PDA

View Full Version : Too Tall or others- Nimble wheels?

bcm119
02-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Whats the deal with Nimble wheels- from what I've read they seem pretty great. I'm looking at the Spyders as replacements for old Open Pros. I'd like a nice combination of low weight, comfort, and durability. How do the Spyders measure up to a nicely built pair of open pro/dura ace? I like their humble appearance and non-aero profile.

Sandy
02-12-2004, 12:31 AM
bcm119,

I am having a set of wheels being built using Nimble Spider rims and Dura-Ace 10 speed hubs. The wheels will be 28F and 32R, using Wheelsmith DB 14 spokes on the drive side and XL 14 everywhere else. The rear wheel will be 3X and the front wheel is to be radial laced. BigMac questions the use of radial lacing with Dura-Ace hubs, so I will check into that, but I think it is fine on Dura-Ace 10 as opposed to Dura-Ace 9. Radial lacing should not be used on Dura-Ace 9 and will void the warranty (and could be dangerous also).

The wheels should weigh about 1470 grams, per the wheel builder, Jeremy, at Alchemy Bicycle Works in Sante Fe, New Mexico. I calculated the weights as follows (which does not include rim tape or skewers- I will be using Dura-Ace skewers which come with the wheels):

F Nimble Spider rim 385 grams
R Nimble Spider rim 385 grams
F Dura-Ace 10 speed hub 127 grams
R Dura-Ace 10 speed hub 264 grams
60 spokes (and nipples) at about 5+ grams each, for total of 300

My total is 1461 grams, with the spokes perhaps a few grams more, so about 1470 grams

The Spider rims are considered by Jeremy to be slightly stronger than the Open Pro and much lighter. The Dura-Ace skewers are considered by Jeremy to be as good as you can get. I had considered the Velomax Orion II, but Jeremy thinks these wheels will be stonger, faster, and roll smoother and be more comfortable than the Velomax. I know that he is building the wheels, but I have both trust and confidence in what he says.

Dura-Ace QR skewers weigh 59 grams F and 64 rear.

I hope the above helps. Jeremy's number is 505-699-4307. He is quite articulate, friendly, and helpful. Please let me know if there is anything else that I might be able to tell you, concerning the Nimble rims and wheels.

Spiderman STill Serotta Sandy

Sandy
02-12-2004, 12:34 AM
PS- The wheels, not including freight and packing, are in the $500 range.

Spiderman

Too Tall
02-12-2004, 07:08 AM
It is hard to beat the price, weight and handmade skill of the spider wheelset from Nimble. David and his small team will interview you and determine exactly what spoke configuration is best for you...no extra cost!!!

I think the spider is NOT as strong as the Mavic Open Pro. However, it is strong enough to build up for general office park crit racing and or a snappy training wheel at a low cost.

The the brake surface is quite narrow so you will need to setup your brake blocks carefully. This is not a criticism or a problem...just worth mentioning.

My wife's spider wheel is really well made and holding up GREAT.

Yesterday I rode my new Crosswind tub rear / Fly tub front on my team hill repeat ride. This is a real lung burner that finishes with an 8 mile fast paceline. The wheels are AWESOME!!!! Nimble has done fantastic work making an aero wheelset that handles well in crosswinds. They ride great and are gorgeous to boot.

*Sandy, you void the warranty with radial lacing...big whoop. I have radial XTR , DA and Ultegra wheels that have big miles on them. It saves a few grams....but I do it for the look.

Doh, I'm gushing again. Sorry.

Sandy
02-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your comment about radial lacing. Both you and BigMac have questioned it and each of you are most knowledgeable, to say the least. I will certainly talk to the wheelbuilder about it.

David from Nimble is quite articulate and very helpful, giving extensive explanations on any questions that you might ask.

Once I get my Nimble wheels built, will I be as fast as you or your wife??? Half as fast??? One quarter as fast??? Am I getting close???

So nimble on my bike,

Sandy

Sandy
02-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Can I come over and play with your poodles sometime?

Did you ever think that you are not Too Tall, and perhaps everyone else is simply Too Short? In that case Too Tall would be Just Right.

Too Slow,

STill Serotta Sandy

Jeremy
02-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Just a note about radial lacing and Dura-Ace hubs. In the 7700 series the 24 hole ft hub was rated for radial lacing but not the 28 or 32. The new 7800 series front hubs are all rated for radial lacing and will not void the warranty.

Jeremy.

bcm119
02-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Sandy, just curious as to why you chose Dura Ace hubs instead of the complete Nimble set with their own hubs... was durability a deciding factor factor, maybe serviceability?
Thanks again.

Too Tall
02-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Jeremy....you read? I hate that. Thanks, again I am guilty of spewing unverified facts ;)

Sandy, it is a poodle party dood. Anytime. Beau lives for playtime.

Sandy
02-16-2004, 01:13 PM
bcm119,

I chose the Dura-Ace hubs rather than the hubs that Nimble uses because of a few reasons. First, I have Dura-Ace 9 speed hubs on an Open Pro wheelset that I have on my CSi and the hubs have been excellent- They seem very smooth, quiet, and quite durable, with almost no maintenance necessary for the thousands of miles that they have been used. Secondly, the new Dura-Ace hubs (10 ) are supposedly even better, from what I have been told. Thirdly, the Dura-Ace F hub is supposedly superior to the Nimble in that it has better bearings, is smoother, stiffer, and easier to rebuild. The hub that Nimble uses (American Classic) is much lighter than the Dura-Ace, but that means very little. I was told that the Dura-Ace rear hub has better dish characteristics than that used by Nimble. Finally, I have always heard excellent comments about Dura-Ace hubs.

Hope that helps a little,

Sandy