PDA

View Full Version : future of cycling take 2

scooter01
09-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Maybe this will be the future bike, and its from Honda!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/75668.html

And I thought it would be a a Goldwing with pedals, I wonder if you could get a cycle cross tire for the trails?

Chance
09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Great engineering exercise; but what's wrong with walking? And people who can't walk probably can't ride that either. Great technical achievement though.

roguedog
09-16-2011, 09:18 AM
hmm.. cool technology but is starting to remind me of those people transporter things in the Wall-e movie. Yikes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9s7afoYI-M (around 1:07)

achurch
09-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Looks like the same technology. I wonder if they bought it, or replicated it?

Fixed
09-16-2011, 09:29 AM
i would just like a safe bike trail separated by a curb (not a painted line ) from traffic .
cheers

tiretrax
09-16-2011, 09:30 AM
hmm.. cool technology but is starting to remind me of those people transporter things in the Wall-e movie. Yikes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9s7afoYI-M (around 1:07)
that's the first thing that came to mind for me. soon, everyone will look like the people in that movie, too. what's wrong with walking?

think of the drain on the power grid that will be created if this thing becomes ubiquitous.

bagochips3
09-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Great engineering exercise; but what's wrong with walking? And people who can't walk probably can't ride that either. Great technical achievement though.

My thoughts exactly. Curious if they could make it handle stairs at some point.

achurch
09-16-2011, 09:58 AM
The technology that Segway originated was a wheelchair with 4 wheels that the back two wheels could rotate over the front two wheels (switching to become the front) allowing the wheelchair to climb stairs. It could also stand on 2 wheels only (like a segway does) allowing a wheelchair restricted person to "stand up."

Guy who invented it was very cool. Original concept was to "stop trying to make the world wheelchair accessible and instead make wheelchairs world accessible." It could climb stairs, go through regular size doors and move on imperfect surfaces (dirt roads, etc.). He was a local New England guy, New Hampshire I think.

Skrawny
09-16-2011, 10:29 AM

I hope this is intended for people with mobility issues, and not just models too put out to walk. Otherwise I wonder if Honda will come up with a robotic arm that will place food in our mouths for us.

irreverently yours,
-s

Chance
09-16-2011, 10:53 AM
I hope this is intended for people with mobility issues, and not just models too put out to walk. Otherwise I wonder if Honda will come up with a robotic arm that will place food in our mouths for us.

irreverently yours,
-s
Weird. How did the second post end up showing posted by "achurch" instead of "chance"?

Skrawny
09-16-2011, 11:03 AM
How did the second post end up showing posted by "achurch" instead of "chance"?
I originally misquoted then went back and changed it, I guess I forgot to change the author.

malcolm
09-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Wow, now you can go all day and never burn a calorie above your basal metabolic rate.

flydhest
09-16-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-segway,7693/

forrestw
09-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Guy who invented it was very cool. Original concept was to "stop trying to make the world wheelchair accessible and instead make wheelchairs world accessible." It could climb stairs, go through regular size doors and move on imperfect surfaces (dirt roads, etc.). He was a local New England guy, New Hampshire I think.
Dean Kamen, 'is' arguably quite cool, I did some work for DEKA on a medical instrumentation pump and remember thinking they'd rather boxed themselves into a corner / set of assumptions in their design. A friend did some of the Segway control software and has moved into the more preferred arena of being on the R&D staff at DEKA.

I think / thought the Segway was stooooopid and that it's a pity that the original concept doesn't seem to have ever been produced for sale. But then I think the same of 90% of what our 'consumer economy' generates.

Ref the OP, I'd be interested to learn whether Honda is licensing Segway patents or have managed to work around them.

dd74
09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
All I wondered was when those chicks were going to start making out.

BTW, the only thing I need from Honda is their 2.2 turbo diesel engine to be imported into the U.S.

onekgguy
09-16-2011, 05:49 PM
I find the technology fascinating but couldn't help but think of the lyrics from Zager and Evans, In The Year 2525...

In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you...

Kevin g

cmg
09-17-2011, 08:35 AM
didn't the Dialects on Dr. Who start out as human but went mechanical over time?

malcolm
09-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I find the technology fascinating but couldn't help but think of the lyrics from Zager and Evans, In The Year 2525...

In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you...

Kevin g

Man that is a reach back in time. Haven't heard that in 30-40 years

birdo
09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
All I could think of while watching this was Gob from arrested development. Hard to take it seriously when it looks like a parody of itself.