PDA

View Full Version : Rapha jersey feedback

bikemoore
09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I know I'm goint to cause some controversy with this one, but I'm going to do it anyway.

First of all, thank you to whoever posted the discount code a few weeks ago for first-time Rapha buyers to get the big discount on Rapha jerseys. I had never bought Rapha due to the price and had become somewhat anti-Rapha because I thought they were just manipulating the market with their high pricing and marketing. Playing us for suckers. But that discount brought the price of jerseys down low enough that I was willing to try. So I bought two white German Country jerseys at a price of about $75 each. Not cheap, but low enough that I was willing to treat myself. Again, thank you to whoever posted the code (I'm too lazy to look it up) because I never would have bought the jerseys without it.

Now, for my review/feedback:

Do I like the jerseys? Yes. They are very nicely made, fit well, and the attention to detail is obvious.

Do I think they are worth the money? Maybe at the deeply discounted sale price that I paid through the combination of the summer sale and the first-time buyer discount, but I would not and will not buy any more unless I can get them for the same price. Mind you, the Rapha jerseys are quality, they feel nice, and work well, but my other jerseys for which I pay about 40% of the discounted Rapha price work well enough that I still don't get the price/quality calculus for going Rapha. My other jerseys (I won't mention other brands) work very well at a much lower cost. Again, the Rapha's are nice, but it's not like these other jerseys are junk. I mean, what do we really need other than something that fits reasonably well, takes a good sweat, doesn't chafe, and holds our myriad stuff in the pockets?

Am I glad I bought the Rapha jerseys? Mostly. I feel like I treated myself to something nice without completely blowing the bank. But that was certainly my upper limit on cycling clothing cost.

So there, I have tried Rapha....I like the quality, the look, and the feel. But that is probably the only Rapha I will ever own. Still too expensive, especially considering the relative cost/quality of the competition out there.

merckx
09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Write another review in six years when your rapha jerseys still look new and don't stink.

rice rocket
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Write another review in six years when your rapha jerseys still look new and don't stink.

Does Rapha use special fabric that doesn't wear or stain? :rolleyes:

They do however have the best crash replacement policy in the business though (FREE!), which in my opinion makes it worth the (discounted) cost.

merckx
09-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I have a few Rapha Jerseys that are from their first introduction and have worn them for thousands of miles. They look new and don't stink. I'm not saying they are the only game in town, but I have been impressed with their durability and wearability. I cannot say the same for all of the clothing products that I have used in my cycling history.

jlwdm
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Do we really need another Rapha jersey thread (no pun intended)?

Started to make some comments but deleted them. Don't want to add to this continual banter.

Jeff

Fixed
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
someone figured out if you make something really well /cool you can charge a lot for it
cheers

Grant McLean
09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
I mean, what do we really need other than something that fits reasonably well, takes a good sweat, doesn't chafe, and holds our myriad stuff in the pockets?

I would add that it should look good.

-g

yashcha
09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Does Rapha use special fabric that doesn't wear or stain? :rolleyes:

They do however have the best crash replacement policy in the business though (FREE!), which in my opinion makes it worth the (discounted) cost.

I tested this out because a zipper broke on my wind jacket.

They were not able to fix the zipper and they would not replace it, but gave me a 40% off a similar item.

oldguy00
09-19-2011, 03:29 PM
someone figured out if you make something really well /cool you can charge a lot for it
cheers

Well said. :)
To the OP - you basically said that it is a high quality product and that you do in fact feel you treated yourself.
Don't forget, price is kind of relative. $150 for a single jersey is nothing for a lot of folks (not me).
If someone can afford close to MSRP for a Serotta, they can easily afford some Rapha clothing.

christian
09-19-2011, 03:31 PM

They were not able to fix the zipper and they would not replace it, but gave me a 40% off a similar item.Really? That's pretty poor, actually. How long had you had the jacket?

yashcha
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Really? That's pretty poor, actually. How long had you had the jacket?

I had it for 2 years maybe? I just took off a YKK 3c zipper form another jacket and resewed everything back together. I am not sure why they were not able to fix it.

zmudshark
09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Anyone remember what a Protog jersey cost back in the 80's?

I still wear one, as well as an arm/leg warmer and winter hat. If Rapha lasts 30+ years, I suppose they are a bargain.

tiretrax
09-19-2011, 05:21 PM

They were not able to fix the zipper and they would not replace it, but gave me a 40% off a similar item.
That's strange - they just fixed a zipper for me (didn't require replacing) and paid for shipping both ways. I believe they state free repairs on their website.

Yes, there stuff is expensive, but it's well made, well styled, great quality fabrics. With the double discount, it made it affordable, and a great value, IMHO. I have other high end jerseys and bibs, and I think the Rapha stuff is superior. I am sold on the classic styling, good quality materials, and good workmanship. Their videos are great, too.

It's too expensive without the discount, and for that, look to eBay. There are lots of gently used jerseys on there (few in my size), and, sometimes, here.

I suggest you try some of the winter goods (when the after Christmas sale begins and a discount code has been posted).

avalonracing
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Wow, that would make them just like my Jerseys from Castelli, Voler and Pearl Izumi :D

CNY rider
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
My opinion is in line with the original poster's.
I now have the white and red country jerseys. First Rapha garments for me.
I think they are very nicely made, look sharp and have performed well on the few rides I have used them on so far.
Would I buy more at full price? No. That's just not me.
Were they a great buy at the offered price? Yes.
I look forward to enjoying them for many years and adding more Rapha products when I can get a good deal on them.

BryanE
09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
I bought three and couldn't be happier.
I'm glad I jumped on the deal.
The best quality jerseys I've got.
BE

Elefantino
09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Stink? How does one get a jersey to stink?

Seriously. Wash mine after each use. Then line dry.

Doesn't everyone?

Full disclosure: I bought a Galibier jersey at the Rapha store in SF this summer.

layneo59
09-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I have three Rapha jerseys and love them all. Very well made.

The only complaint I have is that they seem to be long on me. None of my other jerseys seem to be as long (same size, same fit rest of the jersey). I've noticed at times that it looks like the back side is "flapping in the breeze" when I'm riding at a decent pace.

Otherwise the rest of the jersey fits great. Am I the only one that has this issue?

rustychisel
09-19-2011, 09:57 PM
I was given a Rapha Team Sharp Panasonic jersey for my birthday. It's black. It sorta matches my black bibshorts so I wear it, sometimes with black arm warmers, and I look like a fashion shoot in motion. It is a very nice jersey and no freakin' way would I have paid full retail for it.

tv_vt
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
No. I had a Lightweight jersey that I sent back to Competitive Cyclist because it was too long. Otherwise, it was an awesome jersey. Just way too long. Country jersey is not as long - it's getting a lot of use now.

T

sailorboy
09-19-2011, 10:48 PM
and don't forget the self-important smugfest that you embark on every time you don your carefully curated rapha outfit.

ps, I own several of their items. ;)

velosport
09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I enjoy my Rapha clothing as much as Assos clothing. Some would say I pay too much for my clothing but I don't tell them they paid too little.

beeatnik
09-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Assos is the hot, unattainable girl with a great personality and yet a streak of aloofness. Rapha is the super hot new girl who in the wrong lighting isn't quite that hot. Both girls are infinitely hotter than Sofia Castelli.

yashcha
09-20-2011, 02:17 AM
I have the long sleeve jersey and the winter jersey.

I like them both for riding, and at times as casual wear because they are so comfortable. In terms of fit, I think the Assos 851 is better, like the difference between a tailored suit and a off the shelf. That being said, I sold my assos and kept the Rapha because I think it looks better.

ultratoad
09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes, Rapha is a bit pricey.... Yes, Rapha is marketing savy....

I have their jerseys, bibs, jackets, etc. The stuff is exceptional....

FlashUNC
09-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Unabashed Rapha fan. Have their shorts, winter tights, and a couple jerseys. Even like their chamois cream.

That being said, who pays full retail for cycling stuff? I thought everyone waited for end of season sales to stock up...