PDA

View Full Version : Single and titanium weekend

Jack Brunk
09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Fantastic material, great builders and about 85 miles with only one gear.
SWEET!

GuyGadois
09-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Cool looking bikes and fork, Jack. I know Cannondale offered those mono fork thingies years ago but I haven't seen one for a while. I always thought that the stress on the axel wasn't good. Is there an advantage to the mono fork or is it just more of a novelty?

GG

bigflax925
09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
That Black Sheep is AWESOME!

I'm pretty sure that the Cannondale Lefty is still viable and still being made. I've never ridden one so can not speak to the ride qualities, but they are pretty cool looking.

AngryScientist
09-19-2011, 10:03 AM
your bikes are an inspiration Jack. love that fixed Ti bike!

rwsaunders
09-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Hey Jack, if funds are so tight that you're still running a single speed on your bikes, I can lend you a drivetrain and some cassettes until you get back on your feet... :cool:

tuscanyswe
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Great looking bikes!

Do you still reach for the levers when you approach a hill on the new one :)? My fingers were twitching for atleast a couple of weeks when riding my first fixed.

What does the hampsten weigh in at? I was suprised at how little weight one save going with a track setup instead of gears when you still use brakes.

Fixed
09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
very very nice taste jack sama
cheers

Dave B
09-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Cool looking bikes and fork, Jack. I know Cannondale offered those mono fork thingies years ago but I haven't seen one for a while. I always thought that the stress on the axel wasn't good. Is there an advantage to the mono fork or is it just more of a novelty?

GG

The lefty is a fantastic design. Think about the 9mm skewers we use on mtbs and road bikes. Yes mtbs have gone to 15 and 20mm axels, but a lefty axel is wider then a quarter right by the fork and tapers down to the diameter of a dime. VERY stiff and secure.

The fork also compresses on all sorts of needle bearings making it super smooth, much more so then on a dual leg fork. Yeah it looks odd, but there are few if any that are as plush and stiff. Sure there are draw backs such as fork mounted hauling, but there are adapters for this.

I would put a left on every mtb I own...if I could swing it.

Jack Brunk
09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys and I hope you all had a great weekend of riding.

Hampsten weighed in at 13 pounds. I went with the upgraded butted titanium which I'm sure helped keep the weight down a tad. Wheels also made a difference at 1200 grams. Bike is in the back of the Titan waiting for work to end. I love the ride.
Pres pretty much summed up the lefty fork.

Dave B
09-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I still want to see pics of the Titan!

I finally got a car, but it sure isn't a Titan! Bummer

spamjoshua
09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I mean, I need to ride more, eat less, enjoy lighter beers...

But my Ti Fixie is closer to 19 pounds so yes, I am jealous. :)

Cheers,
Joshua

Jack Brunk
09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
I mean, I need to ride more, eat less, enjoy lighter beers...

But my Ti Fixie is closer to 19 pounds so yes, I am jealous. :)

Cheers,
Joshua
Joshua,

Thanks for the cages. They made a big difference. I should of had Steve weld the Kings on the frame like my Sheep cages.

Nathanrtaylor
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
What stem/steerer tube combination are you using that you have an Enve stem on a lefty?

Incredibly curious.

Keith A
09-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey is that a geared bike I see hanging in the back? What's that doing there :D

Jack Brunk
09-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Nathan,
Head tube is a new 44mm sized and I'm using a Project321 adapter for the lefty. This allows me to use any stem I want.

Keith,

The BH is one bad ass bike. Only issue now is it may only see part time use now that the Hampsten is rolling.

Got 25 miles in after work on the fixie. It's awesome.

roguedog
09-19-2011, 10:46 PM
i assume that's hampsten ti work (vs erickson), right?

also.. how would you describe the ride in relation to peg, parlee, sv or other rides you've loved? or is it not 1-1 since it's fixed? went to your blog/site to see if you had more in depth ride report and it doa'd on me.

good to see ya out there, tearing it up.

Jack Brunk
09-19-2011, 11:05 PM
roguedog,

In the process of moving the web site to another provider. It gives my IT guy more freedom to do some cool things.

I'm positive that the frame was done in house my Max from 3T. I'll post pics within the week but the guys at Moots should be worried that someone else can lay really sweet beads as well. Since it's fixed it's hard to compare to carbon but I've become a titanium guy since I went hard into the 29er mountain bike side. There's no carbon out there that can give the ride quality that titanium gives. Not even close.

Keith A
09-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Nathan,Keith,

The BH is one bad ass bike. Only issue now is it may only see part time use now that the Hampsten is rolling. When you get the chance, I'd like to hear more about your BH.

crossjunkee
09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I'll post pics within the week but the guys at Moots should be worried that someone else can lay really sweet beads as well.

Eriksen has the best welder under his roof. As a former Moots owner, the frames I've seen lately have not been on par to past frames.