PDA

View Full Version : cyclocross question - new fork or new tires

gabbard
07-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Yes, it is July, it is hot, but the cross season is coming.

My question: I have a Rock Lobster aluminum cross frame, steel fork, and currently use the low-end Tufo Pro tires. If I was going to spend some money on the bike, would I be better off

1.) Buying an Alpha Q fork. My club gets them cheap, I would save about .6-.7 pounds, they supposedly have a nice ride, but every now and then I see a broken one.

2.) Buying some of the higher end Tufo tires, probably the Prestige version. I would save a bit of weight on the tires, maybe 1/3 pound, not much, but they supposedly have a nice ride. How nice? Who knows. My current tires are in good shape, but I am in the mood to fancy up my Lobster.

With respect to the tires, I am sold on Tufo's. Other tires probably ride nicer (anybody want to sell me some Dugast tubulars cheap?) but in Colorado, the start of the cross season basically corresponds to the goathead season, so in early to mid season races, you will typically see 1/4 to 1/3 of the field DNF due to flats.

Steve, in Colorado where it is 95 degrees every day

coylifut
07-16-2005, 09:39 AM
I actually prefer the cheaper tufos. They seem to hold up better. one man's opinion

cpg
07-16-2005, 12:05 PM
I say keep the fork. Don't get me started on carbon forks but to suffice, the steel fork is most likely more accurately aligned or at least it could be made so. This will increase performance more than the weight loss will. Also, the steel fork might be a different length than the carbon fork and this would alter the geometry. Go with the tires.

Curt

jt2gt
08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I am trying to make the same decision and am leaning more toward the new fork. Heard great things about the fork.

Not sure you will notice much in upgrading the tires. They roll well anyway.

BTW...I sent you a private message about the fork asking what you finally decided.

Thanks...JT

ada@prorider.or
08-09-2005, 12:52 PM
i would invest more in training ,until you are on top level then every weight counts
you cannot buy performance you have to do that your selve
a golden bike does not make you faster
better bike skill does
also better tuning of tryre pressure and look at profile of tyre on ever course those things make you faster

e-RICHIE
08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
i would invest more in training ,until you are on top level then every weight counts
better bike skill does
also better tuning of tryre pressure and look at profile of tyre on ever course those things make you faster

amen brother!
e-RICHIE©™®

Big Dan
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Is the fork the original steel fork for the Lobster???

If the answer is yes I would leave it alone, maybe go with wheels or tires...

:D

jt2gt
08-09-2005, 01:34 PM
better bike skill does

Of course, of course, we have all heard this before...but isn't that the answer to every upgrade question. No one would ever have any fun upgrading if we stuck by this. ;)