PDA

View Full Version : Questions around black Vitt. Paves?

roguedog
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I love my Vitt. Paves but I have a pair that are black (290 tpi). I can't find these any more. I can only find the new 320 tpi green but they won't look good on my bike (red). I'd feel like I was riding the Xmas bike though I've gotten desperate enough to say screw it.

Before I get them and create the Xmas bike, thought I'd ping our brain trust out there.

1. Anyone know if some store still has the black version?
2. I think the black version is supposed to come out soon. Anyone know when?
3. Anyone have tires suggestions that they feel from a ride and flat resistance are equivalent to the Paves?

TIA

phcollard
09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
It might look better than you think on a red bike. Think Italia instead of Xmas :)

1. I could not find a black version and I'm a pro online shopper.
2. I did not know that. Serious?
3. I haven't tried enough tires. Maybe the Conti 4 Seasons or GP4000S?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CB9mzf5LgKk/TXmBmfHDyOI/AAAAAAAABto/V66BPOxReJk/s1600/web-4.jpg

dekindy
09-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I researched Winter riding tires a couple of years ago and selected these also. Black production is sporadic and could not find any black ones anywhere. I suggest contacting Vittoria directly for production schedules. They looked okay on my bare titanium Legend with red decals but not so good on my blue and pick Colorado.

roguedog
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
phc -

re: black 320s, when i was searching earlier in the year, i thought i saw a site where it mentioned that the blacks ones would be due by some future date. however, now when i do a search i can't find that comment anywhere. :( btw, thanks for the pic. may give it a try.. and try to replace xmas w/ italia in my psyche

dekindy -

done. duh. i just sent off an email from their site. we'll see if i get an answer.

i have a vague thought of trying the conti 4000s.

phcollard
09-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Forgot to say I've got the Vitt Diamante Pro right now on my Serotta and they're very nice. Can't comment on punctures etc as I have been out with them a couple of times only but they look very reliable. They're black and not sexy at all :)

tv_vt
09-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Try the Conti 4000s, 700x23. Have both the Pave's and Contis in regular use, and the Contis are very, very smooth and comfortable. No proof, but they seem to be 'faster' than the Pave's.

Grant McLean
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Black version clincher Pave tires seem to have vanished.

For most of 2011, Competitive Cyclist and Biketiresdirect.com
have had listings for the 320 tpi verisons, with expected delivery dates
that kept getting bumped out into the future. Now they only list the green.

I've used the 290 tpi all black versions, but have switched to the regular
open corsa cx in 25mm, which i've preferred all around. But i don't seem
to have durability issues, even on gravel and in the city... ymmv.

-g

roguedog
09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys.

I was just going to suck it up and go with the Conti's until I saw this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=90340&highlight=4000s) thread with SoCal's issues mounting Conti's.

I've got the older Neutrons and currently have the Mich PR3s on them. Hard rim to install tires mixed with tires known to flat easily is why I'm looking for new tires. Mich came w/ the bike and so thought I'd try them and use them while I wait for the black Pave's.. until I flatted this weekend and was stuck on the side of the road trying to get those things off.. and then back on. It was either a goathead or something on the gravel road that did them in.

What tires seem go on Neutrons easily? Any comments on how easily your CXs and Diamante's mount onto your rims?

I really don't want to end up in a wrestling match on the side of the road w/ the Conti's or worse phoning home.

flydhest
09-20-2011, 09:12 AM
that Hampsten is just so tasty.

phcollard
09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys.

I was just going to suck it up and go with the Conti's until I saw this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=90340&highlight=4000s) thread with SoCal's issues mounting Conti's.

That's strange because Conti's are the easiest tires to mount for me. On Open Pro, Bontrager Race Light, Kinlin XR-300, DT R450... never had a problem and I can mount them by hand without lever. Something I cannot say about other brands.

veloduffer
09-20-2011, 12:35 PM
That's strange because Conti's are the easiest tires to mount for me. On Open Pro, Bontrager Race Light, Kinlin XR-300, DT R450... never had a problem and I can mount them by hand without lever. Something I cannot say about other brands.

You must have received an batch of Contis that are outliers. :p Second only to Michelins in difficulty to install and pull off. And on Campy rims (before 2010), you need the Jaws of Life to put and pry them om/off. :crap:

Hank Scorpio
09-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I had a bit of trouble mounting my Contis on Zondas but I attributed it to the two way fit system. By far the hardest to mount were a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo DD. I have used the Green Vitt as my winter training tire for the past two seasons and they have held up well. The rubber tends to cut easily but I havent had a problem with flats so far.

dhoff
09-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I have the same problem and my last pair of the black ones on my Legend now. As a result, the Meivici is running on Vredstein Fortezza tires. I am surprised that I like them as much as I do. They are not Vittoria's but they are a hell of a lot better than anything else I have ridden in these sizes and they do not seem to get flats, like ever.

hokoman
09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Rg, I bought a green set from a gb from this forum in june. I paid $111 for a set, let me know if you want them. I have only ridden my tandem the past couple of months... don't see these going on a bike anytime soon.