PDA

View Full Version : colnago geometry change ca. 2006-07 and "tweener" product

wallymann
09-09-2011, 10:22 AM
back in the 2006-2007 timeframe colnago made a company-wide shift in the geometry they use. why they did this, i have no idea, as the long-used colnago geometry and resultant handling was legendary.

whatever the reason, the change happened and i was led to believe that the geometry change-over was broken out by model, with the legacy C40/C50/Extreme-C having the old-geometry and the newer Extreme-Power/EPS/C59/Asian-models having the new-geometry.

HOWEVER, this old vs. new geometry breakdown is apparently is not so simple.

i recently measured up a NOS ca. 2007 Colnago C50 (non-custom, non-sloping) from R&A cycles in NYC. i would have expected this frame to half the old-geometry spec.

it was a 62cm frame (verified) and the top-tube length was definitely longer than you'd see in the old-geometry. the top-tube was 59cm, which is what is found in the new-geometry spec for a 62cm. but the head-tube length was still 185cm as found in the old-geometry spec.

i can only surmise that this geometry "gray area" exists for legacy models, such as the C50, which stayed in production for some time after the change-over to the new-geometry.

so if you're in the market for a C50 and maybe even an Extreme-C and want to be totally sure of the geometry, i suggest taking actual measurements of the frame in question!

below is a handy reference PDF i put together showing the old- and new-geometry tables.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29495821/ColnagoGeometryReference.pdf

dancinkozmo
09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
...or just buy a serotta and not worry about it :)

wallymann
09-09-2011, 11:50 AM
...or just buy a serotta and not worry about it :)

sure serotta has made more than his share of strange decisions regarding bicycle construction thru the years.

if you can explain this hideous seat-cluster in a way that makes sense, i'd love to hear it! when it comes to this part of a bike, wider is definitely not better.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29495821/serotta-strange-seatstays.jpg