PDA

View Full Version : Silly 10 Spd question

scrooge
07-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Just got Ultegra 10 for my new bike. Can I use a SRAM 9 Speed powerlink chain with it?

Sandy
07-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Doesn't sound like a silly question to me. I know that I can't answer it.

Sandy

dbrk
07-15-2005, 09:12 PM
On ten speed cassettes and drivetrains you gots to use a 10spd chain. I mess with a lot of stuff and am always looking to save money and, much more than that, cheat the corporate machine out of their insistence on our compliance. But in this case, alas, they got us. The 10spd chains are thinner, someone may likely come up with the number but numbers is numbers and that is not the same as how things work, and yet still there's no choice: if you are 10-land you need a 10 chain.

dbrk

Dekonick
07-15-2005, 11:25 PM
on the same note -

anyone been able to use a shimano (or other) 10 sp casette on a campy wheel w campy 10 sp drivetrain?

Somehow $110 for a chorus cassette - up to almost 300 for record ti - seems a bit high. So far I have been using veloce cassette's cuz at $60 on sale at Nashbar (last year) thats the best I have found. Seems to me that if the chains are all interchangable then cassette cog's should also be.. and it would just be a spacer issue no?

think this was talked about awhile back but in the last 6months perhaps there is now a solution?

Hopeful

Dek

scrooge
07-16-2005, 08:07 AM
on the same note -

anyone been able to use a shimano (or other) 10 sp casette on a campy wheel w campy 10 sp drivetrain?

Somehow $110 for a chorus cassette - up to almost 300 for record ti - seems a bit high. So far I have been using veloce cassette's cuz at $60 on sale at Nashbar (last year) thats the best I have found. Seems to me that if the chains are all interchangable then cassette cog's should also be.. and it would just be a spacer issue no?

think this was talked about awhile back but in the last 6months perhaps there is now a solution?

Hopeful

Dek

Thanks for the info DBRK.

Dekonick--I think the thread "Ten goes with Ten" from earlier this week should answer your question. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9635

Dave
07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, you can't use a shimano cassette on a campy wheel, but there are a few other brands of cassettes made with a campy spline pattern that may be cheaper, like Miche and Marchisio. The problem with most off-brands is that they just don't shift as well and who wants to put up with mediocre shifting just to save a few bucks?

http://www.presto.nl/marchisio03.htm

The best way to reduce cost is to improve your maintenance technique. My tests are showing that chain life can be doubled from the usual 2-4000 miles by applying a cleaning lubricant after every ride. I use a 4/1 mix of mineral spirits and synthetic motor oil, applied heavily after every ride. I've got one chain with over 4000 miles on it that has very little measureable wear over a 12" length. The trick is to run the chain long enough to keep the cost down, but not so long that the cogs wear enough to cause skipping when a second chain is installed. With careful attention, it shouldn't be difficult to get 10-15,000 miles from a cassette. My tests take a long time to complete, because I'm splitting my miles between two bikes, but I have proven that chain wear is reduced by increasing the frequency of lubrication. I previously used the same lube, applied only 1-2 times per week. My chains still showed far less than the allowable 1/6" per elongation after 3-4,000 miles, but I usually just changed them annually to be safe.

chrisroph
07-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Use centaur cassettes. I just got a 12-25 from CC I believe for $60. I also change chains every 1500 miles or so. . Even with liberal use of lube, they start getting funky and noisy about then. I can't fathom how people run c 10 chains for over 2000 miles.

Big Dan
07-16-2005, 11:04 AM
SRAM 89R hollow pin.....works even if the experts say it don't...

:fight: