PDA

View Full Version : 7 speed cassette spacers.

stephenmarklay
09-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I am trying to fit a 7 speed cog on a Mavic 8-10 hub.

I have a 4.5mm spacer and the spacer that was on the Mavic hub (I think they are a bit longer). The 7 speed cassette has rivets that don't mesh with the 4.5mm spacer but does with the mavic spacer. Although it sinks in about half the depth of that spacer in provided indents I must be 1-1.5 mm further than perfect.

The last cog seems to mesh OK with the hub and all is tight with the lockring.

Am I golden or not quite bronzed?

oliver1850
09-13-2011, 12:43 AM
I think I understand what you're getting at. I think 4.5 mm is the correct spacer. I would probably file some indentations for the rivets, or just get rid of the rivets.

On the other hand, if you're saying the Mavic spacer is thicker, you can tighten up the lockring, and there's clearance at the dropout so that the chain doesn't hit in the small cog, that works too.

stephenmarklay
09-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Clear as mud?

Ok let me try again. I have a Mavic wheel. I put on a 4.5mm spacer first. Then I put on the mavic spacer that came with the wheel which had indents in it for Rivets that are on the cogs. Then I put on the 7-speed cassette and the last cogs and lockring.

However, the indents are not as deep as the riviets protrude so the spacer does not sit flush with the largest cog. The last cog may or may not have enough overlap on the freehub to stay put but the longring tightens and the whole thing is tight.

I am thinking that I should remove the rivets so that it all sits flush but I am wondering if I will then end up with a gap on the lockring end.

Any more clear?

oldpotatoe
09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Clear as mud?

Ok let me try again. I have a Mavic wheel. I put on a 4.5mm spacer first. Then I put on the mavic spacer that came with the wheel which had indents in it for Rivets that are on the cogs. Then I put on the 7-speed cassette and the last cogs and lockring.

However, the indents are not as deep as the riviets protrude so the spacer does not sit flush with the largest cog. The last cog may or may not have enough overlap on the freehub to stay put but the longring tightens and the whole thing is tight.

I am thinking that I should remove the rivets so that it all sits flush but I am wondering if I will then end up with a gap on the lockring end.

Any more clear?

Remove the rivets and pins, make it a loose cog cogset(easier to clean also) and then install. If a gap, add another appropriate spacer onto the freehub first.

staggerwing
09-13-2011, 07:44 AM
You can either: (1) Remove the rivets, (2) Hit the rivet heads with a few strokes of a mill file to take the thickness down such that they fit in the spacer, (3) Take a square file, and carve the indents in the spacer a little deeper.

I would likely start with option (2), as it will likely be easiest.

stephenmarklay
09-13-2011, 07:54 AM
You can either: (1) Remove the rivets, (2) Hit the rivet heads with a few strokes of a mill file to take the thickness down such that they fit in the spacer, (3) Take a square file, and carve the indents in the spacer a little deeper.

I would likely start with option (2), as it will likely be easiest.

THANKS!.

Option 2 first then option 1. with a dremal.

I will see what the spacing is with this and go from there.