PDA

View Full Version : Am I cheating?

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-18-2011, 10:18 AM
On my usual very hilly ride, there are a few very long, very steep hills. I ride right at daybreak, I'm a morning person, and traffic is almost non-exisitent. On the longest, steepest hill I tend to zig zag from one side of the road to the other. Does this make the climb any easier? I'm still as wasted as when I keep a straight line. Is it psychological mind games that makes me think it's easier, or is it, in fact, cheating?. I've done this the last three rides up the same hill.

rugbysecondrow
09-18-2011, 10:24 AM
On my usual very hilly ride, there are a few very long, very steep hills. I ride right at daybreak, I'm a morning person, and traffic is almost non-exisitent. On the longest, steepest hill I tend to zig zag from one side of the road to the other. Does this make the climb any easier? I'm still as wasted as when I keep a straight line. Is it psychological mind games that makes me think it's easier, or is it, in fact, cheating?. I've done this the last three rides up the same hill.

Doing the switch back makes it easier in one respect being the steepness of the hill is being mitigated, it makes it harder in that you are lengthening the length and then the duration of the climb. Each rider can determine which is better for them. I am a straight ahead, power through it type, others might not be.

martinrjensen
09-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes, it definitely makes the climb easier. If you were cheating, it would only be yourself so only you can answer that question. If you simply can't make it up the hill in a straight line, or you don't want to, then no you are not cheating.

If you bet me that you could make it to the top of the hill then zigzagged up the,you still wouldn't be cheating (unless that was stipulated first) but I doubt if I would bet with you again...

tuscanyswe
09-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Its only cheating if you think so..

By riding from side to side you gain less altitude per lenght ridden so the hill becomes less steap. Obviously the hill gets longer by doing this so its a preference thing i guess. Wich is faster is proabably very individual and determined by alot of factors.

chuckroast
09-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Lengthening the distance has the same practical effect as shifting to a lower gear so therefore not cheating.

I wonder if it is possible to measure the impact of momentum loss from the switchback turns?

mandasol
09-18-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm not an expert at geometry, but when you're going from side to side I believe what you're doing is increasing the distance it takes to go from one point of elevation to another which effectively reduces the grade/slope.

Dekonick
09-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Did you get to the top on your own power?

rwsaunders
09-18-2011, 11:12 AM
No motor on the bike = no cheating. :cool:

Stan Lee
09-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree- my feeling is if you are doing the climb, you are doing the climb. In no time you will be ridding straight up it and then you will be shifting into a harder gear and powering up it! Good work! :beer:

Louis
09-18-2011, 11:35 AM
You "cheat" only if you wait at the bottom for a pick-up truck and have them give you a lift to the top.

And even then, you are only cheating yourself.

d_man16
09-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Newton is on your side my friend.....U=mgh displacement is not a factor,

So zig zag on

~D

birdo
09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
For future reference, this is called "mailman-ing" or "doing the mailman"

flydhest
09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
If by cheating you mean mentioning it here, then yes. The official rules are that you do whatever it takes and then when talking about climbs with cycling buddies (and this forum counts) you lie about it and exaggerate your accomplishments.

Sheesh. Some people don't know anything.

rice rocket
09-18-2011, 12:13 PM
"doing the mailman"

I don't know where you're from, but doing the mailman means doing the mailman, and is grounds for divorce. In this case, yes, it is cheating. ;)

Skrawny
09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Back in the days of the San Francisco Grand Prix the pro men had to climb the Filmore Hill 9 times. I saw a lot of them zig-zaging up the hill during the race, for which they did not get DQ'ed.

(I miss that race)

-s

CPP
09-18-2011, 12:23 PM
If YOU decide that you are cheating, be prepared to get a call from the UCI banning you for 2 years. But, after your suspension, you can always Zig Zag with a smaller team, win a major tour, and then Zig Zag with a super team. Or, you could also get a job as a director sportive or a team manager for a Pro Tour Team. Then you could go on and on about your anti Zig Zag team policy.
After all is said and done, no real harm done with your Zig Zag

biker72
09-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I think switching from side to side on a hill is no different than changing to an easier gear.

You've made the hill longer but easier by switching side to side.
Changing gears will make the hill easier to climb but you have more pedal strokes.

chismog
09-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I immediately thought of the SF GP as well. Once I saw the pros serpentine up those hills in the middle of a race, I knew it wasn't cheating- just survival.

victoryfactory
09-18-2011, 02:09 PM
For future reference, this is called "mailman-ing" or "doing the mailman"

We call it the "paperboy" around here

Whatever gets you up the hill...
I stop every so often and intently examine my rear wheel.
Then I get out the phone and pretend I'm getting a really important call.
Then I hold it up to my face like I'm taking a really important photo.

Onno
09-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Certainly not cheating. Definitely slower.

birdo
09-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't know where you're from, but doing the mailman means doing the mailman, and is grounds for divorce. In this case, yes, it is cheating. ;)

But you do know where I'm from, and it's not cheating if your wife is doing the mailman as well. Actually, now that I think about it you should be pretty ashamed if your wife is riding straight up a hill and you have to mailman...

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Never knew mailmen/women got so much action . And they say mikmen get it all. Who knew.

FlashUNC
09-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Nothing wrong with tacking up the climb to get there.

Kines
09-18-2011, 03:40 PM
We call it the "paperboy" around here

Whatever gets you up the hill...
I stop every so often and intently examine my rear wheel.
Then I get out the phone and pretend I'm getting a really important call.
Then I hold it up to my face like I'm taking a really important photo.

+1 on the paperboy terminology. We'll even occasionally pretend to throw a paper into the yard at each switchback for our amusement. Seems to take a little of the burn out of the climb, in the same manner that smiling releases endorphins, I guess...

KN

mike p
09-18-2011, 05:37 PM
The paper boy shuffle ( or weave ) does indeed make the hill easier and no it's not cheating as it also makes the hill longer.

Mike

toaster
09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Mailman or paperboy whatever delivers you to the top.

palincss
09-18-2011, 07:00 PM

It certainly makes the grade less - physics, not psychology.

As for "cheating" - the only rules that apply are traffic rules. Tacking be damned, crossing the double yellow is always wrong; also, do this in the wrong place and it could easily lead to a very bad accident.

fiamme red
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
It certainly makes the grade less - physics, not psychology.

As for "cheating" - the only rules that apply are traffic rules. Tacking be damned, crossing the double yellow is always wrong; also, do this in the wrong place and it could easily lead to a very bad accident.Yes, before you do it, make sure that your sight lines are good, so that you don't suddenly find yourself facing a car.

I do it occasionally, on steep hills, when I run out of gears.

I call it "serpentine" climbing. When someone I'm riding with does it, I yell in my best Peter Falk voice, "Serpentine, Shelly, serpentine!"