PDA

View Full Version : Headset Question

msl819
09-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I have a King inset headset. Does anyone have any idea what the torque should be on the top cap bolt? Should the top cap bolt hold the headset together or just enough pressure to hold in place while the stem bolts actually provide the holding power? I feel like I should know this, but I dont. Thanks guys.

Louis
09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Should the top cap bolt hold the headset together or just enough pressure to hold in place while the stem bolts actually provide the holding power?

This is correct. Once the stem bolts are tight the top bolt just holds the cap in place.

msl819
09-16-2011, 08:34 PM
is putting too much torque in the top cap bolt bad for the bearings? seems like it would be.

dave thompson
09-16-2011, 08:40 PM
is putting too much torque in the top cap bolt bad for the bearings? seems like it would be.
The top cap is there only to hold everything together until the stem is tightened. You would tighten the top cap just enough to eliminate any for/aft fork movement (when the front brake is held and the bike is rocked back and forth). If you over-tighten the top cap, the fork will not pivot freely. Once that is done and the stem is tightened properly, you could remove the top cap entirely as it is now only decorative; not needed.

msl819
09-16-2011, 08:42 PM
thanks guys.