PDA

View Full Version : "Share the Road" jerseys

Skrawny
09-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted.

Some interesting jerseys here:

http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/?utm_source=STRCycling2855&utm_medium=STRCycling2855&utm_campaign=STRCycling2855

-s

dekindy
09-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I am seeing these and other versions often on organized rides.

Steevo
09-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Nice idea, but I think some anti-social motorists would read those messages as "Hit Me".

A few years ago a good friend and cycling buddy was hit and killed by a motorist. His widow put together a wonderful tribute jersey for us to wear at the following year's charity ride his memory. The jersey really is beautiful - great likeness of our friend, etc., except for the large bold wording on the back saying, "Impaired Drivers Kill". I wore the jersey at the charity ride with others in the same jersey, but I don't feel comfortable wearing that message on my back while riding solo.

Skrawny
09-17-2011, 07:45 PM
yeah, some are a little too confrontational for me, but I like some of the others
-s

AngryScientist
09-17-2011, 07:47 PM
i personally do not care for jerseys like that. they just wont bring a good reaction out of any of the drivers they are supposedly "speaking to". it's not like anyone reads a "share the damned road" jersey and thinks: "yea, i should share the road"...

snah
09-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I do like the evolution jersey.

Skrawny
09-17-2011, 07:51 PM

my fav too

cmg
09-17-2011, 08:41 PM
i like the "I'm a taxpayer" jersey. i have the "don't run me over" jersey, drivers like it unless i'm in the way or running a light...

emckee1
09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
How about a jersey that says something like, " I'm a Father", or "I'm Someone's Son", or "I'm Someone's Dad". I think motorists often see cyclists as simply nuisances or objects that slow them down rather than real people. One of these jerseys might remind them that that cyclist is a living, breathing person and not an inanimate object.

Climb01742
09-18-2011, 06:00 AM
How about a jersey that says something like, " I'm a Father", or "I'm Someone's Son", or "I'm Someone's Dad". I think motorists often see cyclists as simply nuisances or objects that slow them down rather than real people. One of these jerseys might remind them that that cyclist is a living, breathing person and not an inanimate object.

this is spooky because i've had that exact idea too, right down to the wording, because i agree that often, drivers see cyclists or runners as just an object or a shape that is in their way. on long rides, when i've had lots of time to think about it, i've wondered what the most effective wording might be. since readability is key, perhaps shorter is better:

Someone's
Father

Someone's
Daughter

Someone's
Husband

Someone's
Love

then i've tried to think, for the sake of practicality and lower upfront costs, is there a single phrase that could cover all riders that could remind drivers that we're people, not objects. the best i've thought of is:

Human
Inside

the tough thing about a cycling jersey or vest or jacket is getting readability. think of all the angles and positions our back is in during a ride. couple that with the speed of drivers. type size and position on the jersey is a challenge. i've tried to think of a symbol or a single word but nothing has felt right yet. but i think the 'intersection' of drivers and riders out on the road is one that could use some help. whether_any_message could get through to some drivers is also something i ponder. it's cool, tho, that others have thought about this too.

Elefantino
09-18-2011, 07:50 AM
That'd get me run over by a fellow Southerner who is anti-Darwin.

Hawker
09-18-2011, 08:41 AM
I would think the "Don't Run Me Over" jersey would elicit a chuckle from most drivers...unless you're running a red light or similar.

rustychain
09-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Driver tend to go were they are looking. I would rather them not be trying to read what's on my back.

avalonracing
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, many of those designs are asking for trouble.
I also think that it is interesting that he has this page on the site
http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/cycling-jerseys/print
that was inspired by an altercation with a motorist in the town where I live and ride. After riding in this area for 20 years I'm not very surprised.

Kontact
09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I prefer jerseys that demand that motorists free Tibet.

Why haven't they freed Tibet, yet?

(Preachy slogans don't make positive changes in behavior.)

avalonracing
09-18-2011, 05:22 PM

They are still trying... What do you think they are all texting about?

toaster
09-18-2011, 06:36 PM

(Preachy slogans don't make positive changes in behavior.)

Agreed. People never like to be preached to, lectured at, singled out, or looked at as being part of the problem.

It's like bicyclists and pedestrians both have a legitimate concern over texting and cell phone using drivers but just try pointing out the offending driver's behavior and see what happens. They are most likely going to respond negatively at the moment they're doing yet they would agree that it's a problem if asked when they're not doing it.

flydhest
09-18-2011, 06:43 PM
They are still trying... What do you think they are all texting about?

Avalon, baby. For that post, absolutely let me know when you're down in DC next. You get a beer.

avalonracing
09-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Avalon, baby. For that post, absolutely let me know when you're down in DC next. You get a beer.

Thanks... Or let me know when you make it out to Ellicott City and I'll buy you an espresso and we'll head out for a ride. :beer:

kenw
09-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I remember the Colorado Cyclist jersey from some years ago with a clinched
fist/raised middle finger. Thot that was asking for trouble.