PDA

View Full Version : Best Headset?

SouthDowns
09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Everyone seems to agree that Chris King make the best headsets. If you're trying to save a little money on a build, which headset would you recommend as an alternative?

avalonracing
09-12-2011, 02:48 PM
A Chris King headset on sale. ;)

AngryScientist
09-12-2011, 02:50 PM
for a road bike that doesnt see very harsh environmental conditions, most all headsets are very good.

cane creek makes excellent components, as does ritchey. both can be had very economically.

Nooch
09-12-2011, 02:58 PM
So the appropriate title to this thread would be "Second Best Headset," it would seem :)

I have FSA on both of my cannondales, integrated, and they seem to work just dandy, as does the cane creek on my cross bike..

But then I've never ridden the King, so who am I to judge?

Kontact
09-12-2011, 02:59 PM
As a mechanic, I don't understand what a cartridge bearing Cane Creek S-2 for $40 is failing to do that a 110 or CK would do better. They are well machined and hold the bearings securely, and are relatively well sealed. Not sure what else there is to a modern headset.

I think headset design mattered a lot more when the balls were loose and the headset had a locknut.

gdw
09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
The Cane Creek S-2 is a good all-around headset.
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=11685-Cane+Creek+S+2+Headset

R2D2
09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
As a mechanic, I don't understand what a cartridge bearing Cane Creek S-2 for $40 is failing to do that a 110 or CK would do better. They are well machined and hold the bearings securely, and are relatively well sealed. Not sure what else there is to a modern headset.

I think headset design mattered a lot more when the balls were loose and the headset had a locknut.

I agree.
Cane Creek doesn't make the S-2 / S-6 etc anymore but there are plenty still out there.
BUT they do have 2010 110 on sale for 65.00 on thier website.

dave thompson
I'm using a Velo Orange headset on my Milholland. very inexpensive, very high quality and I think it's purdy! http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/headsets/gran-cru-threadless-headset-sealed-bearing-1-1-8-chrome.html

AngryScientist

i agree with this fully.

Spinner
09-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Stronglight headset are built to last and good looking too.

GRAVELBIKE
09-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Cane Creek S-3. No longer made, but easy to find online as dead-stock.

ultraman6970
09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
+1 too, but what is the type of headset the op needs?? For example people loves the old campagnolo threaded headsets but my experience with them is bad, not durability compared with the shimano mid 80s and up designs came up to the market, even modern shimano ones u cant kill them with anything.

There is a bling bling situation too, personally the bling factor of the CC ones doesnt impress me but people say they last a lot, well sold a 25 y/o shimano 105 that was in perfect condition, not even scratches outside.

Cane creek stuff is not bad but again the bling bling situation, are pretty ugly unless u want to get a 110 or a 100 model that was simply beautiful.

But in bling bling factor nothing will compare to the record C era headsets, but durability is questionable if you raced with them, for a show room bike it will eternal.

Omas, edco and others came up with some really good and hard to find headsets too.

If the op is looking for a campy look a like threaded headset the tange campy knock off is pretty nice and well finished.

:)

spacemen3
09-12-2011, 03:34 PM
IRD (Tange) Techno-Glide headsets are a great alternative.

FlashUNC
09-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Never had a problem with Cane Creek headsets.

bfd
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Agree, Jobst in his write up for the Bicycle FAQ summed up what you want in a hs. What CK, CC, Shimano and other have is "angular contact, full ball complement, spherically aligned cartridge bearings. What's common to all of these hs are that they have contact seals, not exposed to weather, to retain grease for life of the bearing....the races are sufficiently reentrant that they snap permanently together with sufficient preload to prevent rocking (fretting) motion perpendicular to the rotational axis. Spherical steel rings, that move as plain bearings against an aluminum housing, support the cartridge bearing to absorb, otherwise damaging, out-of-plane motion while the cartridge bearing does the steering."

link: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/indexed-steering.html

SouthDowns
09-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys, seems like I can't really go too far wrong in terms of performance/price with the established manufacturers like Cane Creek. Then its just a case of finding the right model I'm happy with in terms of looks.

RedRider
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Almost every headset on the market will do the job. The question is what job do you want done? Look at the headset as a necktie. The right one can complete the outfit, dress up a plain suit, or just hang out around your neck. If you are buying a Cannondale Caad10 the FSA headset is fine, fixing up a commuter bike anyone will work, and they will work for many years. If you are building a custom bike a Chris King or Cane Creek 110 is in order.

bicycletricycle
09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
why would you want a headset with "creek" in the name?

Kontact
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
why would you want a headset with "creek" in the name?
Because "Ruth's Chris" has ruined the alternative?

jghall
09-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Lot's of good headsets out there. King, Cane, etc.

I'd throw Acros in the list too.

veloduffer
09-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I believe that Cane Creek holds the patents for the threadless headsets. From humble opinion and anecdotal evidence, I have not seen a non-CK headset fail that was kept in good order (ie not abused). I tend to think we overrate CK headsets, mainly from the 80s and 90s. FSA, Cane Creek, Arcos, Shimano and Campy headsets work well with seemingly no difference in durability and smoothness.

rwsaunders
09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a Cane Creek Solos that came installed on one bike and a Chris King NoThreadSet on another. Both work, both see equal riding time and both have been in service for a few years. I cannot tell the difference, but I like looking at the Chris King. :cool:

GRAVELBIKE
09-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Chris King always maintained that Cane Creek's compression ring wasn't necessary, but as soon as CC's patent ran out, King immediately adopted that design. Coincidence?

Kings were great when they were the only sealed alternative to loose-ball headsets, but now there are plenty of alternatives. I've used both, and to be honest, I prefer Cane Creeks.

hiljentaa
09-13-2011, 12:02 AM
I know this doesn't add much to what has been said and what the OP is looking for, but I always just buy Kings. They work great, and I enjoy supporting US manufacturers whenever possible.

Stan Lee
09-13-2011, 12:50 AM
A Chris King headset on sale. ;)

I agree- if your patient you can find a lightly used King (or 110) on ebay, craigslist or here for around $60 and it will last the lifetime of the bike. I've been a mechanic for 23 years and I don't think I've ever seen a King that needed to be thrown away and I've seen a bunch. The ones that i've seen that are in bad shape have been installed wrong or severely neglected. It's well worth the extra $20 to $30 bucks IMO....

thinpin
09-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Just to throw another player in the ring, I use Hope headsets on my dirtroad and roadbike. They do whats required very well indeed. Nice colours too.
In fact the only HS that failed on me was an IS cane creek, factory installed on a Wilier.

Stan Lee
09-13-2011, 02:48 AM
I have heard excellent things about Hope as well- I don't know where they are as far as price.

thinpin
09-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Hope here (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=19877&Useful=true&ReviewID=239099)

OTB
09-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Ritcheys have worked for me. But agree with above replies, save a few coffees and get a King - new or used.

soulspinner
09-13-2011, 08:22 AM
I have a cane s-8 with 10 k on it, 50ish dollars, 27mm stack-absolutely rock solid in the crap roads of the northeast.....

mudhead
09-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Kings are nice though Cane Creeks are very serviceable

EricEstlund
09-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Just a note- the cups on these are made in NC.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6149493246_ec8ba81b79.jpg

The CC 100 is my default unless someone has a preference (usually for a King). In either case it's pretty win-win and unlikely to ever need replacing.

miguel
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
cc 100 is what i have on one bike
CK is what i have on another

both good headsets

erolorhun
09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
As a mechanic...

Agree more or less. But since the step from a "lesser" headset to a King is relatively small I would save the extra $ or two for that. Timeless elegance and timetested function it is a King for me ten times out of ten