PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend Reynolds wheelsets?

laupsi
09-14-2011, 05:38 AM
have 3 pair of 32 spoked custom wheels, thinking about what to put on my new Ottrott. Want something different and have never ridden Reynolds.

djg
09-14-2011, 06:45 AM
I've got 2 sets. One is the budget "attack" model, picked up on heavy discount and rebuilt around a power tap. The other is the cross version of the DV46T. The attacks have been rock solid -- good all around wheels. The only thing I'd question would be the value at full msrp. They're not really deep section wheels and, although fine, they're not all that light either -- neither of these makes it a bad wheel set (and, as I've said, I think it's a good one in many ways), they're just things to keep in mind as you consider price and alternatives.

The DV46T have been great -- much more what I want a set of carbon hoops to be. I bought them for cross but they're also really good road wheels. I don't have any way to measure this, but they feel more solid and stable than standing or cornering than my old Zipp 303s (pre-dimple), which are themselves good wheels, and every bit as fast otherwise.

laupsi
09-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Djg; thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Dave B
09-14-2011, 07:26 AM
I have a pair of the MV32T (I think that is what they are called) and love them. I am a big lad and these do not flex at all...that i can tell and remain one of the nicest sets of wheels i have ever ridden. I love em! If I could afford as much I would buy a slew of the Reynolds range and try the lot of them.

laupsi
09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
am thinking about spending no more than $1,500 for the set. is this realistic?

wasfast
09-14-2011, 08:02 AM
I owned the DV46C's and Strikes. For the difference in hubs (DT240s) and bladed spokes, I don't see the $1000 price difference. Reynolds changed the rims on the Assaults/Strikes this year but the 2010's are just fine IMO.

Bonktown blew out quite a few Reynolds wheels, don't know if there will be more or not of the previous model. You may want to check ebay as well.

I had good success with both these wheelsets as well as a set of Alta Race that I bought on closeout ($125). Some had spoke breakage issues with the Alta series. I used these for training wheels for several years on my TT bike with zero issues. My weight at the time was around 183lbs for reference.

Likes2ridefar
09-14-2011, 08:10 AM
personally I think there are better options than reynolds rims. Compared to zipp and hed, they handle terrible in crosswinds. The mv32 are decent in winds simply because they aren't that deep, but the 46 and 66 are awful compared to similar depth zipp and hed rims.

It's also pretty well established now that the wider rims are better.

gone
09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
I've had a set of DV46-UL's (tubular) for about 4 years. They've got thousands of miles on them, have never seen a spoke wrench and are just as true as the day I took them out of the box.

They were expensive but they're light and they've held up very well.

protege55
09-14-2011, 08:35 AM
enjoying a set of 46 clinchers (new model) and really like them - great clincher wheelset - roll great, stable and stiff. Think your price range for them is about where I bought mine...replaced a set of bontrager 5.0s with these and the reynolds by far are better wheels - have 5k or so miles on them without issue at all...

mvrider
09-14-2011, 08:37 AM
If you want something different, have you ever tried Topolinos? They make my Ottrott (https://picasaweb.google.com/112227674531901972961/Serotta_Ottrott?authkey=Gv1sRgCKW3sNHphr2MZw) sing.

(apologies if that link doesn't appear correctly)

laupsi
09-14-2011, 08:47 AM
If you want something different, have you ever tried Topolinos? They make my Ottrott (https://picasaweb.google.com/112227674531901972961/Serotta_Ottrott?authkey=Gv1sRgCKW3sNHphr2MZw) sing.

(apologies if that link doesn't appear correctly)

sorry but can't stop marveling over the pics of your Ottrott. Yes the link was a-okay. Beautiful set up, thank you for sharing. Oh, and the wheels look pretty sweet too. I will look into them. :beer:

yashcha
09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I was wondering if any one owns the new Reynolds R2 wheelset? Full carbon clinchers under 1500 grams for a grand is pretty good. Another good option is the shimano c35 which can be found for around $1400 from europe.

laupsi
09-14-2011, 08:50 AM
question mvrider; what's the "gadget" covering the spoke nipples?

mvrider
09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Funny question I get a lot. Those black plastic things are just part of the Topolino (http://topolinotech.com/index.php) design. They join the carbon fiber/Kevlar spokes to the metal threads that fasten to the nipples.

Thanks for the compliments on my Ottrott. I picked it up a couple of years ago from a forum member. The wheels (the older C-19 model) came from a different forum member. I just noticed that Western Wheelworks has some Topolinos on clearance (http://www.westernbikeworks.com/search/topolino?adl=87e8f39874ce8c1538c14f7dd25d96be&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=+topolino%20+wheels&utm_content=807568621&utm_campaign=5959822995).

The Ottrott came with Campy Neutrons, but I think the bike didn't really "sing" to me until I put the Topolinos on. It just felt more responsive, yet more comfortable at the same time. I'm not a racer, just a century rider.

djg
09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
am thinking about spending no more than $1,500 for the set. is this realistic?

I think the ones I like are more expensive at msrp, but I also think it's realistic in that they make a large number of wheels and it's common to see them on sale -- sometimes deeply discounted -- in the fall and winter.

topher
09-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I have a pair of Reynolds Clincher Assaults, and think they are fantastic. They should also line up well with your budget.

Chris

djdj
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I've had the "Stratus" model (tubular, 46 deep, WI hubs) for about 5 years. I use them fairly often, in dry weather, with high-end Veloflex or Vittoria tubulars. They're light and they've held up very well. I love the hubs.

This is probably OT, but recently I've really preferred my Velocity A23 wheelset. With the wider rim, latex tubes and Veloflex 22 (really 23) clinchers, they run just as smooth, handle somewhat better and seem to be nearly as "Aero" as the Reynolds (based on my completely unscientific, seat of the pants testing).

yashcha
09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I've had the "Stratus" model (tubular, 46 deep, WI hubs) for about 5 years. I use them fairly often, in dry weather, with high-end Veloflex or Vittoria tubulars. They're light and they've held up very well. I love the hubs.

This is probably OT, but recently I've really preferred my Velocity A23 wheelset. With the wider rim, latex tubes and Veloflex 22 (really 23) clinchers, they run just as smooth, handle somewhat better and seem to be nearly as "Aero" as the Reynolds (based on my completely unscientific, seat of the pants testing).

Not to mention you have the added confidence of predictable braking from the Alu surface.

djdj
09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
The braking in dry conditions is actually no different. When wet, the aluminum rims are better.

kramnnim
09-14-2011, 07:54 PM
How are the hubs on the Attack/Assault models?

jghall
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
While there are nicer/better wheels out there, the Reynolds stuff is certainly above average, imo. I have 2 sets of MVT's and like them a lot. As with Dave I am a larger guy and they have held up very well.

Can be had pretty reasonably if buying used too.

Same can be said about Easton's carbon wheels too.

I speak only of the tubular variety, and have no experience with any clinchers models.

dhoff
09-14-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't know what it means when someone says "wider is better" or "there are better wheels" It seems to me it is all a matter of preference. I would love to see some objective measurement of Better vs worse. In the abesence of that, I will rely on what I like.

I love my Reynolds forty-six clincher's. On your budget the attack and assault's get great reviews, but I haven't ridden them. at the really high end, I have heard som complaints of rim flex on the RZR, but that is way out of both of our price ranges.

Again, dry or wet weather, rough roads and smooth, I really like the wheels I am riding.

happycampyer
09-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Reynolds makes great wheels—strong, good braking, etc. For me, the question of which wheels to get depends a lot on how much you weigh, how you plan to use them (racing or not), what the road conditions are where you ride and what kind of ride characteristics you are looking for.

In my very subjective experience, Reynolds' 46mm rim has a stiffer (harsher) feel than it's most popular competitors, the Edge 1.45 (close in feel to the Reynolds) or Zipp 303. I weigh about 170, so i'm not particularly lightweight, but if I weighed 20 or 30 pounds more (or if the roads around me were in better condition), my perception might be very different. I preferred the MV32T's to the 46's in terms of ride quality, and generally prefer lower profile carbon wheels (my favorites are Hyperons, which aren't aero or particularly light weight, but ride great). As others have noted, you can often get good deals on Reynolds wheels if you are patient—I got mine at the end of season on Bonktown for $1,100 or $1,200 or so.