PDA

View Full Version : Building a new Serotta

Skrawny
09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Hey guys, over the years I have learned to respect the consolidated knowledge on this forum.

I am finally pulling the trigger on a new Serotta, and would love your opinions on build.

I am a 140 lb spinner. I no longer race, but I don't like to be passed.
My plan is a Ottrott SE with red lacquer/polished Ti, and Campy gruppo.
My favorite saddle thus far is the Selle Italia SLR (I am currently riding an Fi'zi:k Airone)
I am looking for wheels that have good performance, but are mostly bomb-proof.

I would appreciate any recommendations and opinions, but please don't start a flame war to lock this thread.

Thanks,
-s

rpm
09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds fabulous! For all-around use I'm a big fan of Hed Ardennes wheels with Conti 4000S 25c tires. They would nicely complement the plush/fast/tough bike you're building.

Ozz
09-12-2011, 05:34 PM
what is your wheel budget?

dave thompson
09-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Contact our favorite wheelbuilders (oldpotatoe and Ergott) and discuss a wheelset using your favorite hubs laced to HED C2 rims or Velocity A23 rims. Either can build you a lightweight, bombproof set of wheels better than anything out there.

RedRider
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Great choice on frame. Can't go wrong with Campy. Saddle is an individual selection. Get one that fits, supports your sit bones, not too much pressure on soft tissue. Wheels; HED Ardenne SL, Zipp 101 both have wide rims making a 23 tire a 25. Rolf is comming out with one too. Mavic Ksyrium SL has always been the "bombproof" wheel. At 140lbs you can ride any wheel and possibly even look into a lightweight build. Have fun!

AngryScientist
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
handbuilt wheels are always nice, but if you want to go the prebuilt route, i highly recommend either shamals or eurus. the shamals are some of the nicest wheels i've ridden.

for reference, i'm 145#, and i've done some light credit card touring with those wheels in upper new england, rock solid wheels, light and responsive. they look dead sexy too.

congratulations on an excellent choice!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Picture007-1.jpg

CNY rider
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I am finally pulling the trigger on a new Serotta, and would love your opinions on build.

-s

Congrats man
It's been a while.
You must be pulling down attending $$$ now or at least seeing them in the near future.
Enjoy your new bike, it's the most exciting thing I got myself once I started earning a real living. :beer:

msl819
09-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Angry Scientist...

I do not want to jack this thread, but what bars are you running there. I am looking for something with shallow drops.

handbuilt wheels are always nice, but if you want to go the prebuilt route, i highly recommend either shamals or eurus. the shamals are some of the nicest wheels i've ridden.

for reference, i'm 145#, and i've done some light credit card touring with those wheels in upper new england, rock solid wheels, light and responsive. they look dead sexy too.

congratulations on an excellent choice!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Picture007-1.jpg

AngryScientist
09-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Angry Scientist...

I do not want to jack this thread, but what bars are you running there. I am looking for something with shallow drops.

FSA Compact :beer:

Skrawny
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
what is your wheel budget?
-Total budget is ~$13K

CNY rider: you got it!

-I was wondering the same.

s

Pete Serotta
09-13-2011, 04:40 AM
:D and enjoy. At 140 lbs, the wheels you like are the nice ones.

I have a sweet spot for MAVIC K which is not liked by others.

THe ZIPP 101s have some friends smiling.

Hand built is up to you, At your weight and spinning,

you are not a wheel "basher". Handbuilts are personal and can be excellent also.

and there are some good builders here....ergott is one and also, I would ask OLDPOTATOE in a note what he would recommend in prebuilt .

Let us know when you are getting it and also share some pictures with us and some ride reports...

Best of luck and ask any questions. BUT FIT and the smile(by you) are the most important,

PETE

Hey guys, over the years I have learned to respect the consolidated knowledge on this forum.

I am a 140 lb spinner. I no longer race, but I don't like to be passed.
My plan is a Ottrott SE with red lacquer/polished Ti, and Campy gruppo.
My favorite saddle thus far is the Selle Italia SLR (I am currently riding an Fi'zi:k Airone)
I am looking for wheels that have good performance, but are mostly bomb-proof.

I would appreciate any recommendations and opinions, but please don't start a flame war to lock this thread.

Thanks,
-s

R2D2
09-13-2011, 04:49 AM
For bomb proof wheels it is hard to beat Mavic Open Pro's laced 3x to Campagnolo Record or Shimano DureAce hubs. They are inexpensive, easy to maintain and last forever. Then you have enough leftover to buy some very nice go fast wheels so you won't be passed when the time comes..

Skrawny
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
any comments on peddles?
i am riding speedplay zeros (not titanium), but have had no experience with others. now is my chance to change if there is better...

handlebars?

-s

ps- forgive the ee cummings lowercase; the other hand has baby and bottle

Skrawny
09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
If there is still interest out there, I would welcome opinions on:
Stems
Seatposts
Peddles
Handlebars

Anyone?

Bueller? ... Bueller? ...

kohagen
09-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I have Speedplay Zeros on all my road bikes and love them. Adjustable float, great cornering clearance, wide load platform, hard to beat them.

Cat3roadracer
09-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Stem and seatpost - Thomson. Wheels, Chris King, Mavic Open Pro. Speedplay X1. Black Handlebra. Done.

dhoff
09-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Pedals, I like Keo's Have them on all road bikes except the Rando which gets SPD pedals and walking shoes. Going to the Keo's I found the broad pedal a relief to my feet on long rides.

avalonracing
09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I have Speedplay Zeros on all my road bikes and love them. Adjustable float, great cornering clearance, wide load platform, hard to beat them.

Agreed on the Zeros and at 140lbs you can get the Ti spindled model.