PDA

View Full Version : Goodrich at one year

CNY rider
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
I thought the other thread with one year follow-up on a bicycle was great, so here's my go at it.
I got my custom Goodrich about one year ago. I asked for a bike I would enjoy riding on local paved and smooth dirt roads. I wanted fenders and 700X28 tires. I built it with Athena compact and a set of handbuilt wheels from Peter White with WI hubs and Velocity Synergy rims.

The bike has met and then exceeded my expectations. I would say that it is the perfect century ride bike. Once you get settled in and in a rhythm it is incredibly smooth and comfortable. I have had no issues with instability, twitchiness or wobble.
It is light enough (no I haven't put it on a scale) that I feel I can accelerate up hills but it has that firm, planted feeling that I associate with quality steel.

One complaint? The paint is a bit fragile. Anything of substance that I brush up against will leave a mark. I put a chainstay protector on because the right stay was very vulnerable to dings from the chain.

Here it is exactly as ridden yesterday. I'm not sure that I love the Riv front bag and there may be a replacement in the future.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/eribrav/Goodrichpic.jpg

bigflax925
09-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Love it!

Between the details on the fenders and the brazed-on Racer brakes, it looks perfect. Sounds perfect, too.

tiretrax
09-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Have you done any randoneuring?

rugbysecondrow
09-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Nice. What tires are on there?

goonster
09-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Very nice.

I have a similar bag, and it really benefits from a home-made stiffener fashioned from Coroplast. That way, it does not collapse when it isn't full.

SamIAm
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
That has the look of a bike that gets used and that is a good thing.

My wife has a Goodrich (2 years old or so I think) that has experienced similar paint adhesion issues, but she loves the ride.

My recent Goodrich, need to put some pictures up here soon, has flawless paint and has shown no such fragility. I think Curt has really dialed in his painting skills at this point.

palincss
09-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Is this one Curt painted himself?

odin99
09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
goodlookingbike. what are you other rides and how does this one compare?

CNY rider
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the comments

My rides are usually the 40 mile or so variety.
I have a young family and a job that are pretty consuming but I'm not complaining.

The tires are 700X28 Grand Bois. I give them a nice chunk of credit for how well this bike rides. They are very supple, handle well and give excellent road feedback. They are not nearly as tough as the Conti Grand Prix's that I commute on but the trade off in ride quality is worth it.

I've been through lots of bikes. The keepers for me are this one, my Mariposa and my Ti Legend road bike and Ti Legend cyclocross bike.

This is much lighter than the Mariposa. Having said that both are very comfortable but I enjoy climbing more on the Goodrich. The Mariposa has integrated lighting and more carrying capacity which definitely come in handy when that's what is called for. I love coming home from work later than I thought I would be there, and just throwing over the switch on the generator hub without a care in the world. The Legend road is buttery smooth and also rock stable. The Ti dirt road bike is what lets me ride all the nice dirt roads and trails with 700X32 cross tires.

This was painted by Curt himself. It was a challenging paint job, especially striping the fenders and he executed it flawlessly. The paint just mars easier than on my other bikes.

Johny
09-20-2011, 01:48 PM
It's a great looking bike. Proper and balanced. Now we know it rides even better!

I hope to bring his little brother (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35685161@N00/sets/72157627164308711/) to Dirtphalt next month but may not have enough time to put it together after I get back from San Diego.

John

dekindy
09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I thought this was going to be a tongue in cheek about delivery being one year over due! :rolleyes: Actually, that would not be correct either since the last time I heard it was years, not a year. I guess I don't know what this was going to be about. Glad somebody got a Goodrich delivered.