PDA

View Full Version : Where Should it hurt?

scrooge
07-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Sandy's pain in the butt (or lack thereof) inspired me to ask a question I've been thinking about lately. Simply: Where should it hurt when I ride?

I've noticed that I mainly feel it in my calves and hamstrings (especially the hammies when I raised the seat a bit a few days ago :crap: ). My thought is that it should be spread throughout my legs more--quads, butt, hammies, and calves, but I seem to be missing the first two. In other words, I should think, "My legs are tired," not "my hamstrings are tired". Am I mistaken to think this?

FYI--I have about 12cm of saddle/bar drop. I think my seat height could be higher (Still have more bend in my knee than I'd like (I think)), and my tt is definently too short (shoulders are rolled when I ride--that's what the new bike is for :D ). Anyway, any tips?

e-RICHIE
07-14-2005, 09:18 PM
if you're riding "hurt" or if cycling induces
injury, something is wrong. if you can't
rectify it, you should hire a coach or pay
someone to assess your position. if the
folks here can't decide if lance waited,
didn't wait, or shouldn't wait, they probably
can't get your position dialed in through the
internet. bananas, okay?!
e-RICHIE©™®

scrooge
07-14-2005, 09:30 PM
When you go for a hard/long ride and you're pooped at the end, should you "feel it" in a particular set of muscles if your position is correct, or should it just be a more general throbbing?
To look at from another general angle, what adjustments might affect various muscle groups in different ways. For example, would raising the seat put more stress on the hamstrings, quads, or make no real difference to those specifics? Would sliding the seat back work the glutes more, or just work the entire legs differently etc. Just generalities here--not asking anyone to dail in my position over the internet.