PDA

View Full Version : New Bikes

Jason E
09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Something someone said in the other thread got me thinking...

What new bikes do y'all have on order that are not from ebay or used, not that anything is wrong with that? What are you waiting on to come in and gathering little pieces for?

I've got an IF on order I am very excited about, I have not ordered a new bike in a while. I am also hoping to get a new road frame sometime after the new year, hopefully even from our gracious hosts...

Though this is not my bike, here is my DT Font...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P-jGQUi9ihg/Ta7WWy7J7II/AAAAAAAADEI/DBLM723BUcE/s1600/P1010001.JPG

Mine is a Steel Planet X, Geared this time!

ergott
09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Richard Sachs. I'm far enough down the queue that I will end up getting a bike or two before my name comes up, but nothing planned.

:(

Uncle Jam's Army
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
This actually has me a bit nervous:

1. A Kirk S&S coupled Terraplane "all arounder" that is at Joe Bell for painting. Due in about 6-7 weeks.

2. A Hampsten Ti Gran Paradiso by Eriksen, due in about 7 weeks.

3. A Zanconato Sax Max XCr, due probably in Nov-Dec.

I didn't plan it this way and hoped to stagger them out to ease the pain, but it looks like they're all going to be delivered at about the same time. I have all the parts except for seatpost, bars, stem, and pedals for the Hampsten and fenders for the Kirk.

alexstar
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Something someone said in the other thread got me thinking...

What new bikes do y'all have on order that are not from ebay or used, not that anything is wrong with that? What are you waiting on to come in and gathering little pieces for?

I've got an IF on order I am very excited about, I have not ordered a new bike in a while. I am also hoping to get a new road frame sometime after the new year, hopefully even from our gracious hosts...

I have a Gaulzetti on order. It's the third brand-new bike I've ever bought - finances have always previously dictated secondhand bikes, but that is starting to change, and in a perfect world all of my upcoming bike purchases will be new from the maker.

Soon I will send my broken Serotta to Kelly Bedford for repair, so that will be new-ish - possibly with a different paint scheme too.

After that, I'm planning a few others - a Kirk and a Spectrum, and potentially a Pegoretti, at the rate of one bike a year - although real life will probably slow me down a bit.

timto
09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Kirk at paint now..
A Sachs in the next 4 years I 'think'

biker72
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I haven't purchased a new bike since 2005. I have 3 nice bikes but they are all used.
Green with envy.... :D

bicycletricycle
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
a Chapman lightweight rando bike, stainless lugs, sax max, dyno hub

kohlboto
09-12-2011, 06:17 PM
another Hampsten in the works...a commuter/town bike using a Sturmey-Archer hub...ETA sometime in February.

Joachim
09-12-2011, 07:32 PM
A Maietta XCr as replacement for my Spirit frame in about 6 weeks.
A lugged Anderson 953 in June 2012

dancinkozmo
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
..i love it when you guys keep buying terrific new bikes...inevitably leads to some cool stuff in the classifieds for us bottom feeders !

ergott
09-12-2011, 08:03 PM
..i love it when you guys keep buying terrific new bikes...inevitably leads to some cool stuff in the classifieds for us bottom feeders !

Good luck. I still have my Serotta and Zanconato.

:beer:

jeffreyt
09-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Got a Zanc road on order for next spring, and just got a quote for a Gaulzetti.

Jason E
09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Got a Zanc road on order for next spring, and just got a quote for a Gaulzetti.

Which Gaulzetti are you looking at?

dhoff
09-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Garro is building me a "third world tourer". It is a custom coupled touring bike designed to take big fat tires for the roads that are little more than paths I may find in South America and Road tires for smoother terrain. Drop bars 'cause nothing else feels right and plenty of room for racks and bags. This bike will use mountain bike components to help with heavy loads and bad roads.

Ben and I have been discussing something else, something new. I will say more if it makes it off the drawing board.

I did put my name on Vanilla's interested parties list about a year ago, but that only means that I may be able to get onto the other list, the actual waiting list sometime in a few more years.

Oh and I am building a fixie out of a frame pulled out of a dumpster. Just one more part to go. :banana:

jlyon
09-12-2011, 08:59 PM
I am seriously considering the new Jamis Bosanova.

I love my Tricross but it is not quite sporty enough and I will never commute on my legend so this seems to fit the bill and is in my price range. I am a big heavy guy and like a bike that can take wide tires and has good brakes.

Acotts
09-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Chris Dormbach is making me a 1st world tourer. So just like yours ^^ except more cxish. Essentially a monster-crossable ss bike with couplers and disk brakes. It will also include a set of internal geared wheel set with a dyno up front running a headlamp for when the weather gets cold. I'll be running 35s on it, but it takes up to 2.2 inch tires is the spirit moves me.

You can't buy a bike like that off the shelf. The Travelers Check comes close, but this will be an SS, have disk brakes, will take bigger tires, and will weigh about 10 pounds less. That and it will bring the freak hotness.

And to be honest, it's not all that pricey. The dude does great work for a fantastic price.

kohagen
09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I've got a Weigle that's either going to be repaired or replaced after being T-boned by a car. And, depending on which it is, I'm either going to have to order lots of replacement bits in the near future to go with the repaired frame, or get another lugged steel frame bike to use during the wait for the new frame.

Jason E
09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
a Chapman lightweight rando bike, stainless lugs, sax max, dyno hub

What's this look like? Couldn't find a website.

nighthawk
09-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Brian (Chapman) builds for Circle A... but has recently started building under his own moniker (Chapman Cycles), though still building for Circle A.

http://oregonmanifest.com/constructor/chapman-cycles/

Here's the bike he built for the '09 Oregon Manifest:

http://www.circleacycles.com/brian/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/IMG_8378_2.jpg

One of the most solid dudes I know.

What's this look like? Couldn't find a website.

jeffreyt
09-13-2011, 05:26 AM
Which Gaulzetti are you looking at?

I'm looking at the Corsa. After only riding steel bikes for the past several years, I've missed the crisp feel of an aluminum race bike.

BillG
09-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Here's the bike he built for the '09 Oregon Manifest:

http://www.circleacycles.com/brian/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/IMG_8378_2.jpg

That's my buddy Dave's bike. I've spent a lot of time watching that bike smoothly ride up mountains and leave me in the dust! The level of detail on it is nuts. You can't tell from the picture but Brian built mud scraper buttons into the fenders.

OTB
09-13-2011, 05:49 AM
Rivendell Roadeo

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/roadeo-frameset/50-618

I have become a big fan of the Jack Brown's they sell

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/jack-brown-green-blue/10-092

oldmill
09-13-2011, 05:59 AM
An ANT tourer. It's been a much longer wait than I expected. I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm starting to feel like I've been looking at that same light for a long time.

Stan Lee
09-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Here is my recent bike- it's a few years old but it's been recently updated.

veloduffer
09-13-2011, 07:06 AM
I just bought a new Parlee Z4 about 3 weeks ago. I wanted a lightweight carbon racing bike that was stiffer and shorter wheelbase than other bikes in my stable. It's great for my out-of-the saddle climbing style and not too stiff but stiff enough for that "instant" power transfer when you turn the pedals. It's a fun bike and fits me well.

Dan Le foot
09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Just ordered a new Seven Axiom S based on Jeff's recommendation. (Pressure is on Jeff)
I'm going all Ti. Not that there is anything wrong with plastic. (or steel)
4 week delivery expected.
Dan

bicycletricycle
09-13-2011, 08:07 AM
that is a nice potts

Acotts
09-13-2011, 08:11 AM

I hear you buddy. But you will never get my bike. This next one's a lifer. :beer:

Mikej
09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I love those type II frks on a Potts. Roller Cam, too! If you ever decide to part with that baby...

dancinkozmo
09-13-2011, 08:52 AM
.... This next one's a lifer. :beer:

thats what they all say .... the newbikelust force eventually defeats us all, dont bother fighting it , you cannot win .

Stan Lee
09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
I love those type II frks on a Potts. Roller Cam, too! If you ever decide to part with that baby...

Thanks- I will let you know if that day comes. :) Good eye on the brake- it's actually a lever link that Charlie did. He also did the toggle cam rear, the FASP, the skewers and a few other things on it.....here are a few detail shots.

Acotts
09-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm not saying its my last bike, lol! I think I got one more after this (dont tell the wifey...shhhhh!)

:beer:

Look for it in the custom bike gallery in aboot a month and you will see what I mean. The things gonna be a total " :banana: :banana: :banana: " mobile.

I gotta say, buying a new custom bike has been a ton of fun so far.

bigflax925
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Holy cow, that Potts is schweet! Truly a dream ride for me.

I haven't bought a new bike since 2000 or so and that was just a frame.

jblande
09-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Look for it in the custom bike gallery in aboot a month and you will see what I mean. The things gonna be a total " :banana: :banana: :banana: " mobile.

I gotta say, buying a new custom bike has been a ton of fun so far.

Acotts,

could you perhaps say a bit more about the choices you have made in designing this bike and why you have made them. I am thinking of something along very similar lines, but am a bit unsure how to go about it...

Acotts
09-13-2011, 12:07 PM
...too many compromises makes for a crappy bike.

so my demands were mounts for racks, panniers, pump, bottles
CXish Geo
Couplers
Disks
Should be able to go up to 2.2's, but be designed for 35's.
2 set of wheels, One SS set, and another with internal geared hub and dyno.

My thoughts were as such.

June-October (and on race weekends) the thing is going to be a SS cxer with a rack. I wanted a fun bike that with easy on-off panniers would be a joy to commute on, thrashing up hills, hopping off road, and bunny hopping stuff (I love bunny hopping) Then October-May, I would throw fenders, the IGH and Dyno on the bike and turn it into a less fun, but more functioning commuter. So that was its main purpose...to be a fun bike to ride to work. One that holds my stuff without making my back too sweaty, or can hold my computer and spare clothes when I bike to school. This ain't a bike to win races.

....but, I also plan on doing a month long bike tour upon completing my MBA. So, I wanted it to be, at least functional, as a tourer.

So, the biggest compromise seemed to be between its role as a fast twitchy commuter rather than a dedicated tourer that is stable under heavy loads. I wanted a more snappy feel as I like to have fun on my commutes. I find touring bikes just kind slow feeling for me.

So the compromise here was a bit shorter wheel base than what would be used for a dedicated X racer. I left the length up to the builder, Chris Dornbach, but he said with 35's it should be pretty snappy, if I put on a 23-25 c wheels, it will steer slower more like a touring bike. Just not as stable as a classic tourer. Also, I went with the lighter tubeset (and more heavily butted) than what would be recommended for a tourer. So I should not put more than 40 pounds on the bike. And if I do, I should put a lot of the weight in an in-frame bag rather than on racks.

Per Chris:
"The trail, with 35c tires the trail is at 60. I prefer 65 for cross as it makes the bike a little more responsive in the handlebar rather than the seat but 60 is a nice neutral number for type of road platform bike. When you put 25C tires on her the trail will drop to 57-58 making her slightly biased to the seat or body lean rather than the bar but still towards a neutral handling or century bike. Loaded touring would be super around 52ish."

I also dream of doing one of those long-off road rides through Utah or Colorado one day, so I wanted it to be Monster Crossable, Just in case. (in fact, I plan on putting a 35 on the back and a 45 on the front for Iron Cross next year!!!! YEAH!). But I did not want MTBing geo to really get mixed up. I have MTBs for the real technical stuff. So if I find myself in an off-road situation with a real technical descent while on this bike...well I'm just gonna deal with it and not try to be a super hero.

"When you put large tires on her 2.2 or so, the trail gets up to 70. For me I prefer high trail numbers on my 29ers (80). 70 will lend itself to faster fire roads and not so much towards technical singe track but given your riding position, the bike wouldn't be suited for that style of riding regardless of the trail. You can also put larger tires than 2.2 and get the trail further into the 70s."

The fork...to be honest, I dont get fork geo. For some reason, it just does not compute. Simply due to a funding issues, I am using a Salsa fork which is light, low-cost, can fit the tires I need, but has a 55mm offset whereas Chris prefers something closer to 47mm. That said, he is confident that he can make this work as he has built a few other dedicated monster crossers with these forks and they handled really well. I dont understand fork offset and head tube angles...they make my mind grapes tired. I probably should have just gotten a custom fork...so we'll see.

Also, for background, I have a CAAD 9 for road racing. I have a 2x10 Sachs Team for CXing, I have a full Suspension 1x10 26er for technical stuff, and a crapper fully rigid SS 29er for fast fun MTBing. So my needs here were kinda funny. I wanted something that would take me to work, and on adventures...not so much to get from A to B faster than others.

We call it a Vacationeur

Aesthetically, I wanted something kinda fun. My inspiration is (French Blue and Mango, :banana: :banana::

Acotts
09-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Dancinkozmo,

Do you see how much fun yer missing?

Getting bikes built for you is really fun!

...but yeah, it costs. I got this one as my reward for doing full time school and work rather than leaving my job to go to just school. That was the deal I made with myself (the devil ).

I can say that my student loan is not paying for it, but its not not paying for it too.

...Well, perhaps its covering the CK hubs, lol.

pdmtong
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
you guys are all lucky. I've only had two new bike experiences in my life, one was factory direct through a friend, the other from a shop. My wife has had two new bikes, my daughter only her 12", 16" and 20" were new. I'm stuck surfing CL and the forums for your much appreciated left overs.

jlwdm
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
It is great to see a large number of excellent custom bikes on order.

I am going to show a few photos of a bike I got a year ago but only has 12 miles on it. I won this Spectrum ti in a raffle on the forum and it was built up for me in Seattle last September. Unfortunately I am now a one person business and have only seen the bike once and got in a 12 mile ride. Be back in Seattle in 10 days for my mother's birthday and hopefully some better miles. Chorus 11 with HED Ardennes. Road bike built for fenders and wider tires.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m617/6ridge9/Bikes/Frame-1.jpg

Painted frame although WC logo on down tube was removed.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m617/6ridge9/Bikes/SpectrumFrame.jpg

Pauls Racer Medium Brakes

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m617/6ridge9/Bikes/IMG_1158.jpg

Jeff

Stan Lee
09-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Cool looking frame Jeff- how tall are you? That's a neat looking Tandem frame in the background of the first pic!

jlwdm
09-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Cool looking frame Jeff- how tall are you? That's a neat looking Tandem frame in the background of the first pic!

6' 2 1/2' but short in the upper body.

Jeff

jblande
09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
thank you Acotts! Great help!

Jason E
09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=85295&stc=1

This is the color I got, except with the Hazard Orange Panels. Can not wait.

noonan1970
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
got a Boedie 29er SS at paint right now!!

http://boediecycles.com/

Acotts
09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
This is the color I got, except with the Hazard Orange Panels. Can not wait.

Are you springing for the Mango hubs and headset?

I also think I am going to go for something a bit deeper-blue...a little more lavender....well, well see whatever the painter does. I sent him the picture and told him to go to town.

-A

Jason E
09-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Are you springing for the Mango hubs and headset?

I also think I am going to go for something a bit deeper-blue...a little more lavender....well, well see whatever the painter does. I sent him the picture and told him to go to town.

-A

It's actually going to be Baby Blue Pearl and Omaha Orange. I'm gonna wait to see how it comes out and then yes, I'll probably get the Orange. I also want the Campy Compatible CK's, so I have to wait either way.

Pete Serotta
09-14-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a HSG Comp on order and will be getting a Ti CRT tour frame in the spring... :D

Yes, I am biased. Another one could be a Colorado but probably just the two above as replacements. :crap:

johnnymossville
09-14-2011, 07:41 PM
JLWDM, That bike looks really great. Congrats.

No new bikes for me for awhile. Just bought a house. maybe next year.