PDA

View Full Version : Eggbeaters or XT for CX

mso
09-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Looking to replace my Frogs on my CX/Commuter/Travel Bike. I'm thinking Eggbeaters or Shimano XT/XTR's. I've been told that riding long distance with the Eggbeaters/XT might cause discomfort as the pedal is smaller and can leads to a hot spot on your foot. Basically has to do with small platform? Any truth to this? Would the Eggbeater Candy be a better choice than just the Eggbeater?

gdw
09-10-2011, 04:16 PM
"I've been told that riding long distance with the Eggbeaters/XT might cause discomfort as the pedal is smaller and can leads to a hot spot on your foot. Basically has to do with small platform? Any truth to this? Would the Eggbeater Candy be a better choice than just the Eggbeater?"

Any one of the three pedals you mentioned will work well for commuting or long road rides. Poor fitting shoes or models with too soft/too hard soles are to blame for almost all the complaints of hot spots and not the pedals. If the shoes you're currently using didn't cause problems with your old pedals then they should work well with whichever design you choose to replace them.

Ken Robb
09-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I get no hotspots from my Eggbeaters and they are almost impervious to mud in my limited experience with it. OTOH pedals with some kind of platform let me pedal better if I miss clicking in the first time. I don't care much about weight but it's hard to imagine a pedal/cleat system that weighs less.

shankldu
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
i have been riding with eb's for years on road and mud not hotspost because cycling shoes have hard soles yu can feel the diff from most pedals.

dave thompson
09-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Michelle, my wife uses XT pedals/cleats for all her riding including long multi-day trips. The key is correct shoes for you.

You guys having fun still?

oldpotatoe
09-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Looking to replace my Frogs on my CX/Commuter/Travel Bike. I'm thinking Eggbeaters or Shimano XT/XTR's. I've been told that riding long distance with the Eggbeaters/XT might cause discomfort as the pedal is smaller and can leads to a hot spot on your foot. Basically has to do with small platform? Any truth to this? Would the Eggbeater Candy be a better choice than just the Eggbeater?

XT or Time MTB pedals. Seen too many warranty, service issues with eggbeater.

mso
09-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Michelle, my wife uses XT pedals/cleats for all her riding including long multi-day trips. The key is correct shoes for you.

You guys having fun still?

Hi Dave,

Loving our time on the road, having lots of FUN and already planning the next trip. We may be passing through your area next year :hello:

djg21
09-10-2011, 08:07 PM
XT or Time MTB pedals. Seen too many warranty, service issues with eggbeater.

Putting aside Crank Bros.' quality issues, some have had problems engaging and exiting egg beaters, Candies, etc. I've used both , and had to go at my soles with a dremel to clear out room around the cleat so I could get them to engage. I've since sold all my Crank Bros. pedals, and returned to Shimano pedals which actually work!