PDA

View Full Version : Interbike

Jason E
09-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey, so um, was IB terrible this year? Seems like in previous years the Cyclingnews and Velonews had much larger galleries and spreads on the show.

Is NAHBS, and the independent shows, taking that much of a bite?

oldpotatoe
09-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Hey, so um, was IB terrible this year? Seems like in previous years the Cyclingnews and Velonews had much larger galleries and spreads on the show.

Is NAHBS, and the independent shows, taking that much of a bite?

I agree, smaller displays, smaller crowds, less $ for R/D and anything new.

I think the bite is the economy, more than anything.

Hawker
09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
I've also heard that some of the other major players are following Trek, leaving Interbike and having shows of their own for their dealers. True?

that guy
09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
There was a much more positive attitude at the show than last year, and the revenues are starting to flow again. Thing is, the budgets for booths were probably set a year ago and many were much smaller than last year.

It is true that many major players are looking to invest their tradeshow dollars elsewhere. Events like Outerbike are really having them re-examine the need for a presence at an industry-only show.

Jack Brunk
09-20-2011, 10:39 PM
My opinon is most of the stuff that's at Interbike is leaked out far before the show. Why go when you can see the stuff before it's released? I'm going to Outerbike in Moab to ride the 2012 bikes to see how they actually ride. I think Interbike is making a big mistake to NOT include the consumer. It's actually you and I that buy the stuff not the dealers.

FastVegan
09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
It was not as "cool" as last year.

I am shocked Mavic was not there, they had a great booth last year.

I did get a clif bar from Freddy Rodriguez.

I only go to interbike to see CrossVegas.
Dave

Charles M
09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Mavic were the first thing everyone see's for the last several years. BIG yellow booth right in front of the main entrance... Theyw were at Dirt Demo.

This is an economy thing. product development cycles from 18 months to two years ago were what was to be displayed here and it was just short. Non Cannondale, Trek, Mavic, Colnago... I understand why these guys want to have their own shows, but it's frankly heavy handed. But then Specialized walls off their booth and polices it rather than showing their product to some degree too. It's like the cheap version of Trek World where they want to be super exclusive but dont want to pay the money to do it right (of course Trek's factory is FANTASTIC, so they very frankly have a lot more substance).

My favorite trip was Dealer Camp...

Look out and see this instead of the Vegas Strip:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/dealercamp/11dc1hotel.jpg

The show floor was designed to go ride, dirt or road...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/dealercamp/11dc1.jpg

No smoke choked trip to the basement, no Hour long bus ride from hell to get to dirt demo and CHEAPER for all companies to display...

Yeah, interbike was weak this year but not void of cool stuff... there was just less of it and you had to look harder...

jr59
09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
@Pez;

Who wants to go to a trade show and have to look hard for cool stuff?
That would seem to me to be counterproductive!

Isn't a trade show a place to show your new stuff and create excitment for next years product line?

Of course the bike industry is a little strange! :confused:

Charles M
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Perspective maybe (to be fair)...

What I think has a cool factor might be different given I'm really lucky to have a look at a lot of cool stuff. Maybe it's partly me being a little numb to some of the new products.

There were still enough things to see to make the trip, but not enough to call it "great" compared to say 2004-2009...

Ti Designs
09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
I think Interbike is making a big mistake to NOT include the consumer. It's actually you and I that buy the stuff not the dealers.

I think you've missed the idea of an industry show. It's not about sales to consumers - if dealer direct companies show up for the industry show their wasting their time. It's about getting those pre-season orders from retailers. It's about solving issues with supply of product. It's about nailing down service issues before the consumers start yelling. Example, you're a shop owner doing your pre-season bike buying. You're looking for a line that fits your needs, has delivery times that meat the needs of your location (bikes don't sell too well in New England during the winter), and you're looking for a single line that has road bikes, hybrids and a belt drive commuter. You can find that at Interbike, or you can find out you got it wrong next year.

There probably should be a consumer show, as they seem far more interested in going.

Jack Brunk
09-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I think you've missed the idea of an industry show. It's not about sales to consumers - if dealer direct companies show up for the industry show their wasting their time. It's about getting those pre-season orders from retailers. It's about solving issues with supply of product. It's about nailing down service issues before the consumers start yelling. Example, you're a shop owner doing your pre-season bike buying. You're looking for a line that fits your needs, has delivery times that meat the needs of your location (bikes don't sell too well in New England during the winter), and you're looking for a single line that has road bikes, hybrids and a belt drive commuter. You can find that at Interbike, or you can find out you got it wrong next year.

There probably should be a consumer show, as they seem far more interested in going.
I understand the show the idea behind the show. Take what Eurobike does with their public day aimed at the consumer to actually touch the product has been very successful. Also the growth of Outerbike in a very short period of time I think shows that it's good to get the end user involved.

dd74
09-21-2011, 12:50 PM
So this wasn't the Comic Con of bicycles?

Anyone see the electronic Campy? Anyone try it out?

victoryfactory
09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
It's not just Interbike.
And it's not just the "Economy"
All trade shows have been declining for years.

My company used to go to our big industry show every year.
It cost many thousands to bring all the stuff and people every year
just to watch buyers stroll by and maybe hand out a few catalogs and
write a few orders. But that was the way it was done.
Everyone went, all the buyers were there.

Enter Internet.

There are far cheaper alternatives to the traditional trade show today.

We skipped the show a few years ago and spent less that half on Google ads and
got 10 times the new business.

Trade shows are like shopping malls. People still go, They look around
and maybe visit the food court
but they buy most everything on line.
And the wholesalers are reaching their buyers with new technology like
"Virtual" trade shows.
VF