Bicycle related tools. 'Fess up:
Favorite -
Most often used -
Beautiful -
A tool other people borrow from you the most -
A tool you wish you had -
Oldest bicycle Tool -
=====================================
Favorite - Snap On NM torque wrench (mirror polish, precision made and comes in a slick case)

Most often used - 5mm ball end allen key (wiha http://www.wihatools.com/)

Beautiful - Chris King hub overhaul tool (too darn nice looking to hide in a box)

A tool other people borrow from you the most - BB tools

A tool you wish you had - BB/HT facing tools.

Oldest bicycle tool - Campy T

Bruce K
02-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Favorite - Pedros beer wrench - also makes a great gift to cycling freinds

Most often used - 3-way hex wrench

Beautiful - Sears inch pound torque wrench

Most borrowed - floor pump (in the parking lot of most rides)

Tool I wish I had - none - I have the tools to do the work I am comfortable doing

Oldest - Alien mulit tool - I've only been riding for 4 years

gaxi
02-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Favorite - Park Tool Spoke Wrench
Most often used - 5 mm ball end allen key
Beautiful - Syntace torque tool
Most borrowed - bearing cup press built by a friend of mine
Tool I wish I had - the legendary Campy toolbox
Oldest - cone wrenches from Shimano

Bruce K
02-12-2004, 11:59 AM
in my list answers -

I don't borrow the pump it is the one tool most borrowed from me.

I don't borrow tools for bikes. If I don't have the tool thenI am probably not comfortable doing that particular piece of work.

BK

mfb1001
02-13-2004, 11:45 AM
i'm looking at sale of tools on performance's website, what is the big diff between park tools and spin dr? other then the price. spin dr comes from taiwan, i think, and park is home grown.:confused:

thanks
mike

Bruce K
02-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Mike;

I think you pretty well hit it on the head.

Spin Dr. is Performance's "store brand" I beleive, while Park is a tool specific company.

I personally have only bought either Pedro's or Park tools for my bike tools. I have always felt that with tools you DO get what you pay for to a large degree.

A bad tool can ruin whatever it is you are working on so I tend to "invest" in my tools.

I hope that helps,

BK

Tony Prioli
02-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Using the Crest ultrasonic cleaner now in the shop. Works great, and allows me to prep the bike for reassembly. We all joke about it, and call it the "cleaning machine", the nicer the part, the better it looks when it comes out.

Not wearing gloves in a safety clean tank, ever again.

New digital, 1/4 inch programable torque wrench. Sure beats winding up the torque spec to all the different specs. Just hit memory, and pick the torque. New from snap on.

Just got the t30 torks bit, and driver for my 1/4 inch ratchet, fsa, and campy record chainring bolts are not busting my nuckles any more.
Tony

Too Tall
02-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Tony, what is a Crest ultrasonic cleaner?

10-4 on torx bits for the torque wrench. Just when I think I have a good "hand" feel for a fastener I have to deal with (can you believe) 130nm on SRM crank arm bolts...3 of em'. I'd never have done it by feel. Do you have any snapon 1/4 torque wrench specific hex heads? They have very precise shoulders so an exact fit. VERY freakin' pricey though. A real pleasure to use.

Found a new old tool: VAR third hand for brakes from about 1968.

Tony Prioli
02-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Crest ultrasonic, is a waterbased detergent cleaner, that uses heat, and sound waves to aggitage the parts clean. It has 4 tanks, one clean tank, one rinse tank, a oil tank, and dry tank. Total process takes three minutes in each tank. Twice in each if it is soiled badly. Most road bikes clean in one cycle. Check out the web site crestultrasonic.com Police dept.. uses it to clean weapons. Dentist for teath. etc. It is truly the wave of the present, and future.

I don't scrub delicate parts with china bristles anymore. No scratches.

The snap on bike built by orange county choppers is in town this week, can't wait to see it.

Tony

Too Tall
02-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Tony, you are an ANIMAL. That cleaner is a great suggestion I must have it. Drool.

Yeah, I watch OCC on satellite. Dang that looks like fun. I rode an 86 boxer (all black) for a long time and had a K75 for 4 yrs. Both super civilized german machinas. The Harley guys thought I was Otay because we both rode such fine machines. I've hung it up, wife had reoccuring nightmares about me getting crushed. but the bicycle riding is ok????? Go figure. Enjoy. Send photos.

Tony Prioli
02-14-2004, 02:05 PM
I have a 2000 buell x-1 lightning. Purchased new in late 1999. Don't ride it too often, with wife, and 21 month old son.

Mann!! I love the csi in the picture gallerie. I believe russ is the owner. Says florida, Never seen it before, I live west of tampa.