping into a pedal, I suggested that we get him the pedals that have a flat bed (his preferred shoe is of the skateboading variety) on one side and SPD clipless on the other. The boy was chomping at the bit to get outside to ride the thing. So there we were Thursday night, up 'til midnight puttin' this thing together w/ the Tore da French on the TV, blaring in the back ground. How groovy is that??? Then I decide to ride ol' pink from work the next day so I have both my bikes out, in the kitchen, switching stuff off the Calfee to the Serotta. My son's new bike is in the dining room clamped in the bike stand and he's just rolled his mtb from outside into the living room, all the while Phil Liggett is yakking it up on the ol' box. My wife seeing bikes scattered throughout the downstairs went screaming out of the house into the dark of night, pulling at her hair. I only hope she didn't awaken the neighbors.

So that night, the bike's all put together, saddle's basically adjusted, and there's a half-hour left of the day. Tucker looks to me longingly and asks if he can give it just a quick spin outside. How could I deprive him, I'd of done it myself? I grab a flashlight and we head out.

Saturday we got out for a nice 12 mile ride which he accomplished without a problem and this morning we tried getting out early, but the rains and lightening moved in squashing our efforts so we retreated home.

The good thing is he's caught the bug and I've got a new riding partner. Oh yeah... I get the travel case!

Pix to be posted soon.

Jeff N.
07-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Terrific! Jeff N.

dehoopta
07-17-2005, 11:04 AM
I can totally relate! In April I received my Coeur d' Acier (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8439) and decided to pass my previous bike (Centurion Ironman with Shimano 600 first generation index shifting) to my 14 year old son. Like you, I wanted to get platform pedals because I didn't think he was ready for clipless. I brought home some inserts for the SPD's but they didn't work. Eager to ride, he pleaded to just give the clipless pedals a try. Despite falling twice, he was bitten. I took him out for a twenty-mile ride soon after. I wish I had his form at 14. Smooth stroking at about 80-90 RPM with not a waver off his line. He decided to show me his stuff and stood up to sprint. Another great show of form. He was psyched that we rode at about 16-17 MPH average.

I not only gained a riding partner, but probably someone who wil eclipse me in a few years (in truth, probably a few months)

I share your joy!

Kevin
07-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Being a Dad is wonderful. Thanks for sharing the stories.

Kevin