PDA

View Full Version : Fender question and wheel swapping

d.vader123
09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm getting a bike with a tire size of 32mm. I'm getting fenders fitted for that width. Will I be able to swap out tires of larger size easily?

Are all tire size of 32mm (or any size for that matter) equal? I feel that I've read some place that measured tire size and a 32mm from one brand was not the same as another brand. Is that true or did I make that up?

oliver1850
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Apparently tire sizes started getting fudged when companies started using weights as a mechanism for selling tires. Easiest way to make a 25c lighter was to take a 23 and write 25 on it. Someone here probably knows which brands or models run large and small, but I don't.

As to whether you will be able to fit larger than 32s on your bike, you will either have to ask someone with the same set-up, or try some for yourself. If there's a swap meet near you, that's a good place to start. I picked up a near new pair of 32s last winter at a swap for $2.

palincss
09-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm getting a bike with a tire size of 32mm. I'm getting fenders fitted for that width. Will I be able to swap out tires of larger size easily?

Are all tire size of 32mm (or any size for that matter) equal? I feel that I've read some place that measured tire size and a 32mm from one brand was not the same as another brand. Is that true or did I make that up?

32 is no different than any other size. Tires frequently vary from the stated size. There are plenty of tires labeled 25mm that are < 23mm, and some that -- at least, on some rims -- measure 27-28mm. And there are some tires that call themselves 32mm that actually measure 28mm. Grand Bois Cypres 700x30 are about 1.5% wider than Panaracer Pasela 700x32s, in my experience. It also depends on what rims you use.

As to your other question, I think you're asking if you get fenders made to fit 32mm tires and set them for the correct distance from the tires, what happens when you try 35mm (since that's the next size up). Answer: assuming they're all true to size, the best you can hope for is reduced distance between fenders and tires, which may or may not be an issue; and just possibly the fenders may not be wide enough to work at all.

In Honjo fenders, per Velo Orange's web site, the Honjo 43mm fender will fit up to 32mm tires. Honjo 45mm fenders will fit up to 35mm tires. So if you want the option of going to 35mm while still maintaining sufficient clearance you'll need to go with 45mm wide fenders, and if you go to 32mm or narrower tires, you'll have larger than optimal clearance.

Are you sure you actually will have room for fenders and tires that wide? And do you really, truly want to entertain the option of going to 35s? I suggest you forego such thoughts: pick a size and go with that. In this particular case, versatility doesn't buy you much.

I use and can highly recommend the Grand Bois Cypres 30mm as my "in season" tire, switching to unbelted 32mm Paselas as my "off season" tire. The Grand Bois are around $60 ea, the Paselas are on sale for around $20 right now, and between those two all your needs are covered.

EricEstlund
09-16-2011, 11:07 AM
When possible set the fenders up with the largest tire you hope to use. Some frames will allow lots of stand off (fender above the tire), but if the tire is the same width or larger then the fender you'll get quite a bit of spray around the fender. I'd suggest running the widest appropriate fender as close to 10-15mm above the tire as is reasonable.

d.vader123
09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
32 is no different than any other size. Tires frequently vary from the stated size. There are plenty of tires labeled 25mm that are < 23mm, and some that -- at least, on some rims -- measure 27-28mm. And there are some tires that call themselves 32mm that actually measure 28mm. Grand Bois Cypres 700x30 are about 1.5% wider than Panaracer Pasela 700x32s, in my experience. It also depends on what rims you use.

As to your other question, I think you're asking if you get fenders made to fit 32mm tires and set them for the correct distance from the tires, what happens when you try 35mm (since that's the next size up). Answer: assuming they're all true to size, the best you can hope for is reduced distance between fenders and tires, which may or may not be an issue; and just possibly the fenders may not be wide enough to work at all.

In Honjo fenders, per Velo Orange's web site, the Honjo 43mm fender will fit up to 32mm tires. Honjo 45mm fenders will fit up to 35mm tires. So if you want the option of going to 35mm while still maintaining sufficient clearance you'll need to go with 45mm wide fenders, and if you go to 32mm or narrower tires, you'll have larger than optimal clearance.

Are you sure you actually will have room for fenders and tires that wide? And do you really, truly want to entertain the option of going to 35s? I suggest you forego such thoughts: pick a size and go with that. In this particular case, versatility doesn't buy you much.

I use and can highly recommend the Grand Bois Cypres 30mm as my "in season" tire, switching to unbelted 32mm Paselas as my "off season" tire. The Grand Bois are around $60 ea, the Paselas are on sale for around $20 right now, and between those two all your needs are covered.
Thank you! Where are they on sale for $20??!?

palincss
09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I just bought a 700x32 Pasela non-TG tan sidewalls from Bike Nashbar, ordered Sept. 7, arrived last week. $19.99.