PDA

View Full Version : Road frame into cross

Hank Scorpio
09-19-2011, 01:36 PM
I have a land shark road frame that I creased the top tube with my shoe sole during a wild crash last year. Otherwise the frame is fine. I was planning on having Bilenky repair the top tube and keep it on the road but I would also like to have a cross bike for winter riding. Provided the lower stays have enough clearance for a wider tire is there anything else I should consider? I know the rear brake bridge may need to be raised and studs brazed on and a new fork. I do have a couple of questions though. Do the rear cable stops/ hangers that mount on the seatpost as effective as the ones built into the frame? If there isn't enough clearance for a tire can the insides of the stays be dimpled or would that not be advisable. I have seen some stays dimpled on the outside for chainring clearance before. I also have a friend that is willing to help me braze my own frame but the chances of having it done for this season are slim to no chance.?

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated. This whole thing may be Doa if I as to find a suitable frame at the t town swap next month.?

Thanks
James

palincss
09-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Do the rear cable stops/ hangers that mount on the seatpost as effective as the ones built into the frame?

If you mean hangers like this

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6008/5979775232_cc025022bf.jpg

the answer is yes, every bit as effective as one built into the frame.

fogrider
09-20-2011, 12:18 AM
I have seen some stays dimpled on the outside for chainring clearance before.
just grab a big hammer and go at it! I think you only need to clear 30 or 32 tires in the rear...I run tubular 32 in the front and 30 rear. you might even be able to find caliper brakes from tetkro that will clear 32s. these have extra quick release
http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=66&sortname=Road+Bike&sort=2&fid=9

djg
09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Are you asking whether this might be a workable project or whether this is likely to be a cost-effective way to build up a decent cross bike?

If it's the former, I suspect that the answer is "yes." If it's the latter, I doubt it. A decent used alloy cross frame in good condition will likely cost less money and build up into a better cross bike.

oliver1850
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
+1 ^

I really don't think it's worth the effort to convert it to a cross frame. I would have the Land Shark repaired as a road frame, and find an inexpensive cross frame to build up. I bought a new CAAD 8, and have really enjoyed riding it. I doubt you could get the conversion done for what I paid for the frameset.

Hank Scorpio
09-20-2011, 12:12 PM
I know it isn't going to be the economical solution but I thought if it is going back to be repaired it would be the best time to try it. I am pretty sure the clearance isn't sufficient on the lower stays so it is probably a non starter. I received so interesting offers on my WTB thread so I will just go in that direction.

Thanks for the replies
James