PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Question - Converting Al wheels to Carbon

dd74
09-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I have a set of aluminum wheels I'm thinking of converting to carbon. Why? Because the wheelset as is, is sort of flexy and secondly, because I want a set of wheels similar to the Reynolds MV32 carbon wheels, which I understand are phenomenal. I already have White industry hubs, 22/28 I believe they are on the wheels I would like to convert. But what I'd like are carbon rims, and some really light, but strong spokes.

What are my options, if any, for rims similar to the Reynolds MV32 carbons and some nice lighter, but stronger spokes? Can this be done?

Thanks, all.

ergott
09-16-2011, 04:42 PM
I've built up Reynolds 32mm rims 24/28 as well as Enve 45mm and 25mm. The hubs you have would make for a nice wheelset. These rims are available to people with accounts with those companies.

Spoke choice would depend on your weight, but unless you were one the heavier side you could use CX-Rays possibly with a heavier gauge spoke for the right side of the rear wheel.

dd74
09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
I've built up Reynolds 32mm rims 24/28 as well as Enve 45mm and 25mm. The hubs you have would make for a nice wheelset. These rims are available to people with accounts with those companies.

Spoke choice would depend on your weight, but unless you were one the heavier side you could use CX-Rays possibly with a heavier gauge spoke for the right side of the rear wheel.
Cool, thanks. I'm about 150 lbs, btw. All I want is a no-flex, stiff wheelset.

ergott
09-16-2011, 08:22 PM
@ 150lbs (I'm 155) you could have them built up with all CX-Rays and they would be real solid.