PDA

View Full Version : How did you start your Day?Early Mornig commuters and the Mount vernon trail

dsimon
09-13-2011, 06:51 AM
What a wonderful day I had. No pounding the pavement. Commuters are a strange bread the grimmace look on there face as as if they are late or racing for there life. From thousands of dollar bikes to ones that should have been put out to pasture years ago. As I ride my serotta Im just happy to be out there instead of pounding pavement 5 maybe 6 miles with a face of grimmace :crap: Many with panniers and plain clothes im in my kit and get passed, I dont care Im just happy to be here. Some times instead of saying on your left I slow and enjoy the view for just a few. :banana: and the wonderfull sounds that the wooden bridge near the river sounds under your wheels. I slow to watch the sun rise and get passed buy a guy on a 1989 Mountain Bike with road tires as if it was a breeze. Im not a poet but this is how I started My day.

AngryScientist
09-13-2011, 06:58 AM
any day that starts with a bike ride is a good day :beer:

rugbysecondrow
09-13-2011, 07:15 AM
I was feeling fortunate I was able to have both my coffee and smoothie AND catch the train on time.

Sounds like a start to what I hope is a great day.

staggerwing
09-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I'm a daily cylo-commuter, and likely as not, grit my teeth and push hard. Not really about getting to work faster; more about getting the blood flowing and working some aggression out so I can present a calm, collected demeanor. My cycle is both a portable gym and mental health clinic. My wife doesn't fully understand, but has been tolerant because of the positive changes.

Generally, I take a few side streets, to get a couple of extra miles in, and not compete with those racing down the main drag to their morning cup of joe.

Even in crappy weather, I can start the day with a smile when I ride.

Enjoy the miles.

Acotts
09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
What a wonderful day I had. No pounding the pavement. Commuters are a strange bread the grimmace look on there face as as if they are late or racing for there life. From thousands of dollar bikes to ones that should have been put out to pasture years ago. As I ride my serotta Im just happy to be out there instead of pounding pavement 5 maybe 6 miles with a face of grimmace :crap: Many with panniers and plain clothes im in my kit and get passed, I dont care Im just happy to be here. Some times instead of saying on your left I slow and enjoy the view for just a few. :banana: and the wonderfull sounds that the wooden bridge near the river sounds under your wheels. I slow to watch the sun rise and get passed buy a guy on a 1989 Mountain Bike with road tires as if it was a breeze. Im not a poet but this is how I started My day.

I hope we passed eachother and said, "Guday, Sah!" and tipped out helmets.

dsimon
09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Me to. I went from the Memorial bridge to the otherside of the Airport and back. Nice sunrise

vsefiream
09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
I try to commute every Tues and Thurs. I got off on a late start this morning. I left my water bottle home in the freezer, that netted me a few extra miles as I had to double back for it :rolleyes: . Had a stiff 15 mph headwind, mostly during the climbs, at least so it seemed. Still wouldn't change it for the world. What a great morning, leaves are starting to fall already, the sun was up and golden, there path was oddly vacant but peaceful. I stopped at the top of the canal bridge for a few moments, took in the view, drank some fluids and took off again. I am looking forward to the fall colors, apple cider and wine :hello:

flydhest
09-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Every morning through downtown DC streets unless I have an errand to do that requires a car.

Still, the best way to start the day, for me, is hearing my 8-month old babbling and giggling. Leaving her to go to work is only slightly made easier by going by bike.

keithreynolds
09-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I was rewarded with a nice rusty set of channel locks, my first real road treasure. The weather is spectacular right now.

http://i51.tinypic.com/11l20bm.jpg

rpm
09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
My commute was over the big bridge across the big river, past the folks having breakfast in the outdoor cafe, then along the tree-lined path on the bluff, passing X-C skiers training on their roller skis, a mom towing a little one in a trailer, a little old lady with a funny hat smiling as she walked along, two coeds on hybrids chatting away, then down the hill to the river with the sun gleaming off the water, then up under another bridge, getting passed buy a guy in full kit, then onto the old railroad bridge with the view of the locks and falls as I crossed, up the steep little hill to the road, weaving through the mobs on campus, into my building, into the elevator and finally into my office where my CDA sits underneath the photos of the Giro di Lombardia and Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

Yeah, it beats the heck of the freeway.

deechee
09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Was looking forward to biking in with the city rental bikes (https://montreal.bixi.com/) , but then it started to rain and it looked like it was going to pour so I ended up in the smelly, sweaty metro (subway). Not my preferred way to start the day :crap:

znfdl
09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I might be one of the people who is grimacing, as I use my early morning commutes for interval trainng.

What color is your serrota, as I can keep an eye out for you?

rugbysecondrow
09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Still, the best way to start the day, for me, is hearing my 8-month old babbling and giggling.

Amen

ergott
09-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Commuter here. Either I'm on my Soma with bags and fenders or my Spooky just because it's too awesome to wait until the weekend to ride it.

I've found countless tools on the road as well. Two Channel Lock pliers etc.

dsimon
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM
thanks ZNFDL its Blue, I usually only ride on tuesdays to give the knees a break Im stationed at Fort Myers so it usually during PT time about 630-745 is my time I do understand the grimmace when I run I too am fighting a battle. anyday I can ride a bike for PT and get a few extra miles during the week is a blast. So is the eye candy

wgp
09-14-2011, 06:42 AM
As a regular commuter on the Mt Vernon Trail (usually leave at 6am to go into DC and 7pm to ride back home - I live about 3 miles from Mt Vernon) I'd love to greet any forumites out along the trail. I'm usually on my Moots, so give a shout if we pass! As it gets darker and the lights come on, it's obviously harder to make out any features, but I'll look for you csiowner, znfdl, and acotts!!

thinpin
09-14-2011, 07:26 AM
I have been beguiled by the whole commuter thing for a while now. Here in Melbourne its often called the "Tour de Yarra". After the bike trail that hosts it.
Hords of fat, strong but generally unfit types busting their asses in some imaginary pursuit. Cadence 12, femurs at 90 deg, cracks on display and the rocking that such a big gear demands.
But they hang on like limpets on a death march to the wheel of some waif not even in the zone.
I have had the displeasure of commuting home from night duty against this flow. Apart from a few the majority presented as a miserable mob indeed.
I try to enjoy my commute. Its only 10 miles. I need 20 to warm up so why sweat it.
Let "ping-ping passing" and his mates "on your right' and the rest of the lemming brigade go right on by.

djg
09-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I reckon a bit of the MV Trail, as I head through North Arlington to the river, and then along the river, from Roosevelt Island to the 14th Street bridge. Not feeling 100%, but nice, nice weather for spinning to work.

Lately I've mostly been on the Serotta GP Suisse cross bike (unpainted Ti), if you see some bearded crazy muttering to himself as he pilots such a bike on the Mt. Vernon, or Custis, or W&OD, say hi.