PDA

View Full Version : I need Sugino crank help

d.vader123
09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm looking into getting a Sugino triple crank, and there are two models I'm considering.

The first one is the XD2 46/36/24.
http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/sugino-xd2/12-190

The second is the XD-600 48/36/26.
http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_128_135_772&products_id=695

The webpage for the second option has the following description.
"Aluminum rings are ramped/pinned for improved shifting"

This is contrasted with the description from the first webpage.
"Rings are plain and simple; no ramps or pins."

My goal is to have a crankset that is of good quality. I would like to know your opinons on which is better of the two and why.

Thank you!

dave thompson
09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Aside from the gearing differences, the first one without shifting ramps and pins is intended for down tube/bar end friction shifting while the second one with the ramps and pins is intended for indexed shifting. The first one will really be crappy if you are using 'brifters' while the second will work with both friction and indexed shifting.

Both cranksets are good quality, each has it's own uses.

Frankwurst
09-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I have both but for me it really makes no difference as I don't use or have any intentions of using brifters but with bar cons or dt shifters they both are fine. If I used brifters I'd take Daves advice and go with the ramped and pinned 600's. They're both good quality cranksets. :beer:

Ralph
09-09-2011, 04:38 PM
http://00eda5d.netsolhost.com/cranks.html

How about these Sugino triples? Steel small ring a smart choice for a ring that small. I've dealt with Greg at Bicycle Classics before. Bought the beauiful 34-48 Sugino compact. Stand up guy.

EricEstlund
09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Both links show pinned rings. I'm pretty sure the arms are the same for both- call to see what configuration both are currently sold as by each vendor.

d.vader123
09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Aside from the gearing differences, the first one without shifting ramps and pins is intended for down tube/bar end friction shifting while the second one with the ramps and pins is intended for indexed shifting. The first one will really be crappy if you are using 'brifters' while the second will work with both friction and indexed shifting.

Both cranksets are good quality, each has it's own uses.Thank you. I'm planning to use friction downtube shifter. Are you suggesting that I should get the first one, from the rivendell website?

I was a bit confused because you said that the second crankset with the ramps and pins are for indexed shifting but immediately after you say that it's appropriate for both friction and indexed shifting.

Just wanting some clarity.

Ken Robb
09-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Indexed shifting really needs "shift aids" like ramps and pins. Friction doesn't and, in fact, may be better without them because less trimming is required. Ramps/pins grab the chain encouraging it to move from one ring to the next so if you move the lever a wee bit more than necessary the chain may try to ghost shift. Plain rings require slightly more movement of the lever to make the shift but once the chain settles on the new ring (probably the middle) it requires a definite move of the lever to make another shift.

I have both types and it's easy to adapt to either on a 7 speed system. More cogs might be more finicky due to tighter spacing of cogs and yes I do think that would affect shifting/trimming of the rings too.

dave thompson
09-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you. I'm planning to use friction downtube shifter. Are you suggesting that I should get the first one, from the rivendell website?

I was a bit confused because you said that the second crankset with the ramps and pins are for indexed shifting but immediately after you say that it's appropriate for both friction and indexed shifting.

Just wanting some clarity.
Indexed shifting has positive clicks, moving the derailleur a predetermined amount. If the adjustment on indexed shifting is off, even a little bit the shifting becomes erratic and troublesome.The pins and ramps on the chainrings help the chain climb up onto the next ring. Pins and ramps are needed to make index shifting smooth and reliable.

On the other hand, with friction shifting you move the lever as much as necessary to make the shift, there are no clicks or stops. Pins and ramps aren't necessary to make friction shifting reliable.

Friction shifters work well on both kinds of chainrings, whereas index shifting only works well on pinned and ramped chainrings.

d.vader123
09-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Thank you Ken and Dave.