PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Make a Shoe Choice...

buldogge
09-11-2011, 12:15 AM
OK...So, I'm looking for some new lighter shoes. I ride SPD-M. Currently have a pair of Specialized Sonomas and a pair of Specialized Comp Roads. I don't like the combo of road soles and spd cleats...so...looking for MTB shoes.

What do you guys think of the following shoes (direct experiences appreciated):

Specialized Pro MTB @ $150
Giro Code @ $160
Giro Gauge @ $124
Specialized Expert MTB @ $175

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

6mt
09-11-2011, 12:18 AM
the new Giro are nice (looks nice that is.) sadly, the fit disagree with my feet.

personally, I'd recommend Mavic. very comfy, and great looking shoes, and durable as well.

buldogge
09-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Any certain model to look at...CF sole, light...???

TA
-Mark

the new Giro are nice (looks nice that i.) sadly, the fit disagree with my feet.

personally, I'd recommend Mavic. very comfy, and great looking shoes, and durable as well.

Louis
09-11-2011, 12:32 AM
In my experience I have a hard time buying shoes online (or here on the forum) - unless they use a last that I already know works for me, like Sidi 45. Most of the time they just don't fit right.

If you're trying something completely new my suggestion would be to try it on and buy it locally. That way you have a much better chance of spending your money on something that will actually fit well. I was patient and found what I wanted on sale at Mesa and A-1 at prices that were very competitive compared to online.

Good luck - riding is way better in comfy shoes.

buldogge
09-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Hey Louis... I know the Specialized work. No Giro shoe dealers in the STL strangely enough...

-Mark

In my experience I have a hard time buying shoes online (or here on the forum) - unless they use a last that I already know works for me, like Sidi 45. Most of the time they just don't fit right.

If you're trying something completely new my suggestion would be to try it on and buy it locally. That way you have a much better chance of spending your money on something that will actually fit well. I was patient and found what I wanted on sale at Mesa and A-1 at prices that were very competitive compared to online.

Stan Lee
09-11-2011, 03:35 AM
I have a pair of the Specialized Experts and they work great.

6mt
09-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Any certain model to look at...CF sole, light...???

TA
-MarkMavic Fury (http://www.mavic.com/en/product/footwear/mountain-bike/footwear/Fury)

NeauDL
09-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Have you tried cleats designed for road shoes, i. e. SM-SH-70 (fixed) or SM-SH-71 (with float)? These eliminate the problem of foot tipping over because the mountain cleats are so narrow. I've used SH-70s for several years with Icon, Ritchey and Xpedo variants of Shimano double-sided mountain SPD pedals, on both Specialized and SIDI road shoes, and highly recommend them with modern Shimano (not knockoff) SPD pedals which really eject your foot when the shoe is rotated. The pontoons on the SH-70 are tall enough that the metal cleat should not touch the floor when you walk, although I wouldn't take a chance with my wife's hardwood floors. My local shops don't carry these cleats but you can get them from speedgoat, excelsports, or other online retailers for $25-30 bucks.

chromopromo
09-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I just ordered a pair of the Giro Coda's online because I was given a 50% off coupon. I can give you an update in a week or so. They are light and came highly recommended but I am not sure about the fit. They may end up going back.

pdmtong
09-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Have you tried cleats designed for road shoes, i. e. SM-SH-70 (fixed) or SM-SH-71 (with float)? These eliminate the problem of foot tipping over because the mountain cleats are so narrow. I've used SH-70s for several years with Icon, Ritchey and Xpedo variants of Shimano double-sided mountain SPD pedals, on both Specialized and SIDI road shoes, and highly recommend them with modern Shimano (not knockoff) SPD pedals which really eject your foot when the shoe is rotated. The pontoons on the SH-70 are tall enough that the metal cleat should not touch the floor when you walk, although I wouldn't take a chance with my wife's hardwood floors. My local shops don't carry these cleats but you can get them from speedgoat, excelsports, or other online retailers for $25-30 bucks.

I had the sm-sh-71 a long time ago on the compatible 2 bolt shimano cleat/pedal. found the exit rotation inconsistent....today's spd-sl is much much better

veloduffer
09-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Take a look at the Bontrager RXL mtb shoe - its very light, as it has more mesh than any other mtb shoe, but with a good stiff sole. I bought a pair this year to get something lighter and breathed better (previous shoes were Sidi Dominators and Shimano). IMHO, just as good as a road shoe. Also, the toe box is wider than Shimano and Sidi.

I stopped using my road shoes when I got back into cycling, as I'm not racing and prefer the ability to walk if the ride takes a break.

dekindy
09-12-2011, 09:30 AM

My sentiments exactly. Put the shoes on and lift both your heels slightly off the ground and hold. If you hold for a long time then it will either not hurt or it will start hurting somewhere. If the latter, try a different model or brand. The last shape is the key.