PDA

View Full Version : ultegra10 vs DA10?

Climb01742
07-17-2005, 05:21 AM
can anyone address how much preformance does ultegra10 give up to DA10? i guess i'm most interested in two areas where, for me anyway, DA10 really shines: crispness/smoothness of shifts and braking power. and are the brifters shaped almost the same, 'cause i really like how DA10 brifters feel. any firsthand impressions would be appreciated. thanks!

Jeff N.
07-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I ride both and, from a performance standpoint, I think theres very little difference between the two. DA has more polish, is perhaps a bit lighter overall, and a few more tweaks here and there. DA hubs are 10-speed only whereas Ultegra hubs'll work with 9-speed as well. Ultegra can be had for significantly cheaper. Jeff N.

dirtdigger88
07-17-2005, 11:10 AM
personally-

I dont see much in the peformance side

I do like the DA brifters "feel" much more that the Ultergra

Jason

sirroada
07-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Coming from a guy who has ridden both, I will tell you this...if you spend the dough to buy a serotta, spend the dough and put Dura Ace on it. The biggest difference I notice is that I can shift between the chainrings without any effort. What I mean to say here is that I can be cranking up a hill in the little ring under high speed stress and shift up to the big ring with little more than a flick of the finger and a click of the chain...it never misses. The other big improvement is braking power. It is a night and day difference. I actually feel safe on this bike because I can stop it from 40 mph relatively quickly. SO....my opinion is this, don't go cheap on a bike you will love...spend the cash and get the good stuff, you will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER regret it. Not only that it's cheaper to do it right the first time around rather than to cheap and then spend extra over time to upgrade.

Climb01742
07-17-2005, 03:08 PM
interesting. i know that my DA10 is far superior to my old ultegra9 (or even DA9) but i was curious how far along the new ultegra10 had come. maybe not far enough?

Smiley
07-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Climb , the new Ultegra 10 Blows away the DA 9 speed stuff you have . I rode both , prefer the eronomics of the brifters of the DA 10 , other then that maybe its just a tad crisper in DA . I felt so blown away buy both Ulegra and DA as compared to my 9 speed stuff I wanted to CRY :confused:

dirtdigger88
07-17-2005, 04:05 PM
smileys right- If I had to pick between Ultegra10 and DA9- I would pick Ultegra- its just that DA10 blows EVERYTHING away-

Take that you Campy lovers :p

Jason

JohnS
07-17-2005, 04:50 PM
All I can say is that you Shimano people must have very little hand strength if lighter shifting is so important to you. :)

dirtdigger88
07-17-2005, 06:01 PM
All I can say is that you Shimano people must have very little hand strength if lighter shifting is so important to you. :)

no- I just have adult sized hands- :D

Jason

BarryG
07-17-2005, 06:44 PM
FWIW, my Ultegra10 is substantially better than my Ultegra9 - most noticeably in FD shifting, braking, and crank stiffness. The only downside is fast chainwear.

New design of the crank/bb makes removal/installation a breeze.

Barry

H.Frank Beshear
07-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Dirtman spades on the ends of your wrists are not techniquely hands. :D :banana: Frank