PDA

View Full Version : Campy brakes question

akelman
09-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I typically run 10-speed-era Record brakes on my bikes. But I just put a pair of Chorus skeletons on my DeSalvo. After doing so, I learned that the brake carriers (I don't even know if that's what they're actually called) aren't interchangeable with the older Record stuff. Does that seem right? Or was I doing something stupid (always possible, I assure you)? And if that is right, are the carriers available for sale? I'd like to have one set of carriers with carbon-specific pads and another set with standard pads.

Thanks.

happycampyer
09-17-2011, 09:42 PM
If the brakes are the 2011 version, the holders have been redesigned. There was a recent discussion about the interchangeability of pads:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=96622

akelman
09-17-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't think these are 2011s. They're silver alloy Chorus skeletons, and I bought them long ago enough that I'd be surprised if they were this year's model. But then again, I have no idea. Regardless, it certainly does seem like the carriers (or pad holders, if you prefer) are different from the older Record and Chorus stuff that I have floating around in my shed. This is one of the many moments when I find myself wishing that one of my local LBSs had any expertise in Campy parts. Oh well.

kramnnim
09-17-2011, 09:52 PM
My silver Chorus calipers came with holders that appear to be the same as my older Record, but the bolts are Torx rather than Allen...

happycampyer
09-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Another possibility that I didn't mention because I figured it was too remote is that Campy changed designs in 2000. The pre-2000 pads were straight.

Perhaps oldpotatoe or Dave or other Campy expert will chime in, but afaik the holders were the same from 2000 - 2010.

akelman
09-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Perhaps oldpotatoe or Dave or other Campy expert will chime in, but afaik the holders were the same from 2000 - 2010.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe I'd better post a picture of what I've got. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

oldpotatoe
09-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Another possibility that I didn't mention because I figured it was too remote is that Campy changed designs in 2000. The pre-2000 pads were straight.

Pads are interchangable from 2000 thru 2010 brakes...any pad into any holder.
New pads have a slot for the wee clip in the holder but you can put new slotted pads into old holders. OR get some Tektro holders/pads, use those for the carbon rim pads and swap the whole mess.