PDA

View Full Version : sour helmets

d_douglas
09-18-2011, 06:30 AM
So, yesterday, I m out trail riding in the rain and I suddenly feel like I have blood (or something not quite right) in my mouth. After a few minutes of spitting, I realize that it is the funky, rank sweat trapped in my helmet pads that is getting washed out by the rain and dripping down my face into my mouth. Needless to say, disgusting.

So, are there ways to clean helmets? The pads are kinda integrated, so I can't just remove them (easily) like the olden days. I have two helmets, both of which are functional and not fancy - mid range Giro and a mid range Bell.

I am sure that this is justification for buying a fancy new helmet, but first off, what can I do to clean these things so they aren't such a health hazard?

Gothard
09-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Step in the shower with the helmet after a ride and rinse the pads.
No worse than getting caught in a rainfall, and removes the sweat from the pads effectively.

saab2000
09-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Get a helmet with removable pads.... I have a few Specialized helmets and bought a few extra pad sets. They are velcro'd in place and come out easily. I wash mine by hand every few rides.

As to the straps? An old toothbrush in the sink with some soap and water, hang dry over night and you're back in business with a much less disgusting helmet.

tele
09-18-2011, 07:34 AM
1) i throw my helmet on a boot dryer after every ride and seems to help a lot

2) ride with mouth closed

d_douglas
09-18-2011, 07:47 AM
1) i throw my helmet on a boot dryer after every ride and seems to help a lot

2) ride with mouth closed

Funny stuff! Yes, I would've done that, but I was chasing a fast friend on his cx bike - I was gasping for air!

CNY rider
09-18-2011, 07:58 AM
In my case I have had it stream down into my eyes. Burns like fire. Like you just touched your eye after slicing jalapenos.
I just gently spray the inside with the garden hose on a dry day outside and let it air dry.
Seems to carry off enough of the accumulated salts.

BobC
09-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Depends on the helmet.

My older ones -- top rack of the dishwasher.

My really nice one I scrub out in the kitchen sink with dishwasing soap and a scrub pad. Let dry in the sun.

I recommend removing the pads periodically, put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the laundry machine.

mandasol
09-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I hose down my helmet thoroughly after EVERY ride before the sweat has time to dry. Every few weeks or so I'll scrub it down with soap and rinse (whole helmet - pads, straps and all). I like to get a new helmet every year or two, as well.

bzbvh5
09-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I just rinsed mine under the shower. We'll see if that helps.

d_douglas
09-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I just rinsed mine under the shower. We'll see if that helps.

love the quote in your Avatar! My 6 week old's name is Super-Magnus!

All this talk about the ease of cleaning helmets is making me feel really stupid and unhygienic ;)

giverdada
09-18-2011, 06:26 PM
in a large stainless steel mixing bowl:

add: 1 Funky Helmet
1 cap of Assos (or similar) sport wash
enough water to cover (place upside down and make sure straps are submerged - helmets float)

let sit.

drink beer.
clean house.
vacuum stairs.
clean bike.
play with children.

24 hours later: hang to dry.
13-18 hours later: ride hard and smell great.
:beer:

ergott
09-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Dude, you have to clean your helmet all the time. I hope you guys don't wear your bibs more than once before washing.

A simple rinse after every ride goes a long way. I hang it in the boiler room at night so my helmet is ready the next day.

:beer:

konstantkarma
09-18-2011, 08:10 PM
I fill a bathroom sink with hot water, add some antibacterial hand soap float the helmet, straps down....hang to dry.