PDA

View Full Version : Stem swap seems to make a huge difference?

roguedog
09-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Ok.. I'm just trying to see if this is my imagination or "new toy" syndrome.

I swapped out the stem that came with a bike I purchased used. Before the stem swap, the bike seemed to ride ok. Not bad not great which I found odd given this bike's rep. Ok.. I'm thinking maybe it's just not a bike for me.

In the classifieds I see FixedNotBroken selling a 3T Pro stem, same length, rise, except its black. hey, it's worth try plus the white stem just kinda bugged me. I put it on the bike last night and rode the bike this morning. Totally weird. The bike seems to feel stiffer and more agile. It's a lot more fun to ride and it even seems to feel more comfortable even though it's the same length and rise.

Has anyone else experienced this? does a different stem make that much of a difference? Maybe this is just new toy phase or something.

lhuerta
09-13-2011, 11:42 PM
...highly doubtful that a different stem of exact same rise and length made that much difference. Are you sure you placed bars at the exact same angle as before...that could make a significant difference in ride feel (e.g.bars turned slightly higher or lower). Also, it is highly possible that the two stems are actually not the exact same length. Often what one manufacturer calls X another manufacturer calls Y (e.g. I have three Rithey stems that are stamped 110mm, but one measures out to 105mm, one at 110mm, and another at 115mm.Lou

LouDeeter
09-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Also could be that the first stem wasn't adjusted properly, creating either a loose or tight headset, which will affect the way the bike handles. Otherwise, I agree with the previous post--probably the angle of the levers - rolled up or down from original position. From a stiffness standpoint, if the stems are both the same make/model and in good shape, shouldn't matter. But, if they are different makes with same size and angle, then a different stem could make a difference in how the bike feels. I once had a bike with a titanium stem and carbon bar. It was so flexible that I couldn't ride it. Once I switched to an aluminum stem/bar, all was well.

roguedog
09-14-2011, 06:58 AM
thanks guys. you are probably right, it's likely that the bars are in a diff position. however it's interesting you mention ritchey cuz that was the former stem. it felt and looked like a more aggressive angle and a little longer when it was on the bike. in fact so much so that i actually looked to find the specs on both stems when i first put the new stem on. it looked like it had a different angle. i actually confirmed that both were same rise and same length.

anyway.. thanks and i'm a happier rider.

edl
09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm with LouDeeter, most likely the original stem wasn't installed properly and there was some slop in the headset adjustment. That'd make a huge difference in the ride quality.

In any case, new parts always make a bike better. :D

Fixed
09-14-2011, 08:07 PM
enjoy the ride
cheers

d.vader123
09-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I wanted to ask. When you put the new stem on, did it feel shorter or did it feel longer?

I know that it was the same length, but I am wondering if you perceived it as being longer or shorter.

roguedog
09-14-2011, 10:48 PM
edl - yup.. new parts always make a bike feel better :p

vader (how cool is it to type that?) - hmm. .depends on what you mean by perceived. if you mean by "eyeballing" it seemed shorter but maybe that's the black thing whereas the other was white. if you mean, on the bike, i didn't really feel like the stem was shorter. i just felt overall a bit more comfortable and not so long and low

TimmyB
09-14-2011, 11:45 PM
The bike seems to feel stiffer and more agile. There can definitely be a noticeable difference between different stems and stiffness. Just as there is with bars...

I switched from a WCS to ProVibe7s on one bike and a WCS to a Thomson x2 on another bike and there was definitely a positive difference.