PDA

View Full Version : Are My Conti 4000's Done?

kgrooney
09-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Hello All,

Today after my ride I inspected my tire for cuts, etc. as I usually do and noticed a sliver of side wall, the size of a finger nail, sliced away from the tire exposing the casing underneath.

Can this be reapaired or this tire(front) done?

tiretrax
09-18-2011, 07:05 PM
If you get a flat in that area the next time your ride it, it's done. You might get a few more weeks out of it depending on how much you ride.

stephenmarklay
09-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I personally would stick some rubber glue on it and keep riding it or retire it to my trainer wheels. I ride tires on the trainer until the finally give up.

godfrey1112000
09-18-2011, 07:10 PM
you can "boot" the inside with a patch on the spot,
Conti 4000 are so good why risk your safety if you feel the tire is compromised

put on a new tire no matter what the miles are on the current tire

remember you always ride to be able to ride tomorrow

enjoy the new tire

TimmyB
09-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes and No. Probably not the best thing in the world, but can be boot'd. Park sells "emergency tire boots" that work quite well. As your typical starving college student, I try and get maximum life out of my tires. I've been using one of those on a grand boise that was ripped probably 500mi ago. Still going strong :beer:. In fact I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Like anything, YMMV.

AngryScientist
09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
sidewall problems can be a pain, and lead to catastrophic blowout, sometimes at the worst times, you may hit a pothole and blow out the tire, or you may not. i wouldnt ride a tire with an obviously compromised sidewall, i say retire it to trainer duty.

toaster
09-19-2011, 06:16 AM
If the damage is to the rubber (tread) only and not to the casing then it is fine. The tire is structurally undamaged and yet is more prone to allowing the casing to be exposed to debris which could then compromise it.

stephenmarklay
09-19-2011, 07:17 AM
If the damage is to the rubber (tread) only and not to the casing then it is fine. The tire is structurally undamaged and yet is more prone to allowing the casing to be exposed to debris which could then compromise it.

That was my understanding that it was superficial. If not then for sure trainer duty.

odin99
09-19-2011, 09:08 AM
you're probably fine - as long as the casing shows no signs of damage, it should hold fine.

wtex
09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I've got a 4000s with similar cut, not to the casing -- is there any way to shore up the cut, to keep from getting worse? Cement or otherwise?

bearingpress
09-19-2011, 11:10 AM
a new tire is cheaper than a broken colllar bone. just replace it

Fixed
09-19-2011, 11:13 AM
go to local b.s. buy new tire, donate old tire to wrench at shop
cheers imho

dave thompson
09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I've got a 4000s with similar cut, not to the casing -- is there any way to shore up the cut, to keep from getting worse? Cement or otherwise?
There's a product that I've used for years to repair cuts and nicks on my tires called Freesole. I buy mine at a shoe repair shop but it's also available on Amazon. It works very well, far better than the 'shoegoo' type products. Freesole cures when exposed to air so the contents tube needs to be refrigerated when not being used and warmed up to room temp before use. I store mine in a plastic ziploc bag in my fridge. I've used Freesole on repairs both inside and outside of the tires.
http://www.mcnett.com/Freesole-Urethane-Formula-Shoe-Repair-P186.aspx

kgrooney
09-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Everyone's response has been appreicated.