PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new team

kgrooney
09-20-2011, 07:39 AM
I was advised yesterday by USA Cycling that it is not required to host an event to establish a new team, however, the team would not be "sponsored" and that the team kit cannot display sponsor logos.

Is this accurate and if so, how does USAC police this?

Thus far, I have a handful of riders who wish to form the club and sponsors who wish to provide capital, however, I don't believe hosting an event would be possible with such a small group.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BobC
09-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Find another team to co-host an event.

Do the paperwork.

Have your teammates provide support to the event.

You're in compliance, you might get to race free & earn some coin for the team coffer.

Win-win

flydhest
09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
My team is quite new. I am one of the founding members. My recollection (which is vague) is that if you are a "shop team" then you do not have to host an event. We left the shop that we started the team with (I had been running the shop ride, and that is how the team started) so we had to host an event. We have been co-hosting a race with another, larger, more-experienced team. Hosting a race is hard and complex, so you are right to be skeptical of your team's ability to do it initially. No doubt, you'd get there, but working with a team that has done it saves headaches.

You might want to check with USAC about the shop team thing, it may be the easiest step if you have an LBS you like.

FGC
09-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't police it at all and have no capacity to do so. I know lots of teams that haven't sponsored a race for years, even though they display all sorts of sponsor logos on their jerseys.

GregL
09-20-2011, 01:58 PM
It's not policed, but if asked, an official would have to enforce the rule. Basically, plain jersey unless your team has held or co-hosted an event. I have seen a few "by the rules" officials pull people at the start line if they were wearing a trade team jersey in a cat 4 or 5 race. When I'm officiating, I will advise those who I know to be wearing a sponsored jersey (but who haven't hosted an event) of the rule and ask for compliance in the future. The more events, the better :)

reidbeloni
09-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Co-hosting an event is a great way to do it. You can provide the volunteers for someone else's event and still get credit. Or you can promote a non-competitive event. Like a cookie ride or a clinic. I believe these still count with USAC as an event. They also have lower insurance per rider costs.