PDA

View Full Version : how often can u do centuries in a given time span?

san
09-11-2011, 11:28 PM
So I havent ridden in over a month and today decided to do a 50 miler that ended up being 90 lol. I plan on riding a 130 mile ride friday in dedication to a friend who wants to do it but due to serious health issues, cannot. My question is, how do i avoid cramps and serious leg fatigue?
I've done a century once before but on a road bike. I plan on doing this one on a fixed gear(w/ brakes of course).
give me input guys!

ultraman6970
09-11-2011, 11:43 PM
100 miles in a fixie??? I would do a metric century 1st if i was you. The issue is that if you are not used to keep the legs moving all the time the kick in the ass you will get is going to be big. Fix gear is nice but is hard at the same time because it demolish you.

Probably even a metric century is hard to do with a fix gear if you arent used to fixy, and im not talking about hills and gearing to use, is hard because you might not used to keep the legs moving and later everything starts hurting... uff that reminds me when i was junior :)

As for gearing thats so relative... some guys use like 48x18 that is not that heavy and not so light... personally I would do it with 42x16 if i had the mileage to do such a thing again. Sure other people will have other opinions but in my case in specific my background is track so move the legs is what always had to master (and mainly because i got used to old school training), a roady will use the fix gears to get some extra cadence and mileage but probably using like 48x18 or more.

As for the cramps, there are some fluids with antioxidants and stuff, I would take 2 bottles, one with water and one with the antioxidants stuff. As for drinking water just take little zips each 15 mins, that way one bottle should last a lot, or just wet your mouth, clean it and spit the water, just zips.

Good luck man :) Will be a good experience and please rest at least 3 days after this adventure :)

goonster
09-12-2011, 01:15 AM
What is your question, again?

The way to avoid cramps is to be in shape and maintain a proper electrolyte balance.

Only you can now if you can do this ride. Depends on the terrain too. If it is flat, take it easy and spin the day away. If there are steep grades, and you haven't been riding (fixed) regularly, you could be in trouble.

LesMiner
09-12-2011, 06:38 AM
To reduce cramps I have seen people take one of those Camel Back tablets straight, no water. Just chew it up and swallow. They claim it works.

Fixed
09-12-2011, 07:23 AM
have someone drive(( a car or motorcycle ) in front of you for the last half company will make the time pass faster
imho
cheers

AngryScientist
09-12-2011, 07:27 AM
if you did 90 on the same bike without too much fatigue, i think you'll be fine for 130. remember the electrolytes, and get off the bike a good few times. if you've got some decent hills to push, take a break partway into the hill to give your legs a break, have fun.

Ray
09-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I last rode a century in 2007. I'm still not ready to do another. Pretty sure it wouldn't go well. So, I'd give it at least four years... :cool:

Seriously, though, back when I was riding a lot and was in shape, I did plenty of long back to back rides. I'm not sure I ever did back to back centuries, but I did tours that were in the 70-90 mile per day range every day for a week or more with at least one century sometime during the week and I managed those alright (although I recall one brutally hot 110 mile ride followed the next day by an insanely hot and hilly 85 and I was dragging some serious ass by the end of that 85).

So its really just what kind of shape you're in and what you're up for. If you're in good enough shape to ride a hard century, you should be able to do two back to back if you just ramp down the intensity a bit and remember to eat and drink well on the bike.

-Ray

dauwhe
09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
There used to be an "easy" version of Boston-Montreal-Boston (750 miles w/ 90-hour time limit) called Quad Centuries. Four days in a row of 125 miles. I was hurting by the last day, but it was fine. The next weekend was the very first D2R2, which was much harder.

I don't do those kinds of things anymore.

gone
09-12-2011, 09:57 AM
I've done 11 back to back centuries and 7-10 back to back numerous times. As others have said, pay attention to electrolytes and refueling. It's really hard doing back to back centuries if you're slow. Being out there 10+ hours gives little time for recovery and you're turning your legs over for a long time. Having said that, I knew someone who typically took 10-11 hours to do a century but did 9 in a row on very hilly terrain. He was 81. :hello: