PDA

View Full Version : Bliss

zank
07-14-2005, 03:35 PM
In addition to thoroughly enjoying Le Tour over the past two weeks, I have also been fortunate enough to spend some quality miles on my first new road bike in 7 years. I just wanted to share some thoughts because a number of the parts I chose were influenced by all of your opinions.

First, I need to start by saying that new components make a world of difference. Since I figure I will not build another bike for myself for another 7 or 8 years, I put up the dough for Record except for the derailleurs, which are Chorus. I couldn’t justify the added cost of Record derailleurs for what I perceive to be little to no technical advantage. I can not believe how smooth the drivetrain is compared to my old bike. I know it is likely just new-bike euphoria, but I feel like I can keep it in one smaller cog on the rollers and shorter climbs than before. I am also really impressed with how quick this stuff shifts. It feels so much faster than I remember my old 9-speed stuff was when it was new. I have test ridden customer bikes with new components, but spending 80 miles on the new stuff is a little different than a quick 2 or 3 miles!

After reading opinions from the group, I decided to go with Ritchey WCS Classic bars in the shallow drop. The last bike I owned that had a Cinelli shallow bar was a 1982 Benotto. I haven’t had a set of non-anatomic bars in 12 years, and I forgot what I was missing. I absolutely love these bars. They just feel so natural to me. I am definitely replacing the WCS anatomic bars on my cross bike with a set of these.

Also on recommendation from e-Richie and some board members was a set of wheels from Mr. Joe Young. These are actually on loan to me from a customer, but he is a good friend and is letting me ride them until I get a set for myself. He built up a set of Record hubs with Velocity Aerohead rims (OC in the rear). They are so unbelievably smooth. Joe is the master for sure, and quite a pleasure to work with. After 400 miles over the past 2 weeks, they are running perfectly true. I will probably build a set of tubular wheels, but haven’t quite decided on the build yet. I may even hit up the Jerk for a set of Dugast Silks if he thinks I am worthy.

I also picked up a Polar CS200cad computer (after waiting for it for quite some time). I would say this is one of the best cycling products I have ever purchased. Wireless speed and cadence combined with heart rate in a very small package. It took a little time to get used to scrolling through the features, but now it makes complete sense. Well engineered for sure. If you are in the market for a new HRM or computer, I suggest checking it out.

I pretty much just lurk here, but I wanted to pass along a word of thanks. I never would have thought of the bars, and I would probably be riding some pre-builts from Wheelsmith or something. It certainly wouldn’t have been bad, but it makes riding just that much sweeter.

GO LANCE!

weisan
07-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Maybe I am missing sumthin' ....so what's the new road bike that you got??

zank
07-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Well, I am trying to play fair in the Serotta forum and I don't want to upset anyone. It is a frame and fork that I built. I hope it is OK to say that it is graced with Richie-Issimo lugs!

e-RICHIE
07-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, I am trying to play fair in the Serotta forum and I don't want to upset anyone. It is a frame and fork that I built. I hope it is OK to say that it is graced with Richie-Issimo lugs!

yeah i can dig it.
e-RICHIE©™®

dirtdigger88
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM

please!!!!- Like anyone will care that its not a Serotta- post a damn picture of the bike

Jason

zank
07-14-2005, 04:45 PM
OK, I guess I will take my chances. Here are some pics. I was in Gloucester over the 4th weekend, and couldn't resist the scenery.

weisan
07-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Wow, what breath-taking scenery!!! :rolleyes: :D :p Thanks Zank-pal. Now, you are under arrest for violation of code 120329.92392.923092

weisan
07-14-2005, 04:53 PM
OOOOOOOOO....UUHHHH....................and I noticed those Bad A$$ Adjuster Thingies (BATS) from KIrk-iSSimmO.

zank
07-14-2005, 04:56 PM
BATS rule...Thank you, Dave Kirk!!

dirtdigger88
07-14-2005, 04:56 PM
very very nice- now I think you need to post these pix in the image gallery for all to enjoy forever and ever-

Love the bike

Jason

vaxn8r
07-14-2005, 04:57 PM
That is a sweet looking ride. Nicely done.

BTW, the stem is jusssst right. ;)

zank
07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
we'll see if the Jerk approves

Sandy
07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
The bike is beautiful.
The color is beautiful.
The lugs are beautiful
I ain't so beautiful.

The front wheel really looks much bigger than the rear. Take a look at the picture.

The Jerk shoud approve.

Sandy

Chief
07-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Nice looking bike--congratulations. You should be proud. Is the kickstand by Mother Nature?

chrisroph
07-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Looks great. BTW, I have a set of ritchey wcs classics 44 ridden once if you are interested. They don't fit.

zank
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
The front wheel really looks much bigger than the rear. Take a look at the picture.

Sandy
That's why it always feels like I am going uphill! I am going to talk to Joe about that one...

William
07-15-2005, 05:10 AM
Nice job Zank!! :cool:

William