PDA

View Full Version : Is my Campy shifter worn out?

CNY rider
09-19-2011, 08:11 AM
I can't find this exact symptom in prior threads so here goes.
MY right hand Campy shifter, Centaur 10 speed, about 5 years old, is acting "funny".
It shifts up the cassette (12 to 25) just fine.
When I come back down the cassette (25 to 12) it goes one or two gears individually then with one shift jumps 4 or more.

I have checked the cable and don't find any friction or hanging up.
I have checked the cassette. Lockring tight. Spacers in proper configuration.

Is this shifter in need of servicing or is there something else I may be missing?

Thanks.

Mud
09-19-2011, 08:17 AM
I get mine redone after 3 years.

Bruce

Ken Robb
09-19-2011, 08:36 AM
you can send it to our pal "Old Potatoe" in Boulder for a quick rebuild.

weiwentg
09-19-2011, 09:09 AM
or you can have oldpotato's shop send you the springs. Not hard to do. There are videos on Youtube, and I've found Probikekit's to be the most useful for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nr35wCxlFs

oldpotatoe
09-19-2011, 10:40 AM
I can't find this exact symptom in prior threads so here goes.
MY right hand Campy shifter, Centaur 10 speed, about 5 years old, is acting "funny".
It shifts up the cassette (12 to 25) just fine.
When I come back down the cassette (25 to 12) it goes one or two gears individually then with one shift jumps 4 or more.

I have checked the cable and don't find any friction or hanging up.
I have checked the cassette. Lockring tight. Spacers in proper configuration.

Is this shifter in need of servicing or is there something else I may be missing?

Thanks.

Broken spring carrier, either the post or it's split..Probably feels soft, vague as well. Sent it to me for a one day turn artound.

$40 labor, 'Ultra' spring carrier and springs-$25.

Dave
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Broken spring carrier, either the post or it's split..Probably feels soft, vague as well. Sent it to me for a one day turn artound.

$40 labor, 'Ultra' spring carrier and springs-$25.

That's a bargain for anyone who's never done one of these repairs. It's not hard the second or third time, but the first will have you pulling your hair out.

CNY rider
09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone.
I will live with it for another month or two and only commute on that bike.
Then it comes off the road for winter, I will take it all apart and send the shifter on a western holiday.