PDA

View Full Version : Helping out my neighbor - Casati Gold Line S value

InspectorGadget
09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
My neighbor has a Casati Gold Line S she is interested is selling. The frame is SLX and very much, if not exactly, like the one shown in this link (http://velobase.com/Velos/ViewModel.aspx?ID=9fded62f-3b9c-4e5d-88da-87f48b9ec661); unfortunately the frame is not in great condition cosmetically and the color is kind of a peachy shade of pink. The condition of the paint isn't horrible, but there are several rust spots on the chain stays and the brake bridge is quite corroded. I love the world championship details on the fork crown and the top end of the seat stays.

Build specs are as follows: crank, front derailleur, brakes/levers, hubs and headset are Shimano Santé (http://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/Japan/Sante_87-ad.jpg) . Oh yeah, the Santé cranks even have Bio Pace chainrings. The rest is a bit of a mish-mash - corroded, but gold plated Campy shifters; Deore LX rear derailleur; unknown seatpost; Turbo saddle; Cinelli bars & TTT Colnago stem. I don't remember what rims, but the wheels are nice and straight.

The ST is ~53cm, TT is ~54cm and the BB shell is stamped 54. I took it for a quick 5 mile ride today and was reminded why I love steel bikes. :)

My neighbor tells me the bike was ridden in the TdF; maybe so, but not with the current build kit. :rolleyes: Apparently the Campy sticker on the downtube is the only remnant of the bike's TdF glory days. Sorry, I don't have any photos, but I've tried to give you a reasonable idea about the bike's condition and build.

Approximately, what do you think she is worth? The bike, not my neighbor. ;)

Ken Robb
09-12-2011, 10:22 PM
you might get better answers for this from the classic rendezvous site.

velomateo
09-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Check ebay closed auctions, there was recently a Casati that sold for $499. It was a little rough, but restorable, and had a Sante' group. Nice frame with a lot of great details. Check it's condition vs the one your neighbor has and come up with a price. Good luck.

ultraman6970
09-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Condition is the key word all the time, Back in the day TdF bicycles had a number tab, id this one doesn't have one pretty much doubt the TdF story is 100% true, if it has a tab at least you know it was raced at some point but be track down previous owners or riders is hard after 25 years to corroborate the TdF part is hard.

I dont remember seen any TdF team using casati, but why not u know.

What u can do is just post a picture of the frame but if it has rust value goes down u never know with rust tho. Have seen guys asking 800 bucks for a colnago frame that pretty much needed to be rechromed and repainted, only in chroming u have 400 bucks, plus a good paint job 400 more then the bike is 1600, don't worth it u know unless was a frame used by EM or like the EM that is being offered here that was raced in the TdF or at least used by a TdF rider.

Probably the best for her is just strip it down and sell it by parts because somebody looking for a frame doubt will need all those parts in there for a good restoration or maybe to build it how it should be. Personally I would not need all the parts but maybe the headset but if its rusty i'm sure the headset is pitted too, that is pretty much expected.

Good luck and pls post a picture :)