PDA

View Full Version : Am I asking too much?

Mr Cabletwitch
09-11-2011, 10:21 AM
So I have been very loyal to a local bike shop for 5 years or so since I picked up cycling again, I even bought my first real mountain bike there more than 10 years ago. Anyway I like the place, I even went to high school with the guy that owns it. So I dropped off a set of 7400 Dura ace hubs, and some good condition Mavic Open CD4s, I asked to have them laced with Double butted spokes, and blue alloy nipples. I dropped them off on 8-19. I was told that if I got lucky I'd have them the next week early, but probably not til the end of the week. Its now almost 4 weeks later and I still don't have my wheels (although the rear one is done) I asked him to make sure he had the spokes when I dropped the wheels off, but when he got to building them 2 weeks after I dropped them off he realized he needed front spokes. The spokes came in on Friday and today he left for Interbike. So long story short it looks like its going to be at best a few days shy of 5 weeks.

I don't get it, I buy 80% of all my gear from them, he builds all my wheels and does a hell of a job. Last time I needed wheels built he directed me to the prebuilt stan's (which work wonderfully though). Does he not want me as a customer or is he just sick of building wheels?

Also do you think I should just go pick up my wheels on Monday unfinished and either learn to lace a front wheel myself or take them to another shop that can have it done in a couple days?

rugbysecondrow
09-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I bet his relationship with you might let him think he can make you a lower priority.

beer_meister
09-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Pick up and take elsewhere. Over four weeks is ridiculous. Owner should have come in on his day off and finished if necessary.

Fixed
09-11-2011, 10:42 AM
http://www.erapro.com/Road_Bike_and_Frames_s/1.htm
this looks like a good shop
cheers

Mr Cabletwitch
09-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Is it reasonable of me to consider building the front wheel myself. I'm rather handy and wheel building is the last thing I need to check off my list. Also does anybody know of a good spoke length calculator and if its easier to lace radially or 1x.

NRRider
09-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Your original post doesn't mention whether and the extent to which you've expressed your annoyance with the situation. If you've already told him you're pissed and even after that he still hasn't come through, then I'd pick them up and take elsewhere. I agree he seems to be abusing the relationship.

beer_meister
09-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Here yah go:

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74564

dekindy
09-11-2011, 11:33 AM
It appears that spoke availability is holding up the build. Unless you believe that someone else had the spokes in stock or would have obtained them sooner or could have cut spokes for you, then there is no problem.

Mr Cabletwitch
09-11-2011, 11:43 AM
It appears that spoke availability is holding up the build. Unless you believe that someone else had the spokes in stock or would have obtained them sooner or could have cut spokes for you, then there is no problem.

In all fairness I never told him I was in a hurry (which I wasn't). It wasn't that the spokes weren't available it was that nobody ordered them as far as I can tell. I have a friend that is going to loan me a trueing stand so I might just take this one on myself assuming that he does have the correct length spokes there.

SEABREEZE
09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Speak with your friend man to man, let him know your fillings you posted here, Wait for his responce, once you heard responce decide your next chess move.

Louis
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Unless you needed them for a specific race / ride / event and gave him a drop-dead date by which they had to be done, I would chalk this up to "sometimes stuff happens to change our plans," and let it go. Sounds like you are otherwise quite happy with them and have a good relationship.

The last wheels I had built by my LBS took at least three times longer than originally discussed, but I was not in a rush so it was no big deal.

Fivethumbs
09-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I bet his relationship with you might let him think he can make you a lower priority.

+1 on this. I have had similar experiences with friends in other kinds of businesses. My stuff got the lowest priority. It reminds me of an old saying my dad used to tell me, "Only your friends will screw you because you'll never give your enemies the chance."

1centaur
09-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I think it's not unusual for a shop owner to feel a customer like you is a solid relationship and therefore can be deprioritized against things that must be done first or bad consequences will happen. Kind of like a marriage. It can be a bummer to have to fight for your good relationships as hard as your weak relationships. As in a marriage, the trick to getting back on track is to tell the other party what you require. In this case, you made an assumption the wheels would be back to you in X period. Next time, figure out what X is and let the shop know that up front. So, the problem is a combination of mutual assumptions that did not turn out to be correct. Very human and very normal. I would not load up the relationship with the negative feedback from this transaction, I'd just build the right expectations into the next transaction.

biker72
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Speak with your friend man to man and let him know you're very upset. Make a decision on his response.

Its one week to build a set of wheels where I work assuming some of the parts have to be ordered. Otherwise 3 days max in the summer and 2 days in the off season.

JD Smith
09-11-2011, 02:07 PM
So I have been very loyal to a local bike shop for 5 years or so since I picked up cycling again, I even bought my first real mountain bike there more than 10 years ago. Anyway I like the place, I even went to high school with the guy that owns it. So I dropped off a set of 7400 Dura ace hubs, and some good condition Mavic Open CD4s, I asked to have them laced with Double butted spokes, and blue alloy nipples. I dropped them off on 8-19. I was told that if I got lucky I'd have them the next week early, but probably not til the end of the week. Its now almost 4 weeks later and I still don't have my wheels (although the rear one is done) I asked him to make sure he had the spokes when I dropped the wheels off, but when he got to building them 2 weeks after I dropped them off he realized he needed front spokes. The spokes came in on Friday and today he left for Interbike. So long story short it looks like its going to be at best a few days shy of 5 weeks.

I don't get it, I buy 80% of all my gear from them, he builds all my wheels and does a hell of a job. Last time I needed wheels built he directed me to the prebuilt stan's (which work wonderfully though). Does he not want me as a customer or is he just sick of building wheels?

Also do you think I should just go pick up my wheels on Monday unfinished and either learn to lace a front wheel myself or take them to another shop that can have it done in a couple days?

Four weeks is enough time to mine the ore, process it into stainless, manufacturer the spokes, and build the wheels. Those Mavic rims and those DA hubs call for a VERY common spoke length, nothing unusual, nothing any good shop shouldn't have in stock.
You're a regular customer, and unless you're leaving out some communication you had with him, he's blowing it, blowing it off. His heart isn't in it.
The original shop may have made an honest mistake in thinking customers should be made to wait weeks and weeks for wheel builds. Just how long do they think a customer waits before getting annoyed? Do them a favor and enlighten them.
Pick them up from the shop and take them somewhere else. Tell the other shop the entire story and see how they react. A good shop will jump at this opprotunity and do everything they can to get you the wheel within 24 hours. I know from my own experience, anytime an rock solid opportunity comes up to show up another shop, I'm all over it.
Offer no explanation to the original shop owner. If he asks or indicates he's concerned about having not treated you well, that's a good sign. If he says nothing, then he doesn't give a crap.

Louis
09-11-2011, 02:19 PM
All I can say, is that I'm glad none of my customers treat me this way.

Four weeks is enough time to mine the ore, process it into stainless, manufacturer the spokes, and build the wheels. Those Mavic rims and those DA hubs call for a VERY common spoke length, nothing unusual, nothing any good shop shouldn't have in stock.
You're a regular customer, and unless you're leaving out some communication you had with him, he's blowing it, blowing it off. His heart isn't in it.
The original shop may have made an honest mistake in thinking customers should be made to wait weeks and weeks for wheel builds. Just how long do they think a customer waits before getting annoyed? Do them a favor and enlighten them.
Pick them up from the shop and take them somewhere else. Tell the other shop the entire story and see how they react. A good shop will jump at this opprotunity and do everything they can to get you the wheel within 24 hours. I know from my own experience, anytime an rock solid opportunity comes up to show up another shop, I'm all over it.
Offer no explanation to the original shop owner. If he asks or indicates he's concerned about having not treated you well, that's a good sign. If he says nothing, then he doesn't give a crap.

JD Smith
09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
All I can say, is that I'm glad none of my customers treat me this way.
Do you treat your customers the way the OP has been treated? What kind of turnaround time does it take you to build a common set of wheels?

Louis
09-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Do you treat your customers the way the OP has been treated? What kind of turnaround time does it take you to build a common set of wheels?

I'm not an LBS, but I do provide a service to other groups and folks at work whom I consider to be my "customers."

Sometimes schedules don't work out the way you expected them to and stuff doesn't get done when promised. Priorities change, unexpected jobs come up, dates move around, but there are still only 24 hrs in a day. I assume things are much the same for a LBS.

CNY rider
09-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm not an LBS, but I do provide a service to other groups and folks at work whom I consider to be my "customers."

Sometimes schedules don't work out the way you expected them to and stuff doesn't get done when promised. Priorities change, unexpected jobs come up, dates move around, but there are still only 24 hrs in a day. I assume things are much the same for a LBS.

Look, "stuff" happens.

Who knows what the "stuff" is in this case. Maybe one of his mechanics stopped showing up for work. Maybe his kid is home sick. Who knows.
But if you value your relationship the least you could do is talk to him man to man and express your displeasure. Don't just grab your stuff and leave in a huff without talking to the guy.

If he's a stand up guy you will find that out and if he's really smart he will make it worth your while to come back again in the future.

DHallerman
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Exactly.

But that's why communication counts for a lot...at least for me.

If the shop had told the OP what's what, as time went along -- updated him at least once a week, or even more often as details came up -- I bet it would be a smoother situation.

It's the not doing, combined with the not talking, that drives me crazy.

Aaron O
09-11-2011, 03:47 PM

I've been in a similar situation several times with a local shop in Philly...they do fantastic work, but they sure do take their time. I spend a fair deal of coin in there and sometimes I find myself getting aggravated that things are taking longer than they initially estimated, or then I think is reasonable, but at the end of the day, the relationship with the shop is important to me and they really do phenomenal work.

This is why having multiple bikes is a good idea...wait it out, let him do it right and pick it up when it's done. Good mechanics are hard to find, especially with wheels. I'd give him some room because he's valuable.

cat6
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Prior to moving I had an "in" at a few local shops. When I really needed something I'd say something like "hate to ask, but the sooner the better on this, I have a <insert important ride>". When it was for an incomplete project you say "no rush, this is for <insert random project>".

As a customer you dictate the sense of urgency. Explaining your expectations is not pushy. It's cliche but communication is key. Only if you've expressed your expectations and he failed to me them should you be upset.

FWIW, unless he's been rude I'd not sever the relationship, just explain your sense of urgency and take it from there.

Frankwurst
09-11-2011, 05:40 PM
The last two sets of wheels (it makes three by him because they are bullet proof) I had built by Jim Thill at Hiawatha Cyclerey. Delivery was inside of a week. They are wheels for cryin out loud. You've been more than patient and waited way to long. PU the goods and move on. Find someone, or do it yourself. :beer:

Peter P.
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Here's what usually happens: Your service order for the wheel build is put in chronological order with the rest of the repairs. After that week goes by and it's time to build the wheels AND ONLY THEN, does someone check to see if the spokes are in stock or need to be ordered. Now the REAL delay begins.

It's been my shop experience that no shop has a "triage" of repairs and other work when it's signed in, so that parts can be ordered and arrive when the true repair work is scheduled.

And since cycling is such a seasonal business like skiing, I don't feel it's unreasonable to expect turnarounds of repairs in a week or less. I know this sounds counterintuitive and expensive for the industry, but overtime in the repair department should be the norm to keep things on schedule. Charge the customers accordingly.

Yeah; taking the wheels from the shop incomplete is sorta rude unless you NEED them for an event. If you can, wait for both wheels to be finished, then take your friend to a private spot and express your disatisfaction. If you can't wait, then pay for the work performed and the second set of spokes, kindly explain you can't wait any longer and the time you waited was already longer than promised, and go elsewhere.

forrestw
09-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Here's what usually happens: Your service order for the wheel build is put in chronological order with the rest of the repairs. After that week goes by and it's time to build the wheels AND ONLY THEN, does someone check to see if the spokes are in stock or need to be ordered. Now the REAL delay begins.
+1

rustychisel
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Don't burn the relationship from your end over some wheels, there could be a good explanation or two, but five weeks is stretching the point.

I know, because I'm like that, that I'd have been there after two weeks saying "are those wheels built yet?" and I'd have been there a week later repeating the question.

Mr Cabletwitch
09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
After the first 2 weeks I've asked him at least every 4 or 5 days what the status is. Its already been 2 weeks since he told me he needed to order the spokes. One thing to remember is we have been dealing with a bit of flooding, but I know the shop got no water and his home just had water in the basement like everybody else (me too). I just don't understand why it wasn't made a priority to get it done before interbike.

Part of the problem is that I don't need them for a race, but you know what my money is as green as the guy that needs to have a part for a race, they don't have a problem calling me when a team guy needs a part they know I have. I just love to ride and I like shiny new things, and I like handbuilt wheels over the cookie cutter racer wannabe wheels I'm using now. I just want my stuff and I want it in a reasonable time. The last frame I ordered (April 11) took an extra week because of a "billing issue". The last set of wheels were a 100 bucks over what I was quoted. This stuff is driving me nuts I just feel like I get put on the back burner because I'm a mile grinder, not a racer. . :crap: I can't afford to have as many bikes as I used to so I need my stuff back. It sucks being broke, but I'm still willing to pay for a service.

rugbysecondrow
09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
you might have already done this but I would have a frank conversation with him, then go from there. Let him know that if things don't improve, you will be forced to go elsewhere.

rustychisel
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
you might have already done this but I would have a frank conversation with him, then go from there. Let him know that if things don't improve, you will be forced to go elsewhere.

yeah, + 1

And learning to build your own wheels will be a very sweet experience. As will riding on the wheels you build and realising you've done a damn fine job.

markie
09-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I was once between lbs's and ordered some wheels from speedgoat. They took 7 weeks to arrive. The wheels are great and it was worth the wait, but....I guess stuff happens and sometimes things take a while.

fogrider
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
After the first 2 weeks I've asked him at least every 4 or 5 days what the status is. Its already been 2 weeks since he told me he needed to order the spokes. One thing to remember is we have been dealing with a bit of flooding, but I know the shop got no water and his home just had water in the basement like everybody else (me too). I just don't understand why it wasn't made a priority to get it done before interbike.

Part of the problem is that I don't need them for a race, but you know what my money is as green as the guy that needs to have a part for a race, they don't have a problem calling me when a team guy needs a part they know I have. I just love to ride and I like shiny new things, and I like handbuilt wheels over the cookie cutter racer wannabe wheels I'm using now. I just want my stuff and I want it in a reasonable time. The last frame I ordered (April 11) took an extra week because of a "billing issue". The last set of wheels were a 100 bucks over what I was quoted. This stuff is driving me nuts I just feel like I get put on the back burner because I'm a mile grinder, not a racer. . :crap: I can't afford to have as many bikes as I used to so I need my stuff back. It sucks being broke, but I'm still willing to pay for a service.
really!?! come on, stuff is stuff, if it works, get out and ride. as some has said, stuff happens, there are real problems that we all have to deal with.

Bob Loblaw
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Shizzle happens, but IMO four weeks is inexcusable for a set of wheels. For an experienced wheelbuilder with the parts at hand, that's 1.5 - 2 hours of work to lace, tension and true.

If LBS's want to compete against the Internet and the abundance of inexpensive, lightweight factory wheels, the battle-cry has to be "customer service!!"

BL

Mr Cabletwitch
09-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't know whats going on down there? I went to pick up my stuff so I could lace them, and I couldn't find my front rim or hub... Found the rim in the recycling, and my hub on a shelf. I gotta go back later today to get the right length spokes. I'm a little taken back by finding my rim in the recycling. Considering that the guy that was working on my rim is gone all week, I highly doubt that rim was going to still be there when he got back. I got the hub, wrong spokes, and nipples to build the front wheel, so I go back later today to get the right length spokes and hopefully build myself a front wheel tonight. I'm just going to lace it radially to make it easy. I have to say thats the last time I go to this shop for repair work.

LouDeeter
09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Since you already have committed to the length of spokes for radial spoking, I guess you are heading that direction. Personally, I would lace them the way I wanted and if that meant it was a little harder, I would take it as a learning experience. Getting the right dish, roundness, then final spoke tensioning and true can be a fun experience or it can be a nightmare. Good luck.

tuxbailey
09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't know whats going on down there? I went to pick up my stuff so I could lace them, and I couldn't find my front rim or hub... Found the rim in the recycling, and my hub on a shelf.

That is a little disconcerting.

jet sanchez
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't know whats going on down there? I went to pick up my stuff so I could lace them, and I couldn't find my front rim or hub... Found the rim in the recycling, and my hub on a shelf. I gotta go back later today to get the right length spokes. I'm a little taken back by finding my rim in the recycling. Considering that the guy that was working on my rim is gone all week, I highly doubt that rim was going to still be there when he got back. I got the hub, wrong spokes, and nipples to build the front wheel, so I go back later today to get the right length spokes and hopefully build myself a front wheel tonight. I'm just going to lace it radially to make it easy. I have to say thats the last time I go to this shop for repair work.

Yup, sever.

Mr Cabletwitch
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I actually got the right length spoke to do 1x lacing which was what the wheel was supposed to be, although they aren't black I think I'll do it anyway.

rugbysecondrow
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Delays are one thing, but plain ol' sloppiness are another. Although bikes aren't rocket science, they require some focus and attention to detail for safe riding. If this shop is sloppy like this, then I would question some other details as well.

Like a dirty restaurant, if it looks dirty in the dinning room, imagine the kitchen... :eek:

ultratoad
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Wow! That is totally ugly.... If I was the shop owner I would want to hear from you.... My livelihood is in your hands.... If he is appropriately receptive he will make you a priority and do something in addition to make things right.... If he blows you off-- it's time to find a new shop.... Honest and direct is always best....

Kontact
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
3 days (max) to get spokes, 1 hour of labor. 4+ weeks does not compute.

Sometimes it is a pain being friends with someone who provides service to you, because you can't tell them that they are screwing up as easily.

Mr Cabletwitch
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Well it was a slow day at work today so I got the wheel laced up 1x crossing, it looks cool, now I just need to get the tension up and I hope to have a wheel. :hello:

I was never friends with the guy in high school, but I liked giving him my business seeing as we grew up in the same small town at the same time and crossed paths enough times. I'm starting to wonder if they want to get rid of me for some reason

RedRider
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I've been on both sides of the service desk and have followed this thread all day. The Dura Ace hubs are a few years old and I'm guessing the rims had a bit of mileage too. Perhaps the mechanic noticed a crack or other structural issue and that's why they were in recycling. Communication is key here. Before you build these wheels seek out answers. Also, If you've never built a wheel before have a builder check it out when you are done. Lacing is the easy part...

Mr Cabletwitch
09-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Finished the wheel up, actually used the truing stand in the shop to get it close then brought it home and finished it in my home made stand. I've trued hundreds of wheels just never actually built one before. It was honestly a piece of cake, but 1x 32 hole is pretty easy. Its not like I had to do any type of dishing. I'll ride it tomorrow to test. The only crappy part is that the front spokes are silver and the back are black, but I honestly don't care. I built the front, and in all honestly I wouldn't have done it if I didn't get pressured into it, I feel better. I'll pay for the rear wheel assembly and the spokes and nipples and chalk it up to another thing I learned. I may actually try and replace an open pro on the rear wheel of a wheelset that has a nasty hop.

I guess I'm over it, where else was I going to get the opportunity to build a wheel. I still need to visit that shop because its closest to my house and when I need some tubes or other parts its close. Oh well...

oldpotatoe
09-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Send the stuff to me and I'll turn them around in 5 days.....but really, I think the 'under promised, over delivered method is the best idea. Say what the time frame will be and stick to it. If the gent can't, he should call and say why. A wheelbuilder that doesn't have spokes makes me scratch my head. Maybe he is tired of building wheels, for me, it's the most interesting and fulfilling thing I do in my bike shop..followed by pro builds(3 this week-2 Moots, Waterford, all with Chorus, Record hubs, DT 465/415 rims, nice)

oldpotatoe
09-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Pick up and take elsewhere. Over four weeks is ridiculous. Owner should have come in on his day off and finished if necessary.

What he said.......but an owner with a 'day off', what is that? A 'day off'?.....

oldpotatoe
09-13-2011, 08:05 AM
I think it's not unusual for a shop owner to feel a customer like you is a solid relationship and therefore can be deprioritized against things that must be done first or bad consequences will happen. Kind of like a marriage. It can be a bummer to have to fight for your good relationships as hard as your weak relationships. As in a marriage, the trick to getting back on track is to tell the other party what you require. In this case, you made an assumption the wheels would be back to you in X period. Next time, figure out what X is and let the shop know that up front. So, the problem is a combination of mutual assumptions that did not turn out to be correct. Very human and very normal. I would not load up the relationship with the negative feedback from this transaction, I'd just build the right expectations into the next transaction.

If this comes up and the customer says, whenever ya get to it, I still look at the appointment/work sked and tell him the day I will do it, makes sure I have anything I need that day and then do it.....it's not rocket surgery.

oldpotatoe
09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=Peter P.]Here's what usually happens: Your service order for the wheel build is put in chronological order with the rest of the repairs. After that week goes by and it's time to build the wheels AND ONLY THEN, does someone check to see if the spokes are in stock or need to be ordered. Now the REAL delay begins.

It's been my shop experience that no shop has a "triage" of repairs and other work when it's signed in, so that parts can be ordered and arrive when the true repair work is scheduled.END QUOTE

They are wheels that use a common length of spoke, 293/295/296...see hubs, see rims, check spokes, see you need 'um, write them on the order list...have spokes when it's time to build the wheel.

Look at bike, see the brakepads, chainrings and chain(measured) are worn out, make sure you have the CR, chains, cogsets, brake pads, write them down if ya don't, have them when the repair is due.

Some big shops have service writers, that's their job. Little places like mine DO the triage gig..it's not hard. BUT if it's going to be delayed, get on that old fashioned thing called a 'telephone' and communicate, it is the key to tactical airpower...afterall.

Yikes and people wonder why bikes shops are going under. Generally not for lack of business..most commit suicide.