PDA

View Full Version : A new training hub to go slower

Andrewlcox
09-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Check out this training hub called PowerWheel (http://www.gizmag.com/powerwheel-slowwheel-resistance-cycling-wheels/19859/) or SlowWheel (http://trisportdevices.com/index.php).

I always wondered if it would make me a stronger cyclist to maybe pull my Burley Flatbed Trailer (http://www.burley.com/home/bur/page_453/flatbed.html) or some sort of resistance like this.

Andy

R2D2
09-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Just ride against the brake. Like when feathering speed in a paceline. Although most people seem to have forgotten this technique.

palincss
09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Known to everyone who rides a Spin bike, though. They call it "adding resistance."

Or, you could just ride a heavier bike, or slower high rolling resistance tires, or add some weight to your luggage.

christian
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I thought this was the purpose of Ruffy Tuffys?

93legendti
09-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I throw on heavier tires: Conti Top Touring 32c tires.

ergott
09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Or just ride faster. Or ride a greater distance.

Both are free and feel great.

What am I missing here?

CaptStash
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM

What am I missing here?

+1

Ummm, won't a bigger gear do the same identical thing? :crap:

Stash....

cassa
09-19-2011, 06:05 PM

What am I missing here?
Ummm, won't a bigger gear do the same identical thing?
One of their selling points is that you can train with someone who isn't as strong as you. If that's your goal, riding faster, farther, or in a bigger gear (without slowing cadence to the knee-wrecking range) don't seem like great options.

ergott
09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
One of their selling points is that you can train with someone who isn't as strong as you. If that's your goal, riding faster, farther, or in a bigger gear (without slowing cadence to the knee-wrecking range) don't seem like great options.

Intervals can't be done with others regardless. Real training is done alone.

If your buddies can't keep up on group rides, find faster friends. :bike:

Imagine pulling up to a ride with that thing.

"Yeah, I want to ride with you guys, but you are too slow for me. I need this hub to make your company worth my while."

Please. :rolleyes:

Fixed
09-19-2011, 06:57 PM
i think i have that hub already
cheers

Jason E
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
If your buddies can't keep up on group rides, find faster friends.

Ouch. :)

ergott
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Ouch. :)

Normally I never use the LOL, but it's so appropriate right now.

:beer:

Ti Designs
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Not all of it. My base mileage was done with the few other cyclists I could get to ride last winter. I never took days off for bad weather or too much ice, so I had studded snow tires on my fixed gear - they're fast-proof. My zone 3 with the studded noise makers was about the same as the other rider's zone 3 on their road bikes.

cassa
09-19-2011, 07:48 PM

If your buddies can't keep up on group rides, find faster friends. :bike:

Or work to help your friends get faster. Maybe by encouraging them to do intervals alone. Maybe even planning intervals days with them where you motivate each other even as you ride at different speeds.

I agree, no need for a special slowdown hub for that.

Imagine pulling up to a ride with that thing.

"Yeah, I want to ride with you guys, but you are too slow for me. I need this hub to make your company worth my while."

Please. :rolleyes:
Probably then have to find faster friends (or at least different ones). :rolleyes:

Hey Ergott, think of all the money you could make upgrading rims on these wheels to light and/or aero carbon rims for those that want the lightest and fastest. :)

ergott
09-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey Ergott, think of all the money you could make upgrading rims on these wheels to light and/or aero carbon rims for those that want the lightest and fastest. :)

Zipp 808 or Enve Smart 6.7 rim laced to that hub would be awesome.

odin99
09-19-2011, 08:10 PM
i think i have that hub already
cheers

find slower friends.

odin99
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
find slower friends.

ouch.

happycampyer
09-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I just switch my crank from Super Record ti to Record.

oldfatslow
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
It costs a whole lot less to simply do what I do and eat bacon cheese burgers and drink beer while watching football. I find that my bike gets heavier in the fall and winter increasing the resistance thus making me work harder on my training rides to get fit for Spring..

No special hubs needed nor feathering of the brakes or gimmicky investments required.

birdo
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
This is possibly the worst idea for a product marketed toward the bike racing crowd that I've heard of all year. Good job...

birdo
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Also did anyone else read the name of the site with the write up for this in their head as "jiz mag"?

reidbeloni
09-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I think it is a good idea. Does anyone recall something called "300% Harder?" I heard of them once. They were little wind vanes you attached to your spokes to increase resistance.

John M
09-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Sounds like the kind of thing triathletes would buy.

BobbyJones
09-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Watts are watts!

zap
09-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Race prius'.

Charles M
09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
This thing is pretty slick.

No effect on cadence (like just going bigger gear).
Works with all power meters.
Doesn't work below 10mph so balance doesn't get whack.
Just adding resistance without effecting anything else.