PDA

View Full Version : Maiden voyage new Hampsten 9/17

Jack Brunk
09-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Bike looks great in person. Shop guys picked the orange wrap which looks really cool. Doing a 30 mile shake down ride tomorrow. Forgot my camera at work so this pic will have to do until Monday. Weighed in at 13 pounds even.

Peter B
09-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Beautiful Jack!

Let me know when you decide to sell.

P

Jack Brunk
09-16-2011, 11:22 PM
LOL!

I'm dying for a Pegoretti Thelonius Monk Marcelo 54cm with full Super Record 11 build. My Ti Black Sheep rigid 29er may be on the market soon. The Hampsten will have to wait in the garage. Should be fun.

Peter B
09-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I fit all your *downsize* rigs Jack. Pm here first. Have cash, will travel!

Seriously,

I hope you find a keeper in these!

P

roguedog
09-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Finally!! Been waiting for your report. Hampsten is def on my list. Would love to hear your thoughts compared to other rides you've had (Peg, Parlee, etc)

Do you just get curious about a bike and try it out for chuckles or is there something that you're looking for in a bike that you haven't found yet..? Jus curious.. I guess if I could afford I'd be a chronic bike dater too...

san
09-17-2011, 12:24 AM
that thing is a beauty!

Jack Brunk
09-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Finally!! Been waiting for your report. Hampsten is def on my list. Would love to hear your thoughts compared to other rides you've had (Peg, Parlee, etc)

Do you just get curious about a bike and try it out for chuckles or is there something that you're looking for in a bike that you haven't found yet..? Jus curious.. I guess if I could afford I'd be a chronic bike dater too...
Took a little longer because I ordered the wrong size BB. Needed a 119mm wood bb.
I've gotten way pass trying frames out for chuckles. I hope to continue to fine tune what I like in a bike and find the perfect rig. Not sure it will happen but it's been fun so far. I'm really excited to try the Ergott wheels. Eric makes a world class wheel.

Smiley
09-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Sir Brunk who was the lucky guy that ended up buying your Ti Serotta fixee as that bike and this bike look great. Please size UP next time and help a forumite out :)

ericspin
09-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Cannot remember from your earlier posts but is this fixed or SS? And what gearing are you running. Hot rig. I really do love the look of a road bike without derailleurs. And isn't it amazing how much lighter they are? Very cool build.

AngryScientist
09-17-2011, 08:14 AM
came out great Jack. i know you were debating cranksets, that's the WI crank you settled on right?

spamjoshua
09-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Looking forward to a ride report.

phcollard
09-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Very nice ride. I love Hampsten's. Steve does it right :)

Can't wait for your ride report!

don'TreadOnMe
09-17-2011, 12:11 PM
XCR?
And what about those wheels?
Phil laced to Enve? White freewheel?
120 spacing out back?
questions...c'mon man, pony up!
:-)

Lastly, how was the 1st ride?
(I'd love to hear more, b/c I'd love to have that bike!)

Pete Serotta
09-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Jack, thanks for posting a picture. It looks very good and I am anxious to here about the ride.

Hope the weekend is going nicely, we have rain but we need it.

PETE

Stan Lee
09-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Great looking bike- we've had a couple of Hampstens go through the shop and that's as good as it gets!

SpeedyChix
09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
LOL!

I'm dying for a Pegoretti Thelonius Monk Marcelo 54cm with full Super Record 11 build. My Ti Black Sheep rigid 29er may be on the market soon. The Hampsten will have to wait in the garage. Should be fun.

Very nice! Now if you could just shrink the Black Sheep...

Jack Brunk
09-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks folks for the kind words.

Here's the scoop.

Running a 44 Sugino Zen Racing chain ring with Sugino 75 cranks. In the rear I'm using a Phil Wood 19 tooth track cog and on the flip side using a White Industries 21 tooth freewheel. I need to go down one tooth to a 18.
Wheels were custom built by Ergott Wheels with Paul flip hub rear and Paul front hub. Rims are Enve 25's.

First ride today consisted of 47 rolling miles all in the fixed mode. Overall impression is really simple math. When you have world class builder/designer then add world class built wheels then again add exceptional components what do you get? A world class riding bicycle. I couldn't be more jazzed.
Thanks go out to both Steve Hampsten and Eric G. for providing a truly outstanding bike.

saab2000
09-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Awesome!

Single speeds rock. Back to the basics and all.

I love it!

phcollard
09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
First ride today consisted of 47 rolling miles all in the fixed mode. Overall impression is really simple math. When you have world class builder/designer then add world class built wheels then again add exceptional components what do you get? A world class riding bicycle. I couldn't be more jazzed.
Thanks go out to both Steve Hampsten and Eric G. for providing a truly outstanding bike.

Thanks for sharing Jack. Looks like a lot of fun and a great ride!

I want a SS Hampsten now :D

tuscanyswe
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Looks like a very nice ride but we are going to need alot more pics when you get the chance.

Ive fallen out of love with bikes without gears. Riding them that is, not looking at them ;) Most are very beautifull with the clean lines. Your do not seem to be an exception!

wrestlr
09-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Saw it with my own eyes in person today and it is the real deal. Jack knocked it out of the park pulling together a bit of the best with this one!
-Mike

dekindy
09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I have put several components of color on my naked Legend. The color really does not matter. I just think it looks odd to have only one component that is an accent color. But if you like it, then it does not matter. Just my 2 cents.

For instance I have red Handlebra tape, cables, and saddle to complement my red decals. If my headset ever wears out I will get a red one and maybe add a red seat post clamp at the same time. I am currently contemplating red valve stems and headset spacers, cap, and screw. My wheels also have red in the decals.

Jack Brunk
09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Pole pictures this coming week but until then a droid phone pic spread.

bironi
09-17-2011, 07:37 PM
beautiful, clean bike. :beer:

AngryScientist
09-17-2011, 08:51 PM
inspirational bike Jack. someday i'll own something exactly like this. the more the time goes by, the more i find myself on my fixed gear bike over the geared bikes, Ti seems like a no brainer.

beautiful bike, ride her in good health. :beer:

Keith A
09-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Love it! Jack's bikes always look proper!

happycampyer
09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Another fine specimen, Jack! Ride it in good health!

Jack Brunk
09-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys!

professor plum
09-18-2011, 03:32 AM
wow. just wow. seriously enjoi that dude. as you keep riding, let us know your thoughts. like everything else on that bike, the zen chainwheel is a nice piece of hardware.

hampco
09-18-2011, 08:04 AM
nice!

some Toshi leather tape would look nice when the orange wears out...